U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:32 AM

1,238 posts, read 2,962,234 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me-does stick deodorant and stick makeup fall into the "gel" category for carry-ons? Or are they considered a solid and not required to be in the little baggie? I won't be checking any luggage this trip, as we are traveling very light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 01:25 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,618,358 times
Check the permissible list here:

http://www.tsa.gov/

I believe it is regularly updated.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:04 PM

1,238 posts, read 2,962,234 times
From the TSA website-"You are permitted to bring solid cosmetics and personal hygiene items as such lipstick, lip balm and similar solids."

That's all it says. Does this mean you DON'T have to put these items in the baggie? If they scan my bag and see a metal tube of solid makeup, will this cause my bag to be searched and slow things down?

Old 04-14-2007, 05:45 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,618,358 times
I would suggest you bring baggies with you and be prepared. Each airport I've arrived or departed from has been different--even though we have TSA guidelines.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:53 PM

5,813 posts, read 7,290,696 times
Cool Who Knows ?

Nobody really knows whats going on with TSA, they don't even know . It seems that every time you turn around they change the rules, "again and again and again". But now, you can understand what they are saying to you, they spek good engrish now, joe. I heard that they removed a little old lady from a plane in Cleveland. It seems that she had a pair knitting needles on her. They were afraid she'd try to knit an Afghan-"istanian" while in flight . HAR! HAR! HAR!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:26 PM

326 posts, read 44,496 times
as far as I know, all liquids and gels including colognes, perfumes, toothpaste, deodorants, shampoos, etc are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:36 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,520,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
as far as I know, all liquids and gels including colognes, perfumes, toothpaste, deodorants, shampoos, etc are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.
No, this info is wrong, liquids ARE allowed in no larger than a 3 oz size. This for everything including cosmetics, medicines, etc. You can take a solid stick of deodorant. Have all meds in baggies along w/ other stuff that is liquid in nature. And yes at each airport they want it different. I had all meds in their box w/ the prescription label and everything was fine on 3 flights and on the 4th they wanted it OUT of the box.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:05 AM

13,328 posts, read 30,013,104 times
I was just looking through the TSA site. Wow.
Well, at least they allow nail clippers now.
I had completely forgotten that mascara is actually a liquid.
I am not exactly a high maintenance woman, but it is really dawning on me just how ridiculous this whole scenario is...I am strictly a carryon backpack person, have been for many years, but then, the last time I had to fly was late July, last summer.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:07 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,520,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I was just looking through the TSA site. Wow.
Well, at least they allow nail clippers now.
I had completely forgotten that mascara is actually a liquid.
I am not exactly a high maintenance woman, but it is really dawning on me just how ridiculous this whole scenario is...I am strictly a carryon backpack person, have been for many years, but then, the last time I had to fly was late July, last summer.
What is really kind of funny and recenlty Saturday Night Live did a skit on this and it was soooooo true. They only allow liquids in amounts of 3oz as they said some things can be mixed to become toxic or make makeshift bombs. Like 5 oz of this and 5 oz of that mixed can be bad. So what says that 3 oz is good and 4 oz is bad? What keeps 3 passangers from sitting beside each other each getting their designated 3 oz liquid out and mixing it up to become 9 oz? LOL!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:33 AM

13,328 posts, read 30,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Like 5 oz of this and 5 oz of that mixed can be bad. So what says that 3 oz is good and 4 oz is bad? What keeps 3 passangers from sitting beside each other each getting their designated 3 oz liquid out and mixing it up to become 9 oz? LOL!!!
Yes.
You get the feeling that this whole TSA thing is silly, not-very-well-thought-out window dressing to make us feel "safer."
All it really does is infuriate me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel