U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:36 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,349,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post

My life in Senegal certainly got me to appreciate what I have in the U.S. It also made me feel disgusted at having 100 cereals to choose from. All the petty things we "demand", we think are our "right." I also learned a lot about family and support systems like we don't have here...like hope in the face of adversity, like loving life and truely appreciating it. I don't think anyone in the village is analyzing whether their mother was too hard on them, and needs therapy. They work hard to survive and they do it with more joy than I see on the faces on most of the people in the US, despite all that we have.
EXCELLENT post, MaimounaKande! That's something we Americans (even most of us that are well-traveled) rarely stop to think about. When we visited Soweto, I remember how content people were despite having FAR less than our "poor" people have. And, yes, we don't face NEAR the adversity that many in other countries face. I believe that what happened in New Orleans when Katrina blew through was the perfect example of why we are worse off than other peoples because we are so "CIVILIZED"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 04:17 AM

432 posts, read 369,978 times
I visisted Kenya a month ago and I was pleasantly surprised. Nairobi the capital is a modern city while still havingf an African flavor.

Here are some pics of the skyline..

Old 12-20-2007, 04:59 AM

12,030 posts, read 16,768,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Why does everyone insist on calling poverty stricken Countries in Africa "DEVELOPING COUNTRIES"? Is this a politically correct way of saying THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES?
The PC term is actually the Global South. The 3rd world really holds no meaning anymore because there is no 2nd world (formerly the Soviet bloc). Underdeveloped or developing countries is considerably less PC than the Global South or discussions on North-South relations. And no, the Global South really doesn't have much bearing on geography (obviously NZ and Australia are in the Southern Hemisphere) except that MOST states in the South are poor and most of the poorest states are in the South.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:37 PM

89 posts, read 76,262 times
Only South Africa really. It was really fun!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:19 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
I've been to Egypt and Eritrea.

Having been out to the villages with my stepfather to see his family really puts your world into perspective. These people literally don't have a pot to pee in. No power, no running water, no nothing.

Absolutely fantastic people, and never met people more happy. We could sure learn alot.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:20 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Only in South Africa, Egypt, Swaziland. People here remark how happy people there are, and I can attest to that. But also you have to realize just the amount of suffering the people of that contitenent have endured - by their own countrymen and other nations. Basically, each country seems to have undergone, or is currently undergoing, exactly what Iraq is undergoing - civil war, ethnic (or tribal) cleansing, ruthless dictators (Idi Amin, etc), combine AIDS and biblical level famine into the equation. They just get alot less news about it.

We can indeed learn alot from them, of not what to become.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:53 PM

5 posts, read 14,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
If possible, could you tell me what it's like there?

Sure, you have developing nations such as Egypt and South Africa, but what about poorer countries? Has anybody ever been to one?

I don't get the term "third-world country". Which is why I would like to know if anyones ever been to the poorer parts of Africa, hopefully so they can give me an insight to what it's really like.
I HAVE LIVED IN EGYPT FOR 3 YEARS..THERE ARE POOR PARTS THERE OFF THE BEATEN TRACK..BUT THE PEOPLE STILL INVITE YOU AND WELCOME YOU TO THERE HOUSE AND FEED YOU...THERE HOSPITALLITY IS SOMETHING ELSE AND I THINK ITS A SHAME WESTERN COUTRIES COULDNT BE LIKE THIS..I HOPE TO GO BACK NEXT YEAR....I LOVE IT THERE THE CULTURE...THE PEOPLE...THE LAND

Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,154,728 times
- Morocco and Algeria (in the 70's) : wasn't much impressed (Morocco was already wayyyy better than Algeria then, though)
- Egypt a few months after Anwar El Sadat's assassination : very interesting, incomparably more than the previous (ancient history, bustling Cairo, a more cultured feeling)
- The Canary islands are technically part of N Africa, but of course, being part of Spain, they are very different. I enjoyed it, but found Tenerife better than Gran Canaria (went recently)
Never been to tropical Africa, but I must say that I'm not too keen, most of it are insecure versus downright dangerous for an American/European citizen.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Old Post (2007) Warning!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
I have visited Botswana & South Africa. I found Botswana to be a relatively safe country with no real racial tension, but HIV is definitely a problem there.
In South Africa I visited Johannesburg (which had very poor sections and very wealthy sections) as well as the Cradle of Humankind Safari (Cradle of Humankind, South Africa).
I know someone who works on and off in Angola. He told me that Luanda (the capital) is very dangerous especially for foreigners who can be mugged even while sitting in their cars while stopped at an intersection/traffic light. A colleague of his was mugged as he was getting into his car at Luanda's international airport.
I have a cousin who was in Lesotho during his Peace Corps stint (many years ago) and wasn't able to hitch a ride easily as the drivers wouldn't stop because they couldn't tell if he is black or white. (My cousin is half Japanese.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or