U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:11 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,179,113 times

Advertisements

Our family looked at taking AmTrak from Nebraska to Oregon later this summer. But the cost per person was more than we were willing to spend. PLus the extras that you would need to purchase, the length of the trip, we all decisions that steered us away from train travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:40 AM

6,166 posts, read 6,335,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhills Guru View Post
Our family looked at taking AmTrak from Nebraska to Oregon later this summer. But the cost per person was more than we were willing to spend. PLus the extras that you would need to purchase, the length of the trip, we all decisions that steered us away from train travel.
If you are flexable you might try changing your travel days by 1 or 2 days. When I rode Amtrak for 4 days I was able to save almost 50 percent by changing the date of travel by 2 days.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:11 PM

83 posts, read 300,350 times
I took the autotrain from Sanford, Florida to Lorton, Virginia once. It was great. It saved me something like 2 days of driving, a lot of wear and tear on my car and I arrived rested and ready to go. I had a nice breakfast and dinner on the train. My cabin was very nice. The autotrain is a great way to take your car down to Orlando vice having to rent one there.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,125,883 times
Back in the 60s I use to travel by train a lot and really enjoyed it. About 3 years ago I decided to renew my acquaintence with train travel. I took the train from Chicago to Tuscon AZ....I had purchased a round trip ticket. The train was very crowded and quite dirty and the meal service was spotty at best....sometimes non existent. But the worst aspect of the trip were the attendents. A couple of them were so downright hostile and rude that it really was beyond bearing. When it came time for my return trip I bought an airline ticket and flew. I can not tell you how disappointed I was because I had looked forward to this trip a great deal. But it sure was nothing like the comfortable ride with gracious, polite attendents that I use to experience.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:02 PM

83 posts, read 300,350 times
I haven't experienced anything that bad. The worst I saw was when I took a train from Richmond to BWI Amtrak. The train was already 2 hours late. At Washington D.C. Union Station, they change the engines from diesel to electric. They knew the train was coming and it was running late. You would've thought they would've hustled to make some time. They sure didn't. They got even further behind. By the time I arrived at BWI Amtrak, I was over 3 hours late. I was very annoyed.

It experiences like LML had that ensure Amtrak is always going to have a hard time. I don't think that they care much though as they can pretty much count on getting a government handout. Their jobs are probably pretty secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel