Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:53 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,008,006 times

Advertisements

Looking to travel the last week in April. It'll be a party of 4 with 2 boys ages 4 and 5.5. We will fly out of Boston.

The boys love hiking, children's museums, food trucks , beaches...really they just like to be active and hands on.

Hubby and I enjoy hiking, wineries, scenery. Husband needs to go, go, go. Spending a week just relaxing is not for him.

We have at least 7 days, maybe up to 9. But with the boys we will likely stick to 6-7 days. That's the point they are ready to go home.

We've been to San Diego, Orlando, and the Jersey shore with them. We've also visited Acadia...and most of New England in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
Charleston, Savannah or Tampa are nice that time of year for beach-focused trips. Asheville or Charlottesville are nice for hiking, scenery etc... and the Charlottesville area has some good wineries, too.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:21 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Go to the Whites

OK, really, DC. Get all the nice museums out of the way, then you've got two options:
- there are a boat load of civil war battle grounds within an hour drive from National or Dulles.
- Skyline Drive and Shenandoah NP. Lots of hikes and scenery, but most hikes are much easier than anything in the White Mountains.

Also, Baltimore has an amazing aquarium, less than 40 miles from DC (can take a lot longer than 40 minutes to get there!)

Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 AM

167 posts, read 470,028 times
Try Traverse City, Michigan.

Things To Do | Activities Northern Michigan - Traverse City

Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Raleigh/Durham. No, I'm not kidding.

Lots of hiking. Durham is the food truck capital right now. Raleigh has the biggest state farmers market on the east coast. Marbles Museum. NC Museum of Natural Sciences. Durham Bulls baseball game. Plenty of areas to kayak, or rent a sailfin at Crabtree Lake right in the RTP. The beach is two hours away (in fact, I'd suggest taking a couple of those days and staying in Wilmington, great aquarium and other cool stuff).

Incredibly convenient and easy airport.

Also, you'll find this area is going to be less expensive than some other cities like Savannah, Wash DC and Savannah. I'm not a parent, but I'd say save DC for when the kids are a little older.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
I live in Durham and it's a great place to live or even visit on a short trip. Jkgourmet is absolutely right about all that the area offers and didn't even touch on hiking in Eno & Umstead State Parks, paddling the Neuse, Eno or Haw, etc... That said, I would not personally recommend the area for an extended vacation unless you have another reason (family, business, etc...) to be here. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Raleigh/Durham. No, I'm not kidding.

Lots of hiking. Durham is the food truck capital right now. Raleigh has the biggest state farmers market on the east coast. Marbles Museum. NC Museum of Natural Sciences. Durham Bulls baseball game. Plenty of areas to kayak, or rent a sailfin at Crabtree Lake right in the RTP. The beach is two hours away (in fact, I'd suggest taking a couple of those days and staying in Wilmington, great aquarium and other cool stuff).

Incredibly convenient and easy airport.

Also, you'll find this area is going to be less expensive than some other cities like Savannah, Wash DC and Savannah. I'm not a parent, but I'd say save DC for when the kids are a little older.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
Are you looking to stay in the US or is International an option?

If US, Albuquerque/Santa Fe.

If International, Costa Rica.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:03 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
I like Traverse City, but even late April can be a bit iffy weather-wise in northern lower Michigan.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Are you looking to stay in the US or is International an option?

If US, Albuquerque/Santa Fe.

If International, Costa Rica.
ALB/Santa Fe for little kids???? Why?

Old 11-08-2013, 11:55 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,008,006 times
International is an option.

Michigan - will it be cold and muddy? Here in New England, April can be gross or beautiful.

Durham - never even crossed my mind. I'll look into it.

SC - we have family there so that's always an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel