U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:44 PM

110 posts, read 233,527 times

Advertisements

Spouse and I are planning a trip to Europe this fall, with Barcelona as our starting point. We can go for up to 2 weeks, and I'm curious what the travel forum folks would suggest as other areas to explore. We like sight seeing, people watching, food, cities, towns, beaches, and just generally soaking up the local culture (don't want to just do a checklist of the "must sees"). Don't care too much about partying (we'll go out for drinks but aren't into partying all night long), and although we like art probably won't spend tons of time in museums unless it's something really spectacular.

Some options we've thought of are to head south to places like Granada and Malaga, or head north into the Pyrenees and maybe over to Bilbao, or even go to southern France. Portugal is up for grabs, too, but am thinking that might be worth its own separate trip. Madrid is also a place of interest.

I know travel is very subjective, but I'm just curious what others would consider doing (even if it's something entirely different than any of the options I've mentioned), and how long you'd spend in each area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 04:01 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,909,074 times
When in the fall?
It could be beautiful, or it might be rainy and cool.
If you have up to two weeks, it might be worthwhile to head into Portugal.
There is plenty of people watching and cafe life in Barcelona. Go see the Gaudi cathedral, La Sagrada Familia--you've never seen a church like that.
If you enjoy art at all, The Prado in Madrid could keep you busy all day.
You are very close to the south of France and would probably enjoy Collioure.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:51 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,122,145 times
In Barcelona, I HIGHLY recommend staying at Hotel Casa Camper if it is within your budget. Top notch facility!

Heading into the Pyrenees you can also visit the very small country of Andorra. You'll need a car to get there, or just take the bus from Barcelona or a nearby train station.

The architecture in Barcelona is outstanding; Gaudi's work is incomparable! I was underwhelmed by the waterfront and the Olympic stadium, though the Parc du Monjuic on which the stadium sits offers some great views. For even better views, take the funicular up to Tibidabo!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM

110 posts, read 233,527 times
Thanks for the suggestions so far! We plan to go in Sept, or possibly early Oct, so I think the weather should be great...

Old 06-18-2009, 03:33 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,012,684 times
As Barcelona is so close to France , I would head into it and maybe do the Pyrenees which is really lovely, you could visit Collioure and maybe even head up towards Carcassone and Toulouse which is a few hours inland. There are a lot of lovely villages and towns and you can visit some of the Cathar fortresses and some of the most beautiful Romanesque Abbeys in the world too as well as painted Prehistoric Caves like Niaux.

I visit the Great Tourist Sites in Midi-Pyrénées
The Great Sites in the Midi-Pyrénées

Site officiel du tourisme et des congrès de Pau-Pyrénées
The Foix castle in the Ariège Pyrenees

Carcassonne - Town Hall and Tourist Office Web Site - : The Tourist Office welcomes you
Villefranche de Conflent - Accueil ( pretty close to the Spanish border)
http://www.trainstouristiques-ter.com/index.asp ( "The Little Yellow Train" is a lovely little train which takes you through some really nice Pyrenees scenery)

Old 06-18-2009, 05:16 AM

2 posts, read 8,976 times
I think the proposal so beautiful beautiful Rome Italy

Old 06-19-2009, 04:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
As Barcelona is so close to France , I would head into it and maybe do the Pyrenees which is really lovely, you could visit Collioure and maybe even head up towards Carcassone and Toulouse which is a few hours inland. There are a lot of lovely villages and towns and you can visit some of the Cathar fortresses and some of the most beautiful Romanesque Abbeys in the world too as well as painted Prehistoric Caves like Niaux.
( "The Little Yellow Train" is a lovely little train which takes you through some really nice Pyrenees scenery)
Yes, do the above. (don't miss Carcassone) + fit in a trip thru Andorra between France and Spain.

The other area of Spain that I like is the NW, Basque region. Beautiful and rich history. Stay in Agritourimos, or small inns.

Also Wine festivals along the coast to the south of Barcelona.

DO NOT travel out of the city on weekends and expect to drive back on Sunday evening The traffic is horrendous. There are lots of mtn roads and castle ruins within a few hrs of Barcelona (a dual sport motorcycle is ideal mode of travel). Try to attend a concert in an old stone cathedral or abby. We lived in Sant Cugat (just the far side of Tibidabo (on hill above Barcelona)) and the vespers were 'heavenly'. Sant Cugat del Vallès - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The TV is pretty exciting, especially the national sport of 'Observed or Stadium Trials Riding' SLOW motorcycle doing death defying gymnastics AND the "Bobcat" (Skid steer Loader version) that was on TV on Saturday Mornings instead of Cartoons.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:23 PM

128 posts, read 577,273 times
I've made two trips to Spain in the last 6 years. Both for about 3 weeks each. The first from Lisboa north to Spain concentrating in Galithia and back. My objective was photographing lighthouses. The second to Barcelona going north to France and then across the Pyranees to the atlantic coast and down to where I left off the first time and then cross country back to Barcelona. I found Barcelona extremely crowded and was glad to leave. This was in Sept. and there was plenty of rain. Driving in Barcelona and Lisboa was extremely difficult. The highways were fantastic though.
Good luck.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,463,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofone View Post
Spouse and I are planning a trip to Europe this fall, with Barcelona as our starting point. We can go for up to 2 weeks, and I'm curious what the travel forum folks would suggest as other areas to explore. We like sight seeing, people watching, food, cities, towns, beaches, and just generally soaking up the local culture (don't want to just do a checklist of the "must sees"). Don't care too much about partying (we'll go out for drinks but aren't into partying all night long), and although we like art probably won't spend tons of time in museums unless it's something really spectacular.

Some options we've thought of are to head south to places like Granada and Malaga, or head north into the Pyrenees and maybe over to Bilbao, or even go to southern France. Portugal is up for grabs, too, but am thinking that might be worth its own separate trip. Madrid is also a place of interest.

I know travel is very subjective, but I'm just curious what others would consider doing (even if it's something entirely different than any of the options I've mentioned), and how long you'd spend in each area.
I took a 7 night cruise out of Barcelona. I spent 2 nights pre-cruise in Barcelona. Cruise went to Malta, Rome, Florence, Naples(Amafali Coast), and nice, France. Price is not high, and includes accomadations and meals.

Diane G

Old 06-25-2009, 12:45 AM

11 posts, read 32,560 times
Default Top Ten Places to Visit in Barcelona

Barcelona can be cold in October ---- Remember it is a very large city and can be intimidating. While they speak Spanish - Catalan is the language from Barcelona ----- Las Ramblas is my favorite street and you could spend hours there people watching - and dodging the pickpockets or scammers.

Here is a list that may help you.

Top Ten Places to Visit Barcelona Spain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel