U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM

1,733 posts, read 3,846,482 times

Advertisements

We plan on visiting relatives in Douglas, WY in late July and I was wondering what everyone thought would be the best airline to use? How about using online travel agencies? I'll be traveling with my elderly mother in law so I'd like to only have to make one stopover. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 02:50 PM

6,156 posts, read 6,324,492 times
The travel sites I checked do not show anything going into Douglas. It is possible some small carrier that does not particpate with the online companies may fly there. Your best bet would to contact family there and ask if anyone flies there. Otherwise you are probably going to have to fly to Casper and drive the rest of the way. Philly to Casper is easy enough with only 1 plane change in Denver, Salt Lake, or Minneapolis.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
The travel sites I checked do not show anything going into Douglas. It is possible some small carrier that does not particpate with the online companies may fly there. Your best bet would to contact family there and ask if anyone flies there. Otherwise you are probably going to have to fly to Casper and drive the rest of the way. Philly to Casper is easy enough with only 1 plane change in Denver, Salt Lake, or Minneapolis.
Thanks for the help. Would you recommend any airline or online site?

Old 06-11-2009, 04:11 PM

You might try Travelocity. They show several options Philly to Casper. No recommendations as to which airline. After looking at the online agencies suggested flights, you might want to go directly to the airlines website to see if you can get a better fare.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:47 PM

Not sure how much you have flown so I thought I add a few things.

I would allow at least an hour between connecting flights. Your connecting flights may be some distance apart.

If your MIL does not get around very well, you might want to arrainge for a wheelchair at the connecting airports. You can do this when booking the ticket. Be sure to follow up on this when you are at the boarding gate of your first flight.

Your flight into Casper will be on a smaller aircraft. These smaller aircraft have very little overhead space for carry on bags. Most of them will not hold anything bigger than a large purse or book pack. Anything larger will have to be gate checked and loaded with the baggage.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Not sure how much you have flown so I thought I add a few things.

I would allow at least an hour between connecting flights. Your connecting flights may be some distance apart.

If your MIL does not get around very well, you might want to arrainge for a wheelchair at the connecting airports. You can do this when booking the ticket. Be sure to follow up on this when you are at the boarding gate of your first flight.

Your flight into Casper will be on a smaller aircraft. These smaller aircraft have very little overhead space for carry on bags. Most of them will not hold anything bigger than a large purse or book pack. Anything larger will have to be gate checked and loaded with the baggage.
Much appreciated, Alaskan Mutt. My wife and I have flown a few times but this is the first time with my mother in law. She had open heart surgery last year so her needs are top priority. Thanks again.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Salt Lake is going to be the smallest and definitely most navigable airport to make teh conenction in. One thing to note, some of those smaller commuter jets don't use a jetway but rather stairs on teh tarmac, if your mother-in-law has trouble with stairs you want to book carefully.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:30 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,403,295 times
To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a commercial scheduled airline serving Douglas at the Converse County Airport. With only a 6,500' long runway, it's not set up for jet airline service.

Great Lakes is the regional carrier with turbo-prop service in Wyoming, and they don't list flights to Douglas.

My advice would be to book your main carrier to Denver, then use Great Lakes for a commuter flight to Cheyenne. You'll then need to get a rental car to drive to Douglas. Alternatively, you could book a charter flight to Douglas from Cheyenne, but that would be somewhat pricey. You'll still need ground transportation of your own in Douglas.

United shows commuter flights from Denver to Casper or SLC to Casper. However, they are priced at $450-500 roundtrip, which I think is somewhat exorbitant compared to the cost of renting a car in Cheyenne, which is still a $200 round-trip flight from Denver.

The most reasonable cost would be to fly PA to Denver, then rent a car there and drive to Douglas. Perhaps a 5 hour drive in good weather.

Last edited by sunsprit; 06-12-2009 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 AM

Thank you very much for the advice, everyone. I'm going to explore all options and make a decision soon. Does anyone know about the ride from Denver International Airport to Douglas. Uneventfully, I hope.

What about taking a train from Cheyenne airport into Douglas?

Last edited by lititzman2003; 06-16-2009 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel