U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2009, 09:49 AM
 
11,933 posts, read 21,523,778 times
Reputation: 11711

Advertisements

Flight Attendants these days make anywhere from $15,000/yr to $40,000/yr, they've taken tremendous pay and benefit cuts. So they're all a little jaded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Flight Attendants these days make anywhere from $15,000/yr to $40,000/yr, they've taken tremendous pay and benefit cuts. So they're all a little jaded.
I know two FA's based out of PHL who made under $13K last year because their lack of seniority keeps them from bidding on the good routes and they end up with a lot of deadheads. Both are still living in their parents homes because there's no way they can afford their own place. One is giving it three more years, and is quitting when she turns 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Aloverton
6,564 posts, read 12,306,823 times
Reputation: 10018
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I know two FA's based out of PHL who made under $13K last year because their lack of seniority keeps them from bidding on the good routes and they end up with a lot of deadheads. Both are still living in their parents homes because there's no way they can afford their own place. One is giving it three more years, and is quitting when she turns 30.
I don't blame them a bit. I wouldn't get into an airplane every day for $40K, much less $13K. At the same time, the passengers (those who have not simply given up on or avoided flying) on the plane didn't cut the flight attendants' salary or ruin air travel. If passengers should not be surly because flight attendants aren't the ones who made the rules to make air travel miserable, then likewise, flight attendants shouldn't take out on passengers the fact that the suits in the boardroom have Wal-Martized travel by air (and then wonder why it's now trashy).

The cold reality here is that passengers and flight crew alike are both victims of crummy business management. They ought to be natural allies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Orlando
8,178 posts, read 16,547,987 times
Reputation: 49780
I guess I don't have a problem with the Flight Attendants.

The only time I interact with them is the greeting at the door, a drink and a goodbye.

They aren't there to entertain me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Reputation: 13019
In all honesty I'd say that maybe 5% of the FA's I run into have bad attitudes. Generally speaking they're very pleasant and an asset to thier carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Norwood, MN
1,828 posts, read 3,360,180 times
Reputation: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I've read enough flight attendant books to have a pretty good idea of what they think of the traveling public. Well, fine, I ain't so fond of them either, but what I think hardly matters, because there is nothing I can do to change it and if I even seem to get mad, I might end up in trouble that's far more trouble than it's worth. They have all power and I have none, since my only recourse is to refuse to fly on that airline in the future, which affects them exactly zero because they couldn't care less whether I do or not. So I just endure the situation, ask nothing and expect nothing, bring my own food and beverages when I can, and get from point A to point B as inconspicuously as I can. Unless it's intercontinental, it's only a few hours of jail and the guards aren't wielding nightsticks, so I can do my own time like a model prisoner. As in the lockup, what I think of it is irrelevant; it just is and I deal with it.

I do sympathize with some of the more preposterous and peremptory demands idiots make, like diaper changes and more liquor than they should have (the very last thing I would do on a modern airplane is drink alcohol even if it were free). And if someone grabs their buns on the way by, I'll gladly hold the lech while she busts him in the mouth. But the whole idea of flying as fun is long gone. Its only benefit is speed; a Greyhound is more comfortable and relaxing, comes down to that.
I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Riding a bus is MUCH better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
14,233 posts, read 44,903,829 times
Reputation: 12813
JKK, you are 100% right and I have little to add, tried to rep you but "have to spread the love around" some first.

The hell of it is, before 9-11, flying was fairly fun, I flew a lot, almost always got upgraded, it's nice up in First. You are right that it's better not to drink alcohol (or any diuretic) as the plane air is thin and dry, you lose enough water as it is, but being cooped up with little else to amuse me, and good wine on offer for free, I generally indulged. The flight attendants were much friendlier in those days, or so it seemed, I sort of knew a few of them, not by name but we recognized each other's face anyway.

But, sadly, as you say, the suits and TSA have pretty much ruined it, I avoid flying as much as I can. I did ride a Greyhound to Seattle last summer, and, yes, it was a better experience than I have had flying since 9-11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,701 posts, read 4,670,319 times
Reputation: 3676
The thing I don't get is why so many flight attendants here in the US are so.... "rough". I mean, they seem a bit mean, unhappy, etc. It's so different from flight attendants on some foreign carriers- the Asian ones (I've flown Thai, China Southern, and Korean) are worlds apart. They are incredibly patient, friendly, all smiles, provide top notch service, and on top of that are gorgeous. My wife is from China, and after coming here to the US she just couldn't believe the difference in "quality" of flight attendants we have.
Has it fallen that quickly from being a good job to a bad one, that nobody really wants? Maybe that's the difference. In China becoming a flight attendant is a very good job, and out of all of the people that apply and go through training, only the very best get the jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Norwood, MN
1,828 posts, read 3,360,180 times
Reputation: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Flight Attendants these days make anywhere from $15,000/yr to $40,000/yr, they've taken tremendous pay and benefit cuts. So they're all a little jaded.
Do they deserve any more? I would doubt it it is an unskilled job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 12:56 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Riding a bus is MUCH better.
My guess is that if you took Greyhound from Bar Harbor, Maine to San Diengo, CA you would change your mind about the point that you hit the MIssissippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top