U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:02 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,964,527 times

Advertisements

Lake Louise and Banff! Incredible area. Best scenery on earth IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 07:44 PM

59 posts, read 126,615 times
There is a place about an hour south of Ottawa called "Upper Canada Village". It is a replica of an early 1800 village.
From the last weekend in Nov. to the first weekend in Jan. it is lit with thousands of strands of lights. It is beautiful to see both from the outside and inside the village. All the buildings and the trees are decorated. You can walk or ride a horse-drawn wagon. There is an artificial rink (There is not always enough snow or cold at this time of year)
There is also a train ride around the park which is decorated with more lights and Christmas scenes.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:25 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,534,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Lake Louise and Banff! Incredible area. Best scenery on earth IMO.
I am reviving this thread as I hope to go to Lake Louise and Banff in the next year or so.

Would those with knowledge and experience give me a little info to get started in my planning?

For instance, looks like flying in to Calgary is a given, right?

Are there affordable places to stay near Banff, or is it all resort expensive?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:29 AM

34,371 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Wouldnt starting a new topic focusing on your particular destination be more expedient than reviving a 3 year old post that the op never had the courtesy to return to?
Anyhow if you are in the south west corner of Alberta i can highly recommend
Waterton Lakes Provincial Park and or if you cross the border Glacier National Park.
Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump museum,truly inspiring.
Dinosaur Provincial Park
The drive from Banff to Jasper.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wouldnt starting a new topic focusing on your particular destination be more expedient than reviving a 3 year old post that the op never had the courtesy to return to?
Anyhow if you are in the south west corner of Alberta i can highly recommend
Waterton Lakes Provincial Park and or if you cross the border Glacier National Park.
Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump museum,truly inspiring.
Dinosaur Provincial Park
The drive from Banff to Jasper.
Thanks for the response The title of this old thread matched my exact needs, so that's why I just reopened it instead of posting a new one. Also, there is good info here that is still valid. But if I don't get many responses I will go ahead and open a new thread!

This will be my first trip to the Canadian Rockies, do you think a week is long enough to see all you have listed?

Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 AM

34,371 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

This will be my first trip to the Canadian Rockies, do you think a week is long enough to see all you have listed?
For the things i've listed a week should be fine maybe a bit tight if you stay anyplace too long..,
A few days at Waterton,boat ride up the lake highly recommended
Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump is a museum between Waterton and Ft McLoud shouldnt take more than a few hours to explore,a day or two at Banff,a day to drive to Jasper with maybe a couple of hours side trip to Lake Louise, Several Dinosaur parks Around DrumHeller or further south Dinosaur Provincial Park.
Let us know what you think..

Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For the things i've listed a week should be fine maybe a bit tight if you stay anyplace too long..,
A few days at Waterton,boat ride up the lake highly recommended
Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump is a museum between Waterton and Ft McLoud shouldnt take more than a few hours to explore,a day or two at Banff,a day to drive to Jasper with maybe a couple of hours side trip to Lake Louise, Several Dinosaur parks Around DrumHeller or further south Dinosaur Provincial Park.
Let us know what you think..
Thanks so much for all the suggestions!! I will start researching all that you have mentioned

Old 07-07-2012, 01:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
My first choice would be Calgary and the Canadian Rockies up through Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper.

Second would be the Atlantic and Maritimes.

Third would be Vancouver and the Island.

Fourth would be Toronto to Quebec City.

Based on my personal experience visiting all of th above. I'm also fond of Winnipeg, but wouldn't make a special trip there.

I second this ^^^

I do like New Brunswick (for the east side)

I have lived in BC Gulf Islands (Off Vancouver Island) That is a pretty nice place to put up for a few months if you have a sea kayak.

If you go to Montreal ... Leave your denim jeans home. They dress NICE there.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
There is no point going to Canada, if all you're going to do is visit the places near the US border. You'll just drink different brands of beer and carry coins that you can actually buy things with. Get off the beaten track and see the Canada that really is different from America. There is a pretty good paved road that goes up to the shores of Hudson Bay in Quebec, (well, actually, only as far as James Bay) to a few Indian towns up there with decent accommodations. Another road (mostly gravel, I think) goes through Quebec to Labrador, which is pretty unique. Further west, you can drive on a good, fast road to the Northwest Territories, but take about a gallon of mosquito repellent. Newfoundland is totally another world, but it's a long all-day or overnight ferry trip to get there.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is no point going to Canada, if all you're going to do is visit the places near the US border. You'll just drink different brands of beer and carry coins that you can actually buy things with. Get off the beaten track and see the Canada that really is different from America. There is a pretty good paved road that goes up to the shores of Hudson Bay in Quebec, (well, actually, only as far as James Bay) to a few Indian towns up there with decent accommodations. Another road (mostly gravel, I think) goes through Quebec to Labrador, which is pretty unique. Further west, you can drive on a good, fast road to the Northwest Territories, but take about a gallon of mosquito repellent. Newfoundland is totally another world, but it's a long all-day or overnight ferry trip to get there.
I do plan to go to Newfoundland one day, it's on the list!

But this trip I want to see the Western Canadian Rockies and I think there are lots of good reasons to do so

In addition to seeing Lake Louise and Glacier National Park, I want to visit Nelson - the town where the movie "Roxanne" with Steve Martin was filmed.

Anyone got any tips/opinions about Nelson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or