U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:32 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,304,955 times

Advertisements

I'm mostly interested in what you have experienced but will take 2d-hand opinions .......I and girlfriend (40s) looking for a place to go, prefer as family UNfriendly as possible frankly, ie as few kids as possible. Last thing we want on a vacation are crying/screaming kids.

- Cancun I've never been to and considering, but that might be a little bit younger crowd and more party/drunk-fest than we're up for.

- I have been to Ixtapa already so that's out.

- Bahamas are out.

Other than that, pretty open. Where have you been, how much did/didn't you like it and why? Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:12 PM

228 posts, read 884,979 times
If you want something a little quieter and more adult friendly, try Playa De Carmen....some good deals out there right now, and you can get an adults only resort all inclusive... Depending on how many days you want to stay, you could go over to Cozumel ...which I personally like better than Cancun. Dot

"Riviera Maya Five Star Beach Resort
Playa del Carmen - Mexico
$299 All-Inclusive Riviera Maya Getaway"

Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,040,097 times
I second the Playa del Carmen idea. Actually anywhere along the Mayan Riviera south of Cancun. The further south you go, the less "commercialized" it gets. Most resorts will post their kid-policy. Some are VERY adult(sexy games,etc) others only take 16 and up.
There is a lot to do in this area if you like exploring. A day trip across to Cozumel is great, just catch the ferry at Playa. I highly recommend Xel-Ha water park-but don't do the 1/2 day Tulum-Xel-Ha package. You will want all day at Xel-Ha. Mayan ruins, shopping, small clubs, restaurants, snorkeling, scuba, fishing, it's all good.
Puerto Aventuras south of Playa is a nice area, with some good restaurants and small bars and a marina, as well as dolphin swims and other animals.
Depending on your budget, the El Dorado Seaside Suites is a nice adults-only resort. We stayed there BEFORE the big remodel and loved it. This is one of my favorite areas to travel to.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 PM

228 posts, read 884,979 times
I agree with the full day for Xel-Ha and also Xcaret if a full day of lots of different activities and a nice man made beach to lounge by. If you do the ruins, just be aware that it is very hot full sun, not many trees at all..but a nice little beach area when your done. If you do those two parks, make sure you take ECO friendly sun screen so as not to harm the fish/turtles/coral, etc. I buy the No-Ad that walmart sells...Xcaret has a very good buffet style hut with awesome food! Dot

Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 PM

621 posts, read 2,927,001 times
I just got back from Grand Cayman and had a great time. The weather was beautiful and lots of things to do. I like the touristy area and that's where I stayed, but if you want something more low key you can stay on the other end of the island which is much more quiet, but close enough to the tourist area that you can drive there if you want. There's usually not too many kids, since there's not many kid friendly activities on that side. Although, when we were out and about in the main area I didn't see a lot of kids. Good luck with your choice!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,124,976 times
Another vote for the Mayan Riveria. My wife and I stayed in Tulum a few years ago and the whole experience was far beyond our expectations. PDC is nice, but highly commercialized, while Tulum offers a much slower pace, especially out at the Beach Zone where you'll want to stay.

I also really enjoyed a trip to the BVI. You could charter a sailboat (w/ crew if you can't sail) and island hop from one beautiful anchorage to the next. We did that and had a blast, then capped off the trip with a few landlubber days on Virgin Gorda where there weren't too many kids. Of course, having a private villa helped, but that's not hard to find there.

My worst trips to the tropics would be to The Bahamas and Puerto Rico. I would not recommend either of them.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:21 PM

42,837 posts, read 79,065,992 times
Wow, a consensus on a message board! I also love Riviera Maya. Besides, OP, it IS on the Caribbean Sea and the water is just as beautiful as it is by the Caribbean islands.

There are adults-only resorts. They tend to be fancier and more expensive. It looks to me that most such resorts in Riviera Maya just target couple's comfort and nothing uncomfortable for many is going on. Perhaps it's different in Cancun.

One thing you should be very careful with if you choose Cancun, though, is which part of island the hotel is in. Cancun's hotel zone is shaped like 7. The short part faces Isla Mujeres and the water is calm. The longer part is exposed to the ocean and the waves are rough. As this is important to me, I'd never stay on that side.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:01 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,889,480 times
SoResults Found

Page: 1 2 3

Resort Name Destination All Incl. Rating
All Inclusive (Meals & Beverages Included) EP (Meals and Beverages Not Included) Both All Inclusive & EP Room Types Available

Galley Bay Resort & Spa Antigua
Bucuti Beach Resort and Tara Beach Suites Aruba
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort and Offshore Island Bahamas - Nassau
Breezes Bahamas Bahamas - Nassau
Almond Beach Club & Spa Barbados
Le Blanc Spa Resort Cancun
Sun Palace -- Couples Only Cancun
Sandals Inn Jamaica
Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica
Sandals Negril Beach Resort and Spa Jamaica
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island Jamaica
Couples Negril Jamaica
Couples Swept Away Jamaica
Couples Tower Isle Jamaica
Grand Lido Braco Jamaica
Grand Lido Negril Jamaica
Hedonism III - Adults Only Jamaica
Hedonism II - Adults Only Jamaica
Club Ambiance, Runaway Bay Jamaica
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya They also have one in Cabo San Lucas now as well
Aventura Spa Palace Resort Riviera Maya
Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa St Lucia St. Lucia
BodyHoliday at LeSport St. Lucia
Rendezvous St. Lucia St. Lucia
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort Tobago

http://www.cheapcaribbean.com/core/resortFinder/cc.xml (broken link)

some Adults only resorts...

Old 07-24-2009, 02:19 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,911,096 times
Mexico is having a big sale right now as far as I know, so it's probably a more economical destination.

My husband and I almost went to Mexico but decided on Puerto Rico instead. We just got back a couple of weeks ago and we loved it. Excellent food (more spanish influence than caribbean, so think spanish tapas), friendly people, a good mix of city life and laid back beach attitude, reasonable prices, and boy.. these people really know how to party!! We stayed in San Juan since it was our first trip, but when we go again, we'll stay in the southwest corner of the island, which has better beach.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:20 PM

127 posts, read 252,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I'm mostly interested in what you have experienced but will take 2d-hand opinions .......I and girlfriend (40s) looking for a place to go, prefer as family UNfriendly as possible frankly, ie as few kids as possible. Last thing we want on a vacation are crying/screaming kids.

- Cancun I've never been to and considering, but that might be a little bit younger crowd and more party/drunk-fest than we're up for.

- I have been to Ixtapa already so that's out.

- Bahamas are out.

Other than that, pretty open. Where have you been, how much did/didn't you like it and why? Thx!
I love Aruba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or