U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2009, 04:32 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,677,395 times
Question Car rental drop-off fees: Reno to John Wayne/OC

Does anyone know how much (ballpark) this would be?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 04:42 PM

563 posts, read 1,720,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Go on the rental websites that have service at these airports and plug in the info and see. From what I have seen in my experience(s), here on the east coast, Avis and I think budget are the only ones that do not charge a drop off fee. I definitely know Avis does not. Enterprise does not allow one way rentals. Thrifty had a drop off fee in the neighborhood of 400 bucks one time I was checking and that was on top of the actual rental cost. Not sure on Alamo or National or Hertz. Other than my honeymoon, I have never rented from Hertz because they are usually not competitive in their prices.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:34 PM

9,281 posts, read 11,130,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
you are either going to pay a drop-off fee OR you will pay a much higher daily rental charge OR you will pay by the mile. There is no way around it that one way rentals with a few exceptions, are much more expensive.

I would suggest calling all of the majors and seeing who is offering the best price.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:56 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,677,395 times
Thanks. I guess I'll just skip the Reno part and just rent from OC this time. I really like the area around Reno/Tahoe, though. Maybe next time.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 PM

19,744 posts, read 16,397,115 times
Reno to John Wayne Airport in Oklahoma City? Im a member of Hertz and heard they do that (pick up-drop off in 2 different cities) but am not sure if they charge extra for that.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:54 AM

10,801 posts, read 4,874,670 times
Phone. Never mind the websites for this particular situation. We needed to get from San Diego to LAX last week and there were either huge drop-off fees, or just high rental fees, when we looked online. We decided to call and the first one we picked - Hertz, gave us a full-sized car for $69, no drop-off fees. Online it was $107. The cheapest alternative we could find - Budget - was $177 online. Oh, and we also found it was cheaper to rent from a non-airport depot. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:35 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,002,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
you are either going to pay a drop-off fee OR you will pay a much higher daily rental charge OR you will pay by the mile. There is no way around it that one way rentals with a few exceptions, are much more expensive.
Not at all. We have done several OW rentals and ALWAYS get unlimited miles, no drop off fee and the daily/weekly rate is comparable to a normal rental when dropping off at the p/u location.

Best to call around and also go to their websites (sometimes they do have specials available only online) and the travel sites like: hotels.com, travelocity, expedia, etc. You might be surprised that it is not that bad at all. The last OW rental we did we picked it up at the airport in Myrtle Beach and two weeks later returned it to the airport in Jacksonville, FL. This after spending two weeks driving in/around Myrtle Beach then down to visit Charleston, Hilton Head, Savannah, St. Augustine, Fl and Daytona Beach and then back up to Jacksonville. We used Hertz on that one and it was pretty reasonable and NO DROP OFF FEE and UNLIMITED MILES.

I agree with the OP, the area around Tahoe is AWESOME!!!!! It is worth renting a car to be able to go all over that area.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:17 AM

9,281 posts, read 11,130,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Not at all. We have done several OW rentals and ALWAYS get unlimited miles, no drop off fee and the daily/weekly rate is comparable to a normal rental when dropping off at the p/u location.

Best to call around and also go to their websites (sometimes they do have specials available only online) and the travel sites like: hotels.com, travelocity, expedia, etc. You might be surprised that it is not that bad at all. The last OW rental we did we picked it up at the airport in Myrtle Beach and two weeks later returned it to the airport in Jacksonville, FL. This after spending two weeks driving in/around Myrtle Beach then down to visit Charleston, Hilton Head, Savannah, St. Augustine, Fl and Daytona Beach and then back up to Jacksonville. We used Hertz on that one and it was pretty reasonable and NO DROP OFF FEE and UNLIMITED MILES.

And I booked a $3/day OW car rental from Alamo at RSW Fort Myers, FL to BNA Nashville in April. That is a peculiar situation for vehicles in and out of Florida during the season. And a occasionally, you can get a deal between Las Vegas, Phoenix and LAX Los Angeles.

For the 95% of the situations, you pay extra whether it be a drop-off, per mileage charges, or a higher daily fee.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:34 AM

42,656 posts, read 19,520,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Reno to John Wayne Airport in Oklahoma City? Im a member of Hertz and heard they do that (pick up-drop off in 2 different cities) but am not sure if they charge extra for that.
Livewire, John Wayne Airport is in Orange County, not Oklahoma City.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:06 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,002,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And I booked a $3/day OW car rental from Alamo at RSW Fort Myers, FL to BNA Nashville in April. That is a peculiar situation for vehicles in and out of Florida during the season. And a occasionally, you can get a deal between Las Vegas, Phoenix and LAX Los Angeles.

For the 95% of the situations, you pay extra whether it be a drop-off, per mileage charges, or a higher daily fee.
Not really. There are plenty of car rental companies that do OW rentals w/o fees and higher daily rates.

Just looked on Budget and they can do the rental the OP is wanting w/ NO DROP OFF FEE for a different location, unlimited miles and for a full size sedan for a 8 day rental w/ all taxes is $593.51. The airport fees are what can kill a deal nowadays. The airport fees for this rental is right at $50. I also priced it for the OP to return it to Reno where he picked it up. The price is HIGHER! It ran $698.16 for the exact same car.

I've rented plenty of cars for OW travel and never had a higher daily fee (I usually have it for at least a week so that helps get a better deal), no drop off fee and I never rent a car that does not have unlimited miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel