U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a woman do you or would you travel solo?
Yes, I have and I had relatively good experiences. 53 79.10%
Yes, I have but I had relatively bad experiences. 1 1.49%
Yes, and I have had relatively equally good and bad experiences. 4 5.97%
No, I haven't but I would like to one day. 3 4.48%
No, I would not travel alone. 6 8.96%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:24 PM

144 posts, read 504,325 times

Advertisements

I want to know how many ladies travel solo. I like traveling and so far I have had 1 solo vacation, even though I travel for school and business frequently by myself. What were your experiences traveling solo? What problems if any did you encounter? I love this blog Black Planeteer but reading about how the Egyptian men aggressively made come ons to her even though she was completely covered (as is local custom for women) seems intimidating and just not completely safe as she travels solo to foreign countries. So I want to hear what other ladies think about women traveling solo.

Last edited by mekia02; 07-16-2009 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:42 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,658,676 times
Haven't done it outside of USA but I camp all the time alone - ok have my dog. Went to Hawaii last year without dog and it was great made tons of friends and going back. Just about to drive up the Alcan in a couple of weeks to Alaska.... just use your instinct and radars... don't get drunk ....Using gut instinct and common sense is what I depend on. The older I get the more I appreciate not having a man along to change any plan or splurge I want to do.

Did have two girlfriends go to Moraco Spain and they had a really bad experience in Morraco..

Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,845,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post
I want to know how many ladies travel solo. I like traveling and so far I have had 1 solo vacation, even though I travel for school and business frequently by myself. What were your experiences traveling solo? What problems if any did you encounter? I love this blog Black Planeteer but reading about how the Egyptian men aggressively made come ons to her even though she was completely covered (as is local custom for women) seems intimidating and just not completely safe as she travels solo to foreign countries. So I want to hear what other ladies think about women traveling solo.
I traveled solo a couple times earlier in life. I don't think my husband would let me travel solo on his dime, but it sounds adventurous! Good luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Haven't done it outside of USA but I camp all the time alone - ok have my dog. Went to Hawaii last year without dog and it was great made tons of friends and going back. Just about to drive up the Alcan in a couple of weeks to Alaska.... just use your instinct and radars... don't get drunk ....Using gut instinct and common sense is what I depend on. The older I get the more I appreciate not having a man along to change any plan or splurge I want to do.

Did have two girlfriends go to Moraco Spain and they had a really bad experience in Morraco..
What happened to the girlfriends in Spain?

Old 07-17-2009, 07:47 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,922,343 times
Yes, have done it as a twenty-year-old and as a fifty-something.
Traveling alone in Europe is not exactly roughing it in a developing country, but it did feel empowering and it was fun to do what I wanted to do *when* I wanted to do it.
I agree with Nwcountrygal about common sense, taking care with drinking etc.
I had several *interesting* experiences in Italy and Spain but never felt as if I was in danger.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:33 AM

845 posts, read 2,481,393 times
I will be travelling solo for my first time this summer. I am taking a roadtrip to 9 national parks. It would be nice to go with friends but I am looking forward to just doing what I want when I want. I dont have to worry about other people getting up late and taking to long to get ready, or having to have the whole group agree on what to see or where to eat. I will be going hiking, sightseeing, and kayaking and hopefully meeting interesting people along the way.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:33 AM

144 posts, read 504,325 times
My 1st solo (fun/relaxing trip) was for hiking in a few NC Florida state parks. I rented a cabin in one state park then I would make day trips to nearby state parks for hiking and photography. I really loved that. I am planning a small road trip from Alabama to NC (business/school related stop) then on to Philly for photographic opportunites that I missed when I lived there. I think I am going to stick to the east coast and stop along the way when I see something interesting. I love not having to take anyone else into consideration, especially when I am photographing, if I want to get up before at sunrise and walk the city until dark then that is what I am going to do!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:01 PM

38 posts, read 83,147 times
I've had some good solo trips and some not so good.

There are some cultures that do not readily accept women travelling on their own. I went to Tunisia for 10 days solo and literally every native I spoke to asked "Where is your husband?". They would not accept that I was a female travelling by myself. It was "not normal".

What was normal was that the women there all went into the sea still fully clothed as they are not allowed to show their bodies

Travelling solo can be a great experience but research where you're going first!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:36 PM

1,628 posts, read 5,895,142 times
heck yeh! I backpacked around the world for 6 months on my own after college. It was great. You meet people everywhere you go (both from the country and others from around the world also traveling). There were some places (E. Malaysia being one) where I was asked a lot if I was married and clearly not being married wasn't so great. So I just talked to some of the guys at the hostel where I was staying, and I traveled around E. Malaysia with them for a while, saying one of them was my husband. You have to be adaptable, and go w/the flow, and respectful of other cultures, but I loved it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Be sure to research what clothing is acceptable. I cringed when I'd see women in "short shorts" in countries where women were expected to be "covered." Try not to judge and be respectful of their culture. Just go with it and enjoy!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:38 PM

2,417 posts, read 4,108,542 times
I've never had a problem. Five visits to the US and one to Poland and I've never felt threatened at all. I try not to look like a tourist too much (camera excepted) and to appear to have an air of confidence at all times.
There's some places I wouldn't travel in on my own - Africa, Asia, Russia, Romania - but that's my personal choice and I'm sure others have gone on their own and had no problems.

I'm 55.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:45 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,970,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I've never had a problem. I try not to look like a tourist too much (camera excepted) and to appear to have an air of confidence at all times.
Same here (as for the camera, I only took it out of my bag when necessary).
I have traveled on my own quite a few times when I was single, and I never felt scared or anything.
But I have to say I was not in countries considered as dangerous or in remote places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or