U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:32 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,423,569 times

Advertisements

Paradise on earth?

You need to get out more. LOL

Cuba has some areas of physical beauty and is home to some wonderful people, but paradise on earth might be gilding the lilly a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 08:43 PM

2,372 posts, read 7,761,282 times
I have been told that US visitors that travel on their own to Cuba (without US state department special visitors clearance) can politely ask the Cuban immigration officer upon arrival not to put the entrance stamp onto the passport page. They will either not stamp the passport, or will staple a blank piece of paper to a page of the passport, and stamp the blank piece of paper. Then when you leave Cuba you can remove the blank piece of paper with the Cuba immigration entrance stamp.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 PM

54 posts, read 176,972 times
Cuba interests me a lot. I can picture it someday being a great world-class destination. You can go to Cuba mostly VIA Canada but.. you know you'll get in trouble. I SECOND HOW RIDICULOUS IT IS!! ITS RIGHT THERE!!!!! I know people from there and have seen many MANY pictures. The beaches look beautiful and hear so many things. However, there's poverty and a lot of the architecture [while beautiful and historic] was very run-down. Still... after reading a recent travel magazine's article mentioning Cuba [sorry the name escaped me] I can only dream of the days when the embargo is lifted, the buildings are re-polished, the young hip clubs are open and the beaches are ready for sunbathing. I just hope IF we eventually are allowed to Cuba WE DON"T RUIN IT.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:00 PM

366 posts, read 1,582,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I want to go and I think it is absolutely ridiculous that Americans are not allowed to go unless there are special circumstances (and they have been narrowing these circumstances with each passing year) considering the fact that we are allowed to go to China and many other countries with questionable human rights records and who have troubled histories with the U.S.

I've heard the same as you Speedy, that the island is almost in a time warp, with the old cars and buildings and older fashions as well.
I don't need to answer now, my thoughts exactly. Only I want to go BAD.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:36 PM

12,284 posts, read 18,401,528 times
You can go anywhere in the carribean and get what Cuba offers - nice beaches, warm weather, poverty galore. Most Americans go there for the "forbidden" aspect and the fact that it is cheap. Of course Cuba has tourist areas well isolated from the true picture of the result of 40 years of communism.

Cuba now has the reputation for a certain niche tourism market of, how should I put this, an adult nature. It is frequently advertised as such in European travel circles. If your bag is underage prostitutes you can buy for $5, go for it (I'm being cynical here of course, the idea sickens me), otherwise you can get in Cuba (sand, beaches, some exotic aspects) what you can get in Jamaica, in Haiti, in Puerto Rico, etc.

Watch those cigars, they come with a hefty fine if caught in customs.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:48 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times
Would love to Been on my list for awhile.
Cripes we can go to Viet Nam now but not Cuba...stupid imo

Old 06-22-2007, 10:56 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've always thought that it'd be quite interesting to visit there. A co-worker of mine went there last year and he said it was an amazing place. He said the atmosphere was like you went back to the 1950's. Tons of preserved American cars of the 50's plus he said some of the architecture in Havana was absolutely beautiful.

I plan on visiting there someday. He visited the Cohiba cigar factory there and picked me up a couples boxes . Anyone else been or hoping to visit Cuba?
Both my mother & brother have been to Cuba, and RAVED about it... so yes, I would love to go one day. My mother even had the opportunity to hear Castro speak (about 3 years ago), and actually said he was boring/long-winded and seemed a bit senile - LOL. But politics & economics aside, everyone I know who's been there says it's an amazing country.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:20 PM

431 posts, read 1,977,619 times
I know someone who lives in NY (my old landlord) that went a few years ago to go for medical treatment for a skin pigment disorder (no kidding, check out the movie Sicko). He was there for a week. He had a blast, he said. He spent the nights dancing away and having fun. He is also a native of Trinidad so i assume he flew down to Trinidad first and then took a short flight up to Cuba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel