U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:23 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
The golden rule for flight attendants is simple: You bring it, you sling it!!! And that goes for pax!!!
No argument from me. I've got a 19" rollerboard that fits wheels in into every overhead and my pocketbook. That's it. If it won't fit in one or the other, it stays home with the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 05:41 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,321,482 times
Most flight attendants are incapable of handling an emergency situation. They get recurrent training once/year and most forget what they relearned ten minutes after they leave. I know MANY flight attendants and I would say that 10% of them would be able to handle an emergency situation.
Most do nothing but complain about their job, the passengers, the flight attendants that are senior to them etc...
I have been on a flight where I have had to stand up and defend another passenger from a FA aggressive behavior. A elderly Russian woman sitting in the bulkhead row had a bag that was, obviously, very important to her. The FA walks up to her, grabs the bag and tells her that it has to go to the back where there is room in the overhead. The woman does not speak English and is emphatically trying to tell the guy that she wants the bag to be near her seat. The FA starts shouting, "no hablo, no hablo" and pulling the bag away. I got up and told him that he was out of line, took my small carry on out of the compartment and put hers in its place. Afterward, I hear him in the galley talking to the other FA's about how he is the victim in the situation. It was an disgusting behavior and the guy should have been ashamed.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:57 PM

32,503 posts, read 16,644,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Most flight attendants are incapable of handling an emergency situation. They get recurrent training once/year and most forget what they relearned ten minutes after they leave. I know MANY flight attendants and I would say that 10% of them would be able to handle an emergency situation.
Going with that figure, we'd expect 90% of emergency evacuations to go horribly wrong, right? I am pretty sure that's not the case.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:14 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,119,402 times
I haven't finished reading this entire thread yet so maybe someone else has mentioned this.....or maybe I'm the only one old enough to remember this but, back in the day, Flight Attendents had to be a registered nurse before they could be hired as a Stewardess...as they were then called. In point of fact, many...if not most...of the FAs back then had been Army nurses in WWII.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:24 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,119,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Seriously, I would love it if the flight attendants started cracking down on the ridiculous carry-on luggage people bring on the plane.
You wanna know why it takes 30 minutes to get off the plane? Because a bunch of inconsiderate goombas don't feel like checking their luggage (which by the way, comes nowhere near the little box that demonstrates the proper size).
I check my luggage and carry on nothing but my little purse and a book. But everytime I go to exit a plane I must stand in the aisle for a half hour waiting for all those in front of me to wrestle their overpacked "carry ons" from the overhead....bonking people in the head....falling into unsuspecting laps, stomping on the toes of those around them.... ARGH. I wish there was NO carry ons allowed or, if there must be, then those with carry ons should not be allowed to start taking them down until everyone without them has disembarked from the plane.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I check my luggage and carry on nothing but my little purse and a book. But everytime I go to exit a plane I must stand in the aisle for a half hour waiting for all those in front of me to wrestle their overpacked "carry ons" from the overhead....bonking people in the head....falling into unsuspecting laps, stomping on the toes of those around them.... ARGH. I wish there was NO carry ons allowed or, if there must be, then those with carry ons should not be allowed to start taking them down until everyone without them has disembarked from the plane.
Not all of us have problems managing our carryons. My rollerboard fully packed weighs 17 pounds. I can get it into/out of the overhead in about four seconds--without hitting anyone on the head. I'm always in first class or one of the first two rows in coach in an aisle seat. Do you really think I should have to wait for the entire plane to empty to grab my bag and leave? I can guarantee you I am often out of the airport on my way to where I'm going before the last passengers are off the plane.

I don't wish to check a bag because many of my trips are under 48 hours, and to spend an hour on each end waiting for my small bag is absurd. If the carriers would simply enforce the number and sizes of carry ons, it wouldn't be a problem.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:03 AM

11,951 posts, read 21,545,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I haven't finished reading this entire thread yet so maybe someone else has mentioned this.....or maybe I'm the only one old enough to remember this but, back in the day, Flight Attendents had to be a registered nurse before they could be hired as a Stewardess...as they were then called. In point of fact, many...if not most...of the FAs back then had been Army nurses in WWII.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/9269322-post31.html

Second paragraph

Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,401,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Most peoples IQ is cut in half as soon as they arrive at the airport.
I lost a few points just reading about IQ reduction...

Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 AM

737 posts, read 2,249,863 times
I just don't get why some people are rude to FAs.

I blame TSA 'cause once you go through their mini-gulag where they have all the power and make you feel like a criminal, then the pleasure of the flight and the ability to muster your civility has been greatly hampered. So if these wannabe police, not ALL, were pleasant and not feeling up the people in wheelchairs and "randomly" searching 89 year old women, everyone would be feeling neat-o once they get to the gate.

I have never been treated rudely by the FAs and have gone out of my way, when warranted, to write a real letter, not an email to the carrier to let them know of a pleasant experience. Just had another great experience 2 days ago and she wouldn't give me her last name, so I made it a point to save my boarding pass and write her first name on it so I can send on a nice comment. She knew of my intentions and just politely let me know that she was "just doing her job". Nice.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 AM

FLYCLEAR--the difference in how you are treated is AMAZING! In SFO earlier this year the agent insisted upon putting my rollerboard on the belt for me because "It's our job to lift your luggage, not yours." No lines, no BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or