U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:57 PM

12,272 posts, read 18,397,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
The thing I don't get is why so many flight attendants here in the US are so.... "rough". I mean, they seem a bit mean, unhappy, etc. It's so different from flight attendants on some foreign carriers- the Asian ones (I've flown Thai, China Southern, and Korean) are worlds apart.
I've seen the difference. Lets be frank here, unions are partly to blame. I see alot of domestic flight attendants in there 40's and 50's, and that's OK, but you have to wonder if at this point they just can't be fired whatever they do, and they know it.

And 9/11. OK we all know the risks and dangers. But I have to ask all flight attendants to not use the excuse of "everything changed after 9/11". We know that, we also know a 110 lb flight attendant will not be responsible for security on a plane. We will do that ourselves, thank your very much. Get back to your first priority - serving drinks (water, peanuts, whatever) with a smile and lose the attititude.

But again this is with the small surly minority. I never have trouble with FA's, but I notice the differences in attitude in treating their customers - small things, but it's noticable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 01:09 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Flight attendents are responsible for the safety of passengers, which often means protecting passengers from their own utter stupidity. (There should be a special section on teh wing for some of them!)

I don't expect a FA to stop a hijacking, but I'd be glad that s/he was onboard if someone needed CPR or had any number of other emergencies.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:11 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,399,948 times
How do you annoy anyone? Just be a d*ck!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,303,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Do they deserve any more? I would doubt it it is an unskilled job.
I'll say a word for them on this one. They have to be prepared to deal with a wide variety of human and mechanical eventualities that your typical waitress need not endure, most of which come from being in an unnatural environment (pressurized enclosed space higher than Mt. Everest) and where no one can just get up and leave even if her baby is screaming, or she has diarrhea big time, or she has a horrible panic attack, or she has a heart attack, or her husband is drunk and getting obnoxious. And in which everyone's a little stressed for that reason. And in which they must constantly rub bodies with a gazillion strangers from every corner of the world, some of whom breathe heavily with excitement during the contact, and all potentially carrying some form of cold or flu to which they haven't yet been exposed. To me that's worth some kind of premium.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:13 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,606,217 times
2 stories from a former flight attendant (I have dozens more but will only share the ones that aren't horrifying).

1. Flying from Atlanta to Vegas. 3 guys get on (in coach) and before they even sit down, one asks me for a Budweiser. I told him that he'd have to wait until we took off and began our beverage service. After we take off and the captain rang the bell to let us know it was okay to get up, I began walking down the aisle towards the back and the same guy asks me for a Budweiser. I tell him I'll get him one when we roll the cart down the aisle. As I get to the back, I put on my apron and we get the cart set up and sure enough, the call button goes off. I go to see what it is and yep, the guy for the Bud. I get him the Bud and he gives me $20. I ask him if he's got anything smaller and he says no. I get on the intercom and find him change. When we get back to his seat, he wants another Bud. He hands me a $20 (after I had just brought him back $16). I ask him for a smaller bill and he tells me he doesn't have one (not true). I find him change. By the time we reach the back and put the cart away, he rings the call button again. Again, asks for a Bud (our limit is 3) and hands me another friggin' $20, but this time with a smirk. So, I go to the back, get his Bud, shake the living hell out of it for about 2 minutes, then walk up, give him his change, give him ONE little square napkin, walk away, and smirk when I hear it explode and hear him shout as he's being sprayed with foam.

2. We begin boarding from Orange County to Phoenix. First guy down the ramp (first class passenger) gets on with one of those HUGE foldover carry on bags and is talking on his cell phone. He realizes he doesn't get good reception on the plane so he steps off with his bag , stands on the ramp, and proceeds to talk on the phone while the entire plane is being boarded. After the plane is full, the overhead compartments are closed, he is still on his phone. I tell him, "sir, we are ready to push back" and he holds up his pointer finger at me to tell me to "wait" so he can finish his conversation. Eventually, the gate agent tells him that we are now late and he needs to end the call. He finally does and when he opens the overhead bins, there is no space for his luggage. He turns around, drops his bag at my feet and tells me "find a place for this." I tell him that we have no space but since he is flying in first class, the ramper can bring his luggage to the bottom and then bring it up when we arrive in Phoenix. He interrupts me to say, "No, my luggage stays here with me." I tell him I'm sorry but that's not possible. He starts using a voice and speaking really slowly to me acting as if I'm an imbecile and says, "You. Need. To. Find. A. Place. For. My. Bag." I tell him, "okay, we're late. Either we can put your bag down below or you and your bag can wait for the next flight." By this time, of course, everyone is watching us and he says, "Fine, *****, put it down below." The ramper overhears this conversation and rolls his eyes as he takes the bag below. He comes up later and before I shut the door, whispers to me, "that guys bag? It's on that plane over there" (and points to the neighboring plane...who knows where it went). The bag had no tags so it's doubtful they found it.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:17 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
First all maybe it's time for Flyers to read and sign an etiquette form before being allowed on the airline. And I'll in order of the list. 1) these are the ones who fly with Sherpa bags. They won't pay for the 2nd seat nor pay for pet storage (requires a note from thier vet within a week of flying). I've seen at toy breed walk by more than once. 2) I see this being done. I don't know why people just don't do a gate check. It will be waiting for them the second they get off the plane. Actually I do the gate check since some of my flights are to close together and there is not another flight until the next day to continue on next leg of flight. 3) Actually for those of us who flew upwards of the 70's then most of thse items were available on the plane during a flight. 4) Sometimes a little assistance is helpful to give it a little push into the tight slot. Not all planes have the same overheads. And again there is gate check-in. This should be caught by the ticket takers. 5) For most airlines you choose your seats online now. You can always check if one has freed up on the day you check in. 6) Its gotten to the point that the only thing thst fits under the seat in front of you is a pair of shoes. This is the electronics (seat back TVs) being loaded there. 7) Who complains about fares anymore, now its fees that add up to nearly the cost of the ticket.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:43 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,740,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Get back to your first priority - serving drinks (water, peanuts, whatever) with a smile and lose the attititude.

This is where the misunderstanding is.

A flight attendant's first priority is to save your dumb ass in an emergency. Serving your drink is just a courtesy.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,312,141 times
I agree with STAN4. I sit quietly in my seat and read my book, but I also notice the attendants have gotten ruder and ruder in the past couple of years. It's like there doing us a favor by selling us a soft drink! If we stop flying who will pay their salary?

Old 06-12-2009, 04:10 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,303,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I agree with STAN4. I sit quietly in my seat and read my book, but I also notice the attendants have gotten ruder and ruder in the past couple of years. It's like there doing us a favor by selling us a soft drink! If we stop flying who will pay their salary?
That's part of the problem. Their salaries have gotten sufficiently low that there's no reason they should care much if their jobs go away.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:24 PM

23,936 posts, read 11,912,132 times
Can't resist this.

I haven't flown on the airlines since 03. That was when I inherited my Cessna T-310 twin engine plane.

I don't care how expensive it is to fly me and my family around, the convenience of not being a slave to the airlines hub-and-spoke schedule, not being felt up by TSA, having our bags pawed through by minimum wage crooks, come and go as we please is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or