U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,659 times

Advertisements

i'm interested in moving to seattle, washington in a few years for college. and i was just wondering what are some differences between seattle and texas? when i move to seattle, i'll be on my own and moved out of my parent's house. so i am worried about how to be prepared for seattle's differences from texas', as well as living on my own.

i've lived in texas all my life, so i really have no idea what it's like to adjust to a new state, and i was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers in advance before i actually decide to move there.

also, the reason for moving to seattle, is only because of the weather. even though i've lived here in texas for all my life, i hate the hot weather, i can't stand any temperature over 50-60 degrees. and i love the rain better than i do the sunny days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:38 PM

6,154 posts, read 6,323,627 times
Goodbye Redneck...Hello Yuppy

As is in any area that has a million people you will encounter people from all walks of life. Seattle is on the expensive side as far as cost of living goes. Not sure what school you are planning to attend. University of Washington can be hard to get accepted. There are several other schools in the area.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,659 times
UW, actually.

how hard is it to get in?

Old 06-06-2009, 09:38 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,354,208 times
Out of state student tuition costs are ^high^. You'd want to live in Washington for a year to establish residency before approaching UW.

P.S. This thread would better be posted in the Seattle forum.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:43 PM

You need to have a high GPA in high school. I read somewhere that 8000 applications were turned down last year. Also, as a nonresident you can expect to pay about $25,000 per year for tuition alone.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:59 PM

51,816 posts, read 29,896,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiblexdifficle View Post
also, the reason for moving to seattle, is only because of the weather. even though i've lived here in texas for all my life, i hate the hot weather, i can't stand any temperature over 50-60 degrees. and i love the rain better than i do the sunny days.
Nothing wrong with rain, but for some people, 7 to 8 months of gray skies, rain, and sometimes snow and ice can get old. I lived about 200 miles south of Seattle in a small town outside of Portland, and I liked the rainy weather initially, but snow, ice, dangerous driving conditions, and the power outages, was a different story.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:09 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiblexdifficle View Post
i'm interested in moving to seattle, washington in a few years for college. and i was just wondering what are some differences between seattle and texas? when i move to seattle, i'll be on my own and moved out of my parent's house. so i am worried about how to be prepared for seattle's differences from texas', as well as living on my own.

i've lived in texas all my life, so i really have no idea what it's like to adjust to a new state, and i was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers in advance before i actually decide to move there.

I think that all young people should move across country and live a 1000+ miles from their parents. It creates a certain independence when you do not have someone to call when you are having a problem. Are you ready for that?

I think that I have lived in about twelve locations across the country and I hate to tell you, I have yet to find the perfect location. If you have some expectation that Seattle will be perfect, trust me, it is not. Usually you find something you hate about the different area.

Make sure that you make a visit or two before you make the decision.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I think that all young people should move across country and live a 1000+ miles from their parents.
Believe it or not that was one of the factors in my decision as to where to go to school. I did not make the 1000 mile mark, but it was far enough that running home for the weekend was not reasonable. At the same time I did not have to worry about unannounced visits from Mom and Dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or