U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,451,669 times

Advertisements

I used my son's timeshare for a week in December at Pigeon Forge and will be spending 10 days in early March at 2 different ones ( Table Rock Lake and Branson MO)

Very satisfied with the one at Pigeon Forge. The company has 43 of them and are still expanding.

When using one as a guest, I attended the 90 minute seminar ( sales pitch) where they explained them . I got a $50 Vista card for attending.

We were well satisfied, but I was not the one who did the paying.

My son can not get away now ( dairy farming) so he has tried to sell it. NOT VERY EASY !

The first place he used to try to sell was a scam. I warned him when it said the buyer was a foreigner willing to pay top dollar with a few --" stipulations"

I honestly don't know what my son paid or how much the maimtenance fees are.
Since I have helped out my son financially I didn't feel guilty about taking him up on his offer of a free vacation.

Would I buy one myself? Probably not as I don't really fit the profile that 20yrsinBranson described.

I also believe many people bought theirs while attending a seminar and regretted it.

The guy giving the seminar said even in these tough economic times-------over 50% of the people attending sign contracts at that seminar.

Last edited by marmac; 01-22-2010 at 11:40 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 11:24 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,451,669 times
My son's timeshare is one where he bought yearly points that can be used at 43 different places. Points can be accumulated ( carried over ) for up to 3 years if not used.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,833,262 times
I have a timeshare in Orlando. Bought it about 10 years ago. Have rented it out a few times (anywhere the person wants to go as long as the place and time work out). I used it in the NC mountains and Las Vegas. I don't think I ever used it outside of those two weeks.

I will give it away to anybody who wants it. Buyer just pays closing costs and whatever will go along with the purchase. I already paid the fees for this year. It's a nice home resort 2 bed/2 bath and you can exchange for anywhere. I have a points system.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 AM

14 posts, read 58,641 times
Tmeshares are great if you know how to buy and take full advantage of ownership.
My buddy bought a week for 12,000. Purchased at the same place same time of year for $2000
The yearly maint. fee is around $800 if i stayed at a hotel which my cost is around $500 per night.
Another benefit is being able to trade into RCI or Interval Resorts. Instead of going to the same place year after year you can choose a different destination for vacation. You still pay your annual main. fee plus a small transfer fee.

Better yet these companies offer extra vacation! I have vactioned in Orlando for a week for under $300!! Do your homework before you buy.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:03 AM

9,444 posts, read 15,405,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrashoes View Post
What is some good advice on timeshare ownership? Would you reccommend timeshare from an established hotel chain like marriott or hyatt? Which time share companies are reputable? How much are you guys paying in yearly maintenance fees and is there a limit to how much they can increase them? Thanks in advance.
Time-shares is like buying air, seriously. You get one week a year, then you have to worry about maitenance fees, then it's not that easy to exchange, it's not as easy as it sounds. You normally exchange with RCI or Interval and it's a pain in the ass.
There is a new program through Berkley group that is called Voyages which is a much much better program. You get 3-6 weeks a year, no maitenance fees and you don't have to bother with exchange.

If you do decide to look into time-shares, check out Vacation Village Resorts. They are really really nice.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:11 AM

9,444 posts, read 15,405,755 times
I do have to say that time-share salesmen are the best salesmen in the world. Seriously. Think about it guys: when you go to those time-share presentations, do you really think about buying? No way! 99% of couples go for the free food and the gift. Nobody comes there with the state of mind that they will be purchasing a time-share. Even when you are in the car store, you are there for a reason, like maybe/possibly you could be interested to buy something, but not at a time-share presenation. Yet somehow, this time-share rep is able to make it sound so delicious, so desirable and so undeniable that you walk out of there a buyer. This is a hard-core sale and there is a lot of pressure for them to sell as they work strictly on commission, it's a high-pressure sales pitch with 3 different people banging into your head to buy. They are selling a dream and let me tell you - people are buying it!!! Therefore, I have a high respect for time-share salesmen, no salesmen can come close to them.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,471 times
Default timeshare

My name is Dean, and I have been reading all of these messages on the board.. I too have lost thousands paying companys to sell my timeshare in florida. I did get another call from a company about selling my timeshare, the sales guy was Steve powers, from C and C Timeshare resale in St. Pete Fl. I did my homework this time and found they were legit! i took the plunge, to my surprise they did indeed advertise it and I got the results I was looking for, I didnt make much of a profit but its GONE! No more fee's!! The resorts are over charging people and timeshares are definentely not a good investment.. Thank God for these people! I just wanted to share that because all i see is horror stories on these message boards, I guess I was one of the lucky ones.
DS.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:41 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,093,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Time-shares is like buying air, seriously. You get one week a year, then you have to worry about maitenance fees, then it's not that easy to exchange, it's not as easy as it sounds.
Haha, that is so true.

Time Shares rarely ever work in the favor of the owner. I rent out people's timeshares who can't unload them or use them via RedWeek.com at a dirt cheap price. The more suckers that keep buying timeshares, the cheaper my vacations get. I have only done this a couple times, but last time I stayed in Aruba for a week at the Marriott Surf Club for about $70/night!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:42 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,355,060 times
I suggest that anyone who is interested in buying or selling a timeshare google timeshare users group and learn as much as possible before buying or selling. I have been timesharing since 2000 and love it. The only time we stay at a hotel is when we there are no resorts in the area.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,328 times
We bought a biyearly timeshare 6 years ago, it gave us two weeks vacation per year with the way we bought it. If you use it the week you own at your home property you pay nothing. If you book on a banked week you pay an exchange rate, around $130 per week you exchange. Even at that price that is $20 per night, a little less, but we always get a nice CLEAN condo with a full kitchen, living room whirlpool and usually quite a bit of activities to take part in on site. We thoroughly enjoy our time and we have saved so much money when we break it down. We payed $9000 for it and we were traveling at least twice a year and spending time in hotels at the cheapest rate maybe $60 per night, plus you have to figure in the amount you pay to eat out and how much you save by cooking in your condo. We would splurge and get the lobsters and steaks and cook them in room and still enjoy ourselves. We would eat out maybe once a day, and usually breakfast or lunch which is cheaper than the dinners. Dinner in the room was better for us after a busy day of doing whatever we planned we could just go back to room put jammies on and cook and relax while we ate, throw everything in the dishwasher and start it up. I like that you do not have to pack as much, some have washer dryer units in the room, if not usually on every floor. All the ones we went to had free usage also. The downside, the maintenance fees did go up to $300 per year, still that is cheaper than hotels, I hate having to stay in a hotel room now after staying in resort condos. I will book a room even if we are not going to stay the whole week, it is usually cheaper than two nights at a hotel with the cost of room and food and amenities for $. I would also never pay someone to sell our unit for us. I have priced them and the one we own has almost tripled in 6 years so we are looking at other locations to see if we sell off what we have and buy a cheaper one with same trading power and we can make money on the deal, just a thought. If we do sell it would not be listed with those rip off companies that take your money just to list your property. I have heard from others about them and they never got theirs rented or sold and were out almost a grand just for someone to post it in an internet ad. BEWARE of people like that. So you got some positives you can weigh them out against all the negatives people posted and see what is right for you, everyone has different needs, what works for one may not work for another. I do know we were paying a minimum of $700 per week for a condo when we traveled before we bought this unit and did that two times per year, sometimes three. 1400 - 2100 per year so for us it paid off. You need to keep track of all you spend and what you would spend if you had a time share, and always get a timeshare that is red so you have the highest trading power to allow you to get places where and when you want them. Happy Travels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel