U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 05:55 AM

55 posts, read 218,741 times

Advertisements

HI We are going to be visting in a couple weeks and I have been checking hotel rates on Hotwire and they seem unbeatable. I am scared since you dont see the name of the hotel until after you pay..Has anyone used it before , Good or bad experiences??? Let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 06:22 AM

117 posts, read 258,441 times
I have no experience with hotwire but the following excerpt is from Clark Howard's website - www.clarkhoward.com (a national radio host dealing with consumer affairs, saving money, and avoiding scams).

Dec 28, 2006 -- Now is the time to find hotel deals!
Did you know that from mid-December through the first week in January, you will get the best hotel deals of the year? Aside from resort locations, hotels are empty because there are no conferences or business gatherings during that time. So, rates are ultra low. So, if there was ever a time to learn how to use Priceline and Hotwire it’s now! Clark has several rules of the road with these sites. First of all, stick to a 4-star hotel and never pay more than half of the lowest priced room. For example, Clark is going skiing over the holidays and the cheapest room he could find in Salt Lake City was $159. So, he’s been bidding for days and hasn’t gone beyond $79. He tries to see what other people are bidding by going to biddingfortravel.com, which gives you information about the rates people are getting. The second best site is betterbidding.com. Next, he goes to hotwire.com, which gives exact prices on hotels. Everything you book on Hotwire is non-refundable, but it’s so easy. Hotwire had a four-star hotel listed for $59. So he knew prices had gone down. So he bid $55 on Priceline and got it! Yes, it’s work. It’s a lot of work. But it’s worth it if you want to save. People doubt that Clark really gets these deals and they ask him about it all the time. Believe us - they are the real deal!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:37 AM

3 posts, read 20,938 times
fwiw...

don't just rely on the internet for the best rates.

pick up the phone and call directly.

last week i scoured the internet for 3 days for the best price
at homewood suites crabtree (were coming for a visit next week)

the cheapest online was 154 per night....non refundable.

calling direct and requesting aaa rate i landed the same rooms for $98 per night.

of course...ymmv.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:08 AM

Default thanks

Thanks Jefflaw I am going to try those methods in your post..Appreciate the help. Cant wait to get to Raleigh

Old 04-16-2007, 07:20 AM

156 posts, read 849,198 times
I used Hotwire with some really good results.. I looked for restaurant and spa services and figured how bad could it be.. The rate was really cheap..Hotel was a Wyndam in NY. Very nice and at 79.00 VS 150.00!!!

Another time, I used them in Miami and they said " Pool", when I called the hotel after finding the name-out, it was more of a hot tub... Hotwire refunded my money after a fight, and even gave me a credit...

Now I only use them as a last resort.. Good Luck.. I know the hotels in Raleigh are really expensive.. Tell us what you find out there!!!

Old 04-16-2007, 07:32 AM

250 posts, read 1,152,397 times
I have used hotwire to very good success. I typically use them when I am traveling and don't need a very specific location or type of hotel. In fact we used them for our multiple scouting trips when we were first deciding whether to move down here. I typically look for at least 3 stars unless the 2 1/2 stars has a complimentary breakfast

The only downside I've found is that they can't guarantee a non-smoking room. This is typically only a problem if you may be checking in late in the evening. I've only had this happen to me once and it was when I checked in after 9 p.m. I hope this helps!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,605,991 times
I have used them several times and yet to be disappointed. I was like you very hesitant first time I tried it. I kinda found a way to beat the system, sort of.
They often will provide a area map of the location you desire and mention certain amenities provided that maybe another chain doesnt offer so I go to google and search for hotels in that area to see which ones it probably it is that also have those specific amenities . For instance hotwire tells me 3 star with buisness center and fitness center I will look for those hotels

Old 04-16-2007, 12:11 PM

250 posts, read 1,152,397 times
Another way to "game the system" is to see what deals pop up when you do a hotwire search for a package (rental car, flight and hotel). These reveal the names of the hotels that "are in play". You can also tell which hotels are associated with which ratings (e.g., 2 1/2 stars, etc) this way.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Thanks to everyone

I really love this forum so many people willing to help and share. I am going to take all of your suggestions and keep my fingers crossed I figure as long as I go with a 3 star it has to be at least decent....Thanks

Old 04-16-2007, 06:26 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,036,119 times
Yup I used it for my trip to Chapel Hill tomorrow - Got around $50 off the daily rate for the Sheraton (I should have gone cheaper, I'm broke) and $20 off the rental car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel