U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 PM

4,241 posts, read 8,089,320 times

Advertisements

I get a kick out of these kinds of threads: a first time poster asks 'where to visit' in one of the largest countries on the planet.
4 pages of good ideas, debates and slight arm wrestles later, the OP never posted to help qualify the vague OP,
and none of us know if the OP ever came around/drove by again, to read the info.

Can't make this stuff up... ;>)
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 02:59 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,056,756 times
Let me strongly suggest Ottawa, the capital of Canada. Why? It appears that the OP has never been to Canada before. Ottawa is a good place to learn about the country before exploring it more. It should prove to be a good introduction to Canada. There is also good opportunities nearby for excursions from the capital; Toronto, Niagara Falls, Algonquin Provincial Park and excursions into Quebec. I know people tend to overlook Ottawa, but I would never recommend that. Ottawa, to me, was well worth the trip.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Let me strongly suggest Ottawa, the capital of Canada. Why? It appears that the OP has never been to Canada before. Ottawa is a good place to learn about the country before exploring it more. It should prove to be a good introduction to Canada. There is also good opportunities nearby for excursions from the capital; Toronto, Niagara Falls, Algonquin Provincial Park and excursions into Quebec. I know people tend to overlook Ottawa, but I would never recommend that. Ottawa, to me, was well worth the trip.
Agreed. Ottawa is one of the most underrated cities in Canada. I spent a week there each year during my college years. Had a blast at Carleton University.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:04 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,323,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is no point going to Canada, if all you're going to do is visit the places near the US border. You'll just drink different brands of beer and carry coins that you can actually buy things with. Get off the beaten track and see the Canada that really is different from America. There is a pretty good paved road that goes up to the shores of Hudson Bay in Quebec, (well, actually, only as far as James Bay) to a few Indian towns up there with decent accommodations. Another road (mostly gravel, I think) goes through Quebec to Labrador, which is pretty unique. Further west, you can drive on a good, fast road to the Northwest Territories, but take about a gallon of mosquito repellent. Newfoundland is totally another world, but it's a long all-day or overnight ferry trip to get there.
The ferry from North Sydney, NS to Port-aux-Basques, NL is 7 hours, depending on the sea conditions. Of course, you have to get to North Sydney first, which may literally take days depending on your starting point.

As for "real Canada", it should be noted that more than 80% of Canada's population lives within 50 miles of the U.S. border, so the places near the U.S. border are actually the most accurate reflection of Canadian (or should I say North American) culture.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 AM

117 posts, read 214,881 times
Niagara Falls!!! You'll love the beauteous Canadian view!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or