U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 09:37 PM

193 posts, read 751,897 times

Advertisements

What is some good advice on timeshare ownership? Would you reccommend timeshare from an established hotel chain like marriott or hyatt? Which time share companies are reputable? How much are you guys paying in yearly maintenance fees and is there a limit to how much they can increase them? Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times
Timeshares are a rip off imo....you pay a price for some unit of anywhere from $5K to upwards of $20K depending on where you buy then on top of that you pay a fee each year to keep the property up...makes no sense
Then I hear well I only pay $600 per year for this timeshare in Aruba..hello you already paid $20K for 1 week a year in this unit now you're paying a fee each year

At one time they were popular but I think the novelty has worn off judging from how many I see for sale

So ok there was my negative, I'm sure someone who loves owning a timeshare will give their opinion,and in the end, if you still are going to buy do your homework & educate yourself on timeshares first and don't buy it as an investment they are not as easy to unload as the sales people will tell you

Old 06-16-2009, 10:48 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
I bought into the Disney Vacation Club when it was still inexpensive. We have more than gotten our money out of it, even after taking into account the annual dues. These days I wouldn't buy it, it's gotten too expensive.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,303,845 times
If I find out that any more timeshare salespeople are even going near my elderly mother's house, first we're going to have the quiet warning part where we display the sharp objects and the bad eyes, then we're going to have the mysterious disappearance part. Worst things ever. Absolutely no resale value, sold by numerous scumbags, lots of gotchas. I would have an easier time befriending a meth dealer or TV lawyer than a timeshare salesman, and in my ideal world the three would be jailed together, one of each to a room sized for only one person, in hopes that we'd do away with some of them that way. I honestly, seriously, think you have an easier chance of getting fair value with a TV lawyer or a meth peddler than with a timeshare anyone.

I also don't care for them much.

Anything else you want to know about my experience with timeshares?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 AM

92 posts, read 284,287 times
I agree...rip off.

The only exception would be Disney's Vacation Club if you are some one like my Dad, who goes 3 times a year. He can't get enough of the place and we always tease him saying it would probably be cheaper for him if just outright bought the place...lol. He let us use his points and I have to say that they have very good customer service, both over the phone and while at Disney or whereever.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:00 PM

479 posts, read 1,309,477 times
I would NEVER advise anyone to buy a timeshare! We did...stupidly. Used it about 4 years (that's 4 WHOLE WEEKS), tried to sell it for years...no takers. The maintenance fees increased dramatically every year. Couldn't take our dog...didn't want to leave her in a kennel.

Finally, we managed to deed it back to the corporate owners just to get out of it. I wouldn't buy another one if it sold for 25 cents!!!! And I wouldn't want to die and leave that kind of mess for my children either.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:02 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
We had actually bought a second Disney contract way back when, decided we didn't need it and sold it for a profit! Like I said, that was long ago when points cost about 50% of what they do now.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
I would NEVER advise anyone to buy a timeshare! We did...stupidly. Used it about 4 years (that's 4 WHOLE WEEKS), tried to sell it for years...no takers. The maintenance fees increased dramatically every year. Couldn't take our dog...didn't want to leave her in a kennel.

Finally, we managed to deed it back to the corporate owners just to get out of it. I wouldn't buy another one if it sold for 25 cents!!!! And I wouldn't want to die and leave that kind of mess for my children either.
Did it cost anything to have the company take it back? My parents want to leave their timeshare to the 3 children, but I really don't think any of us are interested. As far as I know, there are no limits on the maintenance fees and we really wouldn't use it. I wondered if we accepted it upon their death, and then couldn't sell it, if it would cost us to give it back.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:37 PM

5,417 posts, read 5,399,546 times
Z: We bought 3 Hyatt Key West timeshares back in the 90's from the Developer. We paid way too much money, and the yearly main. fees sneaked up too just under $900 a year + taxes on each week, due and payable the 31st of Dec. We sold them losing money on each one just after Hurricane Rita. I would strongly rec. that you check out the website TUG, Timeshares Users Group, I wish I had before buying, they are real people that have timeshares that will answer any question you have. I think all your questions could be answered there.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:47 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Z: We bought 3 Hyatt Key West timeshares back in the 90's from the Developer. We paid way too much money, and the yearly main. fees sneaked up too just under $900 a year + taxes on each week, due and payable the 31st of Dec. We sold them losing money on each one just after Hurricane Rita. I would strongly rec. that you check out the website TUG, Timeshares Users Group, I wish I had before buying, they are real people that have timeshares that will answer any question you have. I think all your questions could be answered there.
EXCELLENT source of info. use that site when I'm planning a vacation to see if where I am going anyone is renting out their timeshare, it sometimes works out better then a hotel especially the one page where it has to be within a certain amount of time ( almost last minute) and can't list for more then $700 for the week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel