U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 02:57 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,124,855 times

Advertisements

Taking amtrak to Washington,DC need hotels that are reasonable for family vacation.......thanks.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:10 AM

27 posts, read 127,987 times
Try the Embassy Suites in Crystal City. The rates are usually great, has two rooms (one king or two queen plus a living room w/pull out sofa), free made to order breakfast, free happy hour and its right on the metro line. No car needed. Have fun!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,124,855 times
Default CRYSTAL CITY: How far from Arlington, VA

wondering if we could go to Arlington National Cemetary from Crystal City without having to spend lots of money for transportation since we won't have a car..........

Old 06-08-2009, 10:26 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,767,414 times
Its all on the Metro. Crystal City is on the blue line, Arlington Cematary is on the blue line. Its just 3 stops away.

Here is the information on passes: Metro - Fares - Purchase - Passes & Farecards Day passes are a good value if you are traveling around a lot on metro and you can wait until after 9am. But if your plan is to go one place for the day (say, down to the Mall), you are better off getting a farecard with the exact amount.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:23 PM

228 posts, read 884,630 times
Check out TripAdvisor.com, and you can get up to date reviews for any hotels in the area. I never book a hotel room before checking with them.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM

212 posts, read 536,862 times
I don't know what you consider "reasonable" for a city hotel. I'd check out the L'enfant Plaza Hotel - they often have some good deals. The hotel is right by a metro station plus you can walk to most of the attractions - Smithsonian Museums, Lincoln Memorial, White House, Washington Monument. Plus, if you've got kids, there's a rooftop pool.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:09 PM

14,217 posts, read 44,878,144 times
The L'Enfant Plaza is very convenient but it's hard to get in for government per-diem rates, if that does not ring a bell with you, I'm saying it's fairly expensive.

I have stayed at the State Plaza hotel and liked it, it may have changed hands at least once since I stayed there. It's a 1950's building, it probably started off as apartments and went to being a hotel - most rooms are suites, have some sort of kitchenette - It was not flashy but was clean, when I stayed there several years ago. Not that many restaurants or attractions within walking distance of the hotel itself, but easy walk to the Metro.

Have fun. IMHO not bringing a car into DC is the way to go.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:10 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,463,539 times
I have stayed at the State Plaza but prefer the Homewood Suites which has a kitchen, but includes a buffet breakfast, It also includes a buffet light dinner, M-thurs. That includes, soda, beer and wine.

Diane G

Extended Stay Hotel - Massachusetts Avenue, Washington DC - Homewood Suites Hotels

Old 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM

3,286 posts, read 10,583,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Threads View Post
I don't know what you consider "reasonable" for a city hotel. I'd check out the L'enfant Plaza Hotel - they often have some good deals. The hotel is right by a metro station plus you can walk to most of the attractions - Smithsonian Museums, Lincoln Memorial, White House, Washington Monument. Plus, if you've got kids, there's a rooftop pool.
There's also a Holiday Inn a few blocks away from there, on the other side of the L'Enfant metro station. It might be a bit cheaper and you still have the same convenient location. There's also a Residence Inn by Federal Center (a few blocks away from L'Enfant) that has good reviews.

To get to L'Enfant, take the red line from Union Station to Gallery Place/Chinatown and transfer to either the yellow or green line and take it to L'Enfant Plaza. To get to the Residence Inn, take the red line from Union Station to Metro Center (1 stop past Gallery Place) and transfer to either the blue or orange line and get off at Federal Center SW. In both cases you're about 1.5-2 blocks away from the hotel once you get to the metro station.

Downtown Washington DC Hotels- Holiday Inn Capitol- Downtown DC Hotel

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...on-dc-capitol/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or