U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,671,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That is pure BS. Are you serious? After you spend three hours on the Internet sucking the life out of it finding the cheapest fare you can find you expect an FA to supply you with playing cards and reading material and pay for it out of their own pocket? If you want to play cards or read on the plane go on the Internet for three hours and suck the life out of it and find the cheapest deck of cards and the cheapest magazine you can and carry it on the plane in your over-sized carry-on.

Aspirin is a whole 'nother story. It's drug. Don't expect an FA to give you drugs. Aren't you smart enough to anticipate that you will have a headache after spending all that time on the Internet finding all those cheapo items? Take your own aspirin on the plane. You have plenty of room in that sherpa bag, I'm sure.

As someone mentioned earlier people's IQ's drop in half when they get on a plane.
What's pure BS is that you quoted my post without reading any of it except for the last sentence. Had you started with my first sentence, you'd have read that I said, "Most planes have magazines available and they should have aspirin available, but I don't expect them to have either. A deck of cards is hardly a "resort" luxury item, but again, I don't expect any plane to have decks of cards available for the passengers. That's not my point."

Had you read that, you'd know that I clearly stated I don't expect the airline to provide these things, and you wouldn't have sounded so ignorant by saying, "After you spend three hours on the Internet sucking the life out of it finding the cheapest fare you can find you expect an FA to supply you with playing cards and reading material and pay for it out of their own pocket?" NO, I don't expect that.

I expect them to understand that their job is dealing face-to-face with customers and to not cop an attitude about customers' requests, even when the requests are unreasonable. I don't EXPECT them to pay out of pocket for anything; however, a good F/A would have certain things on hand to help make his or her job easier and to please customers. In the old days they'd give kids "wings" - a pin of captain's wings, to appease kids. I have seen some smart, good F/A's who carry candy to give to whiney kids.

If there is a legal issue or job prohibition against giving out aspirin or even candy then I don't expect them to break any rules. Still, there are ways to show the right attitude.

When I do training classes, I will occasionally splurge for treats for my folks, even out of my own pocket. When I was in sales I kept a bowl of Hershey's kisses for customers to take. It shouldn't have been, and wasn't, EXPECTED of me to do this, but I did it.

But I expect no F/A to pay out of pocket for anything; I expect them to have a good attitude. You obviously didn't even read my post, and now you come across as an ignoramus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:33 AM

28,243 posts, read 39,908,153 times
And yet after all that you state that the FA has a negative attitude because she considers a deck of cards, magazines and aspirin to be "resort" items. The FA is being realistic.

In case you haven't been on a plane in the last 10 years I will clue you in on something: They are not "resorts" and your lengthy discussions of what "should" be and what "could" be boil down to one thing: You still expect an FA to hand you a deck of cards because you think you are entitled. It doesn't matter who pays for it; you expect it, and since the airlines aren't supplying it there is only one person left to pay for it, and it isn't you.

I did read your post. I read between the lines in all your posts and they all say the same thing; I'm going to sound really reasonable. but I'm still going to make my point that I expect to be given cards, and magazines because that's what I do in my business. You then go on to say you don't expect FA's to do the same. Really? Then why bring it up at all? I mean which is it; you expect them to give you things or you don't? Pick an option here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I don't EXPECT them to pay out of pocket for anything; however, a good F/A would have certain things on hand to help make his or her job easier and to please customers. In the old days they'd give kids "wings" - a pin of captain's wings, to appease kids. I have seen some smart, good F/A's who carry candy to give to whiney kids.
"

And here you are again claiming that you don't EXPECT them to pay for anything out of their meager pay, BUT to be considered a good FA they should. BTW those all caps words really make a point. Everyone appreciates yelling so I thought I'd join in.

Somewhere in the middle of your posts you should find a point and stay with it. The only person coming across as an ignoramus here is you.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:39 AM

28,243 posts, read 39,908,153 times
LMAO! That post you got so upset about is popping rep points for me. Seems like I am not alone in my thoughts.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:39 PM

11 posts, read 60,998 times
I was browsing through the post here and have something to say. It is not just the FA's who catch a lot of flak from passengers who think the airline owes them things. I see it in restaurants, offices, any place where one person deals with the general public. If there is anything that ticks me off, it is some jackass who gripes about a waitress not waiting on him within a few minutes, it is some idiot who never heard of the word patience, it is some dolt who figures he/she is entitled to have someone at their back and call no matter what. In short, no matter what state or city I go to, the same thing....it is this damm "me, myself, and I" attitude. Why some people don't grow up is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or