U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 PM

12,299 posts, read 18,417,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And FA's are also the ones who make sure that passengers who are able to help in an emergency are the one in those exit rows. If it wasn't for them, we'd have the hard of hearing granny and her daughter with the four year old and one year old lap baby sitting there and refusing to budge.
Yes....I was really amused when they put an extremely drunk female passenger with some kind of flight anxiety issue in the middle seat exit row (I was in the window seat) on one flight. She was talking incoherently, putting her hands on my and the aisle passengers legs, and the aisle passenger was desperatly trying to hint to the FA to not serve the passenger any more drinks, to no avail. I was seriously afraid to get up to pee and leave the exit window unguarded! The aisle passenger, myself, and eveyone around us was laughing after the flight, it was so obvious how out of it she was. The FA sure did a great job that night.

...but we are really getting offtopic. For the record, again, I have no problem with FA's except that they seem angrier nowadays. Most of the items in that original article probably irratate me (huge carry on luggage, don't get me started) more then they do an average flight attendant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,608,316 times
I graduated from college and my first job in the "real world" was one that caused me so much stress that I actually saw a doctor because I thought I was having a heart attack. A friend of mine was a crew scheduler for an airline and he told me to apply for a job. I applied but went into FA training knowing I was only going to stay for a few years until I could figure out what to do with my life!

What's interesting is that I went through 16 weeks of training and only one day was devoted to beverage service. Every single day was preparing for emergencies and dealing with medical issues. The reality is that 99% of the job IS serving beverages but I now take comfort in knowing that the FAs on the plane can perform CPR and have basic medical training. I flew for the dearly departed America West and my starting salary was $12,000 per year. When I worked lots of overtime and took as many 4-day trips that I could, I was excited to bring home a check for $900 (for 2 weeks). There were days when I was so tired I honestly didn't even know if I was at home or in a hotel. That was the end of my "career." I decided to leave before I got surly!

I flew for 2 years and that job was the first I had ever done with the public. I was absolutely shocked to see first hand how rude people are. The hardest thing about being a FA was that you dealt with someone whose girlfriend just broke up with them, they got stuck in traffic on the way to the airport, they couldn't find parking, they had to stand in a really long line to check in, they spilled coffee on their pants in the waiting area, then they get into a sealed tube and you tell them you're out of Dr. Pepper. You are the final straw and all hell is about to break loose.

For the most part, however, it was a great job. We got to meet all kinds of celebrities, I got to fly a few pro sports teams around, we witnessed marriage proposals, saw people coming out of the bathroom after joining the mile-high club, I saw every single city our airline flew to and had a great time in every one (even Wichita and Milwaukee), and got to meet some really nice people. I don't miss it at all, however and am really glad I wasn't flying during 9-11.

We just had an airline run off the runway here in Denver and the plane exploded in fire. Had the FAs not done their job as well as they did, people would have died. The crew were the lifesavers on the plane...they knew not to open the back door (and stopped a frightened passenger from doing so) and when the news crews were allowed access to the plane, they said over and over how miraculous it was that people had not died. The overhead bins were melted. That same person who might not have smiled as big as you would have liked or not handed you your Coke with a smile is the same person who will make sure you get off the plane first and as fast as you possibly can.

Yes, there are surly FAs out there. Just remember that most of them just want to get you on the plane, get you fed and watered, and get you off.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:42 PM
'M'

1,818 posts, read 2,615,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I graduated from college and my first job in the "real world" was one that caused me so much stress that I actually saw a doctor because I thought I was having a heart attack. A friend of mine was a crew scheduler for an airline and he told me to apply for a job. I applied but went into FA training knowing I was only going to stay for a few years until I could figure out what to do with my life!

What's interesting is that I went through 16 weeks of training and only one day was devoted to beverage service. Every single day was preparing for emergencies and dealing with medical issues. The reality is that 99% of the job IS serving beverages but I now take comfort in knowing that the FAs on the plane can perform CPR and have basic medical training. I flew for the dearly departed America West and my starting salary was $12,000 per year. When I worked lots of overtime and took as many 4-day trips that I could, I was excited to bring home a check for $900 (for 2 weeks). There were days when I was so tired I honestly didn't even know if I was at home or in a hotel. That was the end of my "career." I decided to leave before I got surly!

I flew for 2 years and that job was the first I had ever done with the public. I was absolutely shocked to see first hand how rude people are. The hardest thing about being a FA was that you dealt with someone whose girlfriend just broke up with them, they got stuck in traffic on the way to the airport, they couldn't find parking, they had to stand in a really long line to check in, they spilled coffee on their pants in the waiting area, then they get into a sealed tube and you tell them you're out of Dr. Pepper. You are the final straw and all hell is about to break loose.

For the most part, however, it was a great job. We got to meet all kinds of celebrities, I got to fly a few pro sports teams around, we witnessed marriage proposals, saw people coming out of the bathroom after joining the mile-high club, I saw every single city our airline flew to and had a great time in every one (even Wichita and Milwaukee), and got to meet some really nice people. I don't miss it at all, however and am really glad I wasn't flying during 9-11.

We just had an airline run off the runway here in Denver and the plane exploded in fire. Had the FAs not done their job as well as they did, people would have died. The crew were the lifesavers on the plane...they knew not to open the back door (and stopped a frightened passenger from doing so) and when the news crews were allowed access to the plane, they said over and over how miraculous it was that people had not died. The overhead bins were melted. That same person who might not have smiled as big as you would have liked or not handed you your Coke with a smile is the same person who will make sure you get off the plane first and as fast as you possibly can.

Yes, there are surly FAs out there. Just remember that most of them just want to get you on the plane, get you fed and watered, and get you off.
Very well said. FA's No. 1 duty is our safety. Unfortunately, our world has really change in the past 30 years. We are still looking at the menu and not the meal...an FA job is no longer the fun job it used to be.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:59 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Very well said. FA's No. 1 duty is our safety. Unfortunately, our world has really change in the past 30 years. We are still looking at the menu and not the meal...an FA job is no longer the fun job it used to be.
Well, airline travel isn't what it used to be. I was always surprised by how many people would ask me how much a beverage was and were surprised to know it was free (non-alcoholic). Also how many people are afraid to fly and so they get wasted before they get on the plane.

Plus, people are really stupid. I'm sorry to say that, but it's the truth. We landed one time and there was water literally pouring out of the overhead compartments. Turned out, someone had brought 3 coolers full of lobsters from Boston and the ice started melting. We would fly into Cabo and pick someone up with a 6-feet in diameter non-bendable sombrero...where were they planning on putting that?! We had an emergency where our door seal popped, the face masks fell, and the pilot nosedived the plane to 10,000 feet so we could breathe. It seemed like we were crashing. A lady jumped out of her seat and ran into the bathroom. Did she think she would be safe there? We had a guy with a severe bloody nose. He sat in the back with us for 45 minutes with his head tilted up and a constant flow of kleenex and towels heading for the garbage. When we landed, he told us, "by the way, I've got hepatitis B". Nice. Had to get off for a week for that one and the plane had to be hazmatted. Same thing for the lady with Montezumas revenge heading home from Mexico who plop-plopped her way down the aisle towards the bathroom. Who's going to pick up that mess before we land?

Still, though, these stories just make me laugh. Wasn't funny when I was going through it (and trying to control my gag reflex), but it certainly makes me fun at parties!

Old 06-13-2009, 08:27 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
2 stories from a former flight attendant (I have dozens more but will only share the ones that aren't horrifying).

1. Flying from Atlanta to Vegas. 3 guys get on (in coach) and before they even sit down, one asks me for a Budweiser. I told him that he'd have to wait until we took off and began our beverage service. After we take off and the captain rang the bell to let us know it was okay to get up, I began walking down the aisle towards the back and the same guy asks me for a Budweiser. I tell him I'll get him one when we roll the cart down the aisle. As I get to the back, I put on my apron and we get the cart set up and sure enough, the call button goes off. I go to see what it is and yep, the guy for the Bud. I get him the Bud and he gives me $20. I ask him if he's got anything smaller and he says no. I get on the intercom and find him change. When we get back to his seat, he wants another Bud. He hands me a $20 (after I had just brought him back $16). I ask him for a smaller bill and he tells me he doesn't have one (not true). I find him change. By the time we reach the back and put the cart away, he rings the call button again. Again, asks for a Bud (our limit is 3) and hands me another friggin' $20, but this time with a smirk. So, I go to the back, get his Bud, shake the living hell out of it for about 2 minutes, then walk up, give him his change, give him ONE little square napkin, walk away, and smirk when I hear it explode and hear him shout as he's being sprayed with foam.

2. We begin boarding from Orange County to Phoenix. First guy down the ramp (first class passenger) gets on with one of those HUGE foldover carry on bags and is talking on his cell phone. He realizes he doesn't get good reception on the plane so he steps off with his bag , stands on the ramp, and proceeds to talk on the phone while the entire plane is being boarded. After the plane is full, the overhead compartments are closed, he is still on his phone. I tell him, "sir, we are ready to push back" and he holds up his pointer finger at me to tell me to "wait" so he can finish his conversation. Eventually, the gate agent tells him that we are now late and he needs to end the call. He finally does and when he opens the overhead bins, there is no space for his luggage. He turns around, drops his bag at my feet and tells me "find a place for this." I tell him that we have no space but since he is flying in first class, the ramper can bring his luggage to the bottom and then bring it up when we arrive in Phoenix. He interrupts me to say, "No, my luggage stays here with me." I tell him I'm sorry but that's not possible. He starts using a voice and speaking really slowly to me acting as if I'm an imbecile and says, "You. Need. To. Find. A. Place. For. My. Bag." I tell him, "okay, we're late. Either we can put your bag down below or you and your bag can wait for the next flight." By this time, of course, everyone is watching us and he says, "Fine, *****, put it down below." The ramper overhears this conversation and rolls his eyes as he takes the bag below. He comes up later and before I shut the door, whispers to me, "that guys bag? It's on that plane over there" (and points to the neighboring plane...who knows where it went). The bag had no tags so it's doubtful they found it.
Yes, it is hard to deal with the public, but a little courtesy goes a long way. I worked with the public for 28 years and I don't remember ever getting even with the rude, obnoxious, and overbearing patrons. Being a professional means that you get paid for being a cut above. If you don't like the pay or the job, there is a solution for that. Get another job, but while you are working at that job, never lower YOUR standard.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:34 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have to agree with everything she says and more. Air travel is the new Greyhound. People are outrageous in their demands on flight crews and thier lack of common courtesy for fellow passengers.

And I especially agree with stowing your own carryon. What the heck are people carting onboard in those things to make them so heavy? Mine weighs 17 pounds fully packed for a week's travel. And no, I won't help anyone with their bag or kid either. I will hold your cup of coffee while you put your own bag up though. (Not a flight attendent, no way I'd deal with the crap that they deal with on a daily basis.)
That is pretty much it! Cheap fares have attracted a new class of people that in times past would have been on the bus. And they brought their attitudes with them.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:41 PM

11,951 posts, read 21,539,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Yes, it is hard to deal with the public, but a little courtesy goes a long way. I worked with the public for 28 years and I don't remember ever getting even with the rude, obnoxious, and overbearing patrons. Being a professional means that you get paid for being a cut above. If you don't like the pay or the job, there is a solution for that. Get another job, but while you are working at that job, never lower YOUR standard.
You have to understand, people just "get stupid" when they step on a plane.

In my world professionals make more than $15,000/year. You can throw "professional" in front of any job but that doesn't make it a professional career. I agree about not getting even but when you pay low wages you don't attract the highest end talent. SWA has said they're hiring from the same pool restaurants hire from.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,475,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You have to understand, people just "get stupid" when they step on a plane....
No offense but aren't you only going to alienate those passengers who are courteous and well behaved when they fly if you make that assumption straight off the bat?

Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,366,844 times
there is one nearby me..........could ya stop in and give me a lift to Manhattan??

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
My aircraft considerably less than 12,500 lbs.

And I land at out-of-the-way airports.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:25 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,366,844 times
the3Ds, I always enjoy your postings. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or