Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:06 AM

128 posts, read 628,155 times

Advertisements

Hopefully this opens a "can of worms". My sister wants me and my SO to join her (65yrs) on a tour to Costa Rica for 10 days in January. It is all inclusive and everyone travels on buses to the same places for the same length of time.
I am a year older but feel that I don't need to be assisted as completely as her. I wouldn't mind the 10 days but would prefer choosing how long I stay in each area. Are rentals cars adequate in CR? Is lodging reasonable? Are there banditos? I am a photographer and would like to enjoy birds and other wildlife along with rivers, waterfalls, etc. Any advise would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 02:32 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
First off I must say that I have not been to Costa Rica but I researched it extensively when I was thinking of a destination to go to last month and I also had about 10 days. Based on what researched, 10 days is not enough time to see all the important sights of Costa Rica properly. You need full 2 wks minimum otherwise it may be rushed.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:47 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,259,925 times
I'm betting that your tour is with Caravan, a company we have excellent experience with (my wife has done it twice, once for me) and we plan on using it again on our next trip in Feb. with my daughters. We rent a cottage in CR for 1-2 months every winter and use Caravan for its excellent service and all inclusive package to enjoy CR at very reasonable rates. DM me for any details.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
We went to costa rica a few years ago and used rental cars. The roads there are terrible. Plan on a minimum of four hours to get anywhere. It was beautiful county, just slow going. My husband (was 29 at the time) got very tired or driving along the roads as it was very vigilant driving (narrow, curvy roads with potholes and wild animals). My in-laws were with us (early 60s). They went two weeks before we did and did tour groups for that period. They loved it! The week we us in rental cars (we had two) was enough to convince them they did not want to retire to costa rica.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:52 PM

33 posts, read 78,870 times
Costa Rica is AWESOME! Everyone should make a quick trip there sometime!

Go see the Volcano, the Cloud Forests, the Action Sports, the Lazy Black Sand Beaches,,,, you name it, Costa Rica has it!!! Highly Recommend travel there!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 06:37 AM

128 posts, read 628,155 times
Thanks everyone. Pilgrim, I sent you a DM and haven't heard back. I just wanted some details of the cottage you rented.
Thanks, BSvirginian

Old 07-14-2009, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,616 times
If you want to stay close to the airport with a valley view go to La Catalina Hotel & Suites in Santa Barbara Heredia just 20 min from the international airport in SJO

Old 07-14-2009, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,616 times
you can see this amazing hotel at San Jose Airport Hotel - Lacatalina Hotel And Suites - Costa rica

Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
One of the most unforgettable adventures, for me, in Central America is the rides in the chicken buses and in the backs of pick-up trucks. I look forward to that more than anything else down there, the vendors hopping on board at different stops, trying to sell you anything from A to Z.

I absolutely detest tours. Only have been on 2 in my life and that was enough for me. I'm a traveler, not a tourist, big difference.

Haven't been to Costa Rica, no plans to go there. Too many tourists, too many Americans.

I prefer the places where I can be a great big snob: I'm the only traveler to this city.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:24 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
I envisioned to travel to CR, but too many people are saying that it's overrated, expensive and insecure, so I'm wondering if Ecuador is not a more authentic destination. I'm an independent traveller (no package holidays, I 'd rather rent a place or go to small local hotels), can someone give me an advice about that country, and what are the main sights (I know of the Galapagos islands, how to get there) and the pitfalls to avoid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel