Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 06:45 PM

83 posts, read 160,653 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am going to Scandinavia for 11 days and have a few questions. If there
is anyone out there with up to date info and suggestions I would greatly
appreciate it. Here is the deal.

Land in Oslo, staying two full days/nights at the Grand Hotel Oslo. Then
driving through Sweden, staying with family in a few different spots, nowhere too glamorous from what I have heard. Then we will end up
in Copenhagen for two nights near Tivoli Gardens.

I have done a ton of research etc, and still have some unanswered
questions. How much cash will I need to bring, and how can I get it
converted once I get there. Can I use my ATM card, should I is the
question. I will have a credit card (visa) for most purchases but I will
want some cash on us as well I would think.

Any other info on what to do while in Oslo, or Copenhagen? What to
stay away from? Anything regarding the drive in between, dangers or
things to see/do. We are 25, no kids, want to have fun but
nothing too crazy.

Food, how much does it cost? Availability of things I will be familiar with?

Thanks in advance for any help on the subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 03:25 AM

83 posts, read 325,080 times
I visited Denmark, Sweden and Norway while doing a Globus tour in September 2007. I would think what I saw would still be valid barring prices. Concerning how much cash you should bring, it depends on what you plan to buy over there. Also, how many meals will you have buy? Eating out there was expensive. A friend and I decided for some reason to have a steak dinner in Bergen and got a nasty shock. What would've cost $25 or $30 in the U.S. ended up costing over $65 with the exchange rate. The exchange rate is one thing that will undoubtedly hammer you.

Concerning ATMs, I used them virtually the whole time I was there with no problem. As far as I know, I got a good rate. My travel agent swears by them. You will need some cash while you're there.

While in Oslo, check out the Viking ship museum. The ships are real Viking ships they excavated from burial mounds. There are impressive. Also, if your budget can afford it, you might want to do dinner atop Holmenkollen (a place where they go cross country skiing). I had a great dinner there and the views overlooking Oslo at night were awesome. Lastly, if you're into Thor Heyderdahl and his exploits, you might want to check out his museum. It was something to see the Kon-tiki.

In Copenhagen, you have to see the Little Mermaid statue. It's very cute, easy to get to and doesn't cost anything to see it. Also, the Royal Reception rooms are very impressive. Each room is a work of art. Interestingly, you'll get to shine the floors while you're there. Visitors have to wear booties which actually shine the floors while they walk through. Concerning the Tivoli Gardens, I wasn't wiped out with them. You have to pay an admission to get in and another fee to ride the rides. Prices at restaurants inside the gardens tend to be slightly more than outside. The rides were all right. You could also do a canal boat ride of Copenhagen's canals. It was all right.

Ah, dangers. Watch out for the bicyclists in Copenhagen. They have special lanes right next to the streets and, they fly. I couldn't believe when our bus driver Per first warned me about them.

If you can make it to Stockholm while in Sweden, check out the Wasa Museum. It's the only surviving 16th century warship in the world. It is impressive. It also has an interesting story connected with it. Also, Mariefred has the Swedish national portrait gallery which was interesting. If you have time and it's running, they have a small scale train running there you can ride on. It looked pretty neat.

That's all I can think of. I hope you have a great time. Cheers!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 AM

Default alright

Thanks for that info.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
Credit cards are accepted at most of the tourists shops. You won't be able to use your bank card at the ATM unless your bank has some sort of partnership with local banks. As far as I know, that doesn't really exist even with big banks like Bank of America. Not sure if you have Capital One's credit card. If so, you are in luck as it is the only credit card that does not charge a foreign fee transaction. Everybody else tacks on a fee plus a percentage of your purchase which can be frustrating huge by the end of your trip. You can also go into Forex and withdraw money by charging your credit card. Forex should be in most of the cities. Not sure how much cash for you to bring as it really depends on where you go and what you do. Count on the fact that most sit down restaurants near the tourist areas will easily run you over $20+ per person for just entree. It will get expensive with wine, dessert etc.

Oslo: I agree on the Viking Ship Museum and Kon-tiki. I actually enjoyed Kon-tiki more. Don't forget Edvard Munch's famous "The Scream" is also in the National Gallery in Oslo. If you are not that into art, I would skip the National Gallery, which is ok, nothing spectacular. Otherwise, just stroll along Karl Johans' Gate to people watch.

BTW, Norway is the most expensive of the three Scandinavian countries by far. Be prepared to be shocked by prices.

Sweden: You'll probably be going down the West Coast if you heading toward Copenhagen. Can't help you there as I haven't been. Most of my experiences are in the Stockholm area.

Copenhagen: Tivoli is kind of fun, but expensive. Skip Christiana. Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek is also great if you are into art. Definitely do a canal boat trip around the city to get a good layout. I also liked strolling along Nyhavn.

Generally, Scandinavia is very safe. You shouldn't have to worry. However, always be cautious with the usual pick pockets in the big cities. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:35 AM

Default Thanks

Great help, thank you! I don't have Capital one, I will have to look into
what my credit card charges, and try to avoid that if possible.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:33 PM

Default Charging phone and camera

Can I charge my cell phone and camera in the sockets there if I have an adapter does anyone know?? The package on the adapters is confusing.
Anyone with experience on that?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander1 View Post
Can I charge my cell phone and camera in the sockets there if I have an adapter does anyone know?? The package on the adapters is confusing.

yes, unless you have 110V adapter only. But I guess all modern adapters are 110-240V so you should be fine.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:12 AM

221 posts, read 535,506 times
hey, im a norwegian and everyone who tells you this place is soo darn expensive - theyre completely right!!

what i find weird, though, is how you choose to stay in only oslo, copenhagen and some random place in sweden.

IMO oslo is nothing special. it is like any other city of 500 000 people, and has long been struggling with huge crime rates, drug addicts and such. it is also considered the uglier of the 3 scandinavian capitals - with stockholm being the prettiest (how come youre not going here??)

things to do in oslo: viking museum, holmenkollen (though i think its been demolished atm and theyre going to rebuild it), karl johans gate (main shopping street), aker brygge (another busy central area)..

if youre going to norway, itd be a mistake to only visit oslo. ive already told you about how the city is nothing special (though the city center is nice for a walk), but eastern norway in general isnt really an interesting place for tourists. the nature (which is one of the things norway is known for) in eastern norway, is just like the kind you can find pretty much anywhere!

where you need to go is western norway (and maybe northern norway, too - for the northern light ). Obviously you are going to think i am being biased saying this, but Bergen is definitely the number one tourist spot for tourists visiting norway. surrounded by seven mountains it offers spetacular views and is often called "the gateway to the fjords". the japanese seem to have understood this, and you therefore see loads of them over here at all times (though i strongly advise you to come here during the summer. it is so much nice then!!) dont let the rainy weather scare you - its not that bad during the summer!!

bergen is a city of 250 000 people, and we get more than 300 000 tourists BY ONLY CRUISE SHIPS every year.. another city that ive heard alot of great things about, is ålesund. in a recent survey it was voted the most beautiful city in norway, leaving bergen at second place (for the whole list - check this link:

And the decision is... - Reise - Dagbladet.no )

Ã¥lesund is soo small, though.. only 40 000 innhabitants, i think!!

i see youve already ordered 2 days in oslo, but seeing as you seem to be loaded with cash (staying at the grand and everything), you might want to stop by bergen before heading to sweden (its a 40 minute flight!!)

i see youre also going to copenhagen - beautiful city. sad to say, it is way better than oslo!! its got such an international feel, and its just.. *sigh* amazing, really. especially "strøget" - the main street!! (it is WAY better than oslos Karl Johan!)

anyways, have fun on your trip i hope youll be having a blast.. if you want any more info regarding bergen or any of the other places, feel free to contact me and ill do my best to inform you!

you should also be aware that our english skills are freaking awesome, so you will NOT have any problems with communicating with anyone/asking for directions etc!!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander1 View Post
No problem on cameras as long as you have the adapter. The phone will work in terms of charging, but if your phone uses CDMA technology (Sprint, Verizon, etc.) it will be incompatible with the European GSM system.

Rick Steves' Europe: Mobile Phones in Europe

BTW, I'd second City of Rain's suggestion to see the fjords while in Oslo. You might check into the Norway in the Nutshell tours that allow you to leave from Oslo do a loop to see Sognefjord/Bergen and then back to Oslo. It is best for people with not much time but would like to see some of Norway's magnificent countryside.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 PM

Default Great help

Great help you guys, thanks !!

City of Rain, actually from Norway huh?, cool. The reason for this whole
trip is for a wedding in Kvanum. I am going with some family from here.
My bro-in-law is marrying a girl from Sarpsborg I think it is? Her english
is very good yes, and she said the same thing about your english skills.
We just kind of did the best we could to see a little bit while we are there.
My relative did tell me, we were going to some of the less stunning areas
as far as scenery. I will look into those quick tours Chunky Monkey mentioned because I would hate to miss out on the mountains/fjords.
We get into Oslo at 1130am, then drive out 48 hours later so time is
limited. I want to eat well, and party Saturday and Sunday nights though.
Too bad, I was hoping Akerbrigge would be really cool.

I have this bad habit of smoking. I saw Oslo recently banned it everywhere, will I be able to smoke in places where I won't offend
anyone? Oh also, the Northern Lights sound great! City of Rain is probably
asleep as I write this it is 7pm Central time in the US (2am Norway).

If you have any specific tips about where to go in Oslo to eat, or drink etc. let me know. I like a more laid back crowd 25 and over?? Nothing
too crazy, but fun. Hopefully we avoid the crime you talked about. We
are from St. Louis and know a thing or two about crime.

I can't wait to get over there though. I will try to write about it when
I get back. I will likely make a video with the pics and video I take and
post it on YOUtube.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Skol.............I think? Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel