U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 05:31 PM

1,657 posts, read 3,976,771 times

Advertisements

OK, I am stumped and cannot find the Google query phrase I need.

I am looking for an interactive web site to plan my drive from Chicago to Portland, OR along I-80 & I-84. You know, figure out for how far to drive in a day, then search for cheaper rates for a motel (on a different web browser tab?), that sort of thing. Then I might know when I will have an approximate arrival date / time in Portland.

I can find all kinds of places that will tell me about sightseeing, diversions, location finder of camping grounds, RV parks, and so on. But I am not on a tourist trip. I just don't want to sleep in the SUV, nor do I want to drive until exhausted and start again the next day.

There just has to be a web site to plan driving hours, truck-stops for food and fuel, and stopping over-nite, for the major cross country Interstates, don't there?

TIA.

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:29 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,520,440 times
This is how I've eenjoyed planning and executing such trips:

MAP(s) of the states / interstates / cities I'll drive through. Mapquest.com is useful for that. Your local large drug stores will have portable road maps of your state and neighboring states, and likely also a road map of the U.S. Gas stations usually have U.S. road maps. I calculate daily mileage, plus or minus 20 or 30 miles, by using the measurement legend that's usually in the lower right corner of any map, large or small.

TRIPADVISOR.COM to find lodgings and comparative prices in the towns/cities I'll pass through.

TRIPADVISOR.COM to find sights and attractions I might want to visit throughout the trip.

COMMON WISDOM that leisurely driving is 250 miles per day, give or take, and that driving more than about 500 miles per day can quickly destroy eyesight, reflexes, and general ability to think.

And I've phoned ahead to make motel reservations, and I've charted out my plans -- and alternatives -- in Excel and printed out my plan to take it with me.

I wish you great fun on your fascinating adventure!

Last edited by allforcats; 07-23-2009 at 08:45 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 10:59 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,453,541 times
In general, you can use Google Maps for your basic mapping needs. Just type in a location then get directions to or from there. It will outline routes and driving times for you. You can then alter the route if you want to, by adding waypoints. Use allforcats guidelines for driving distances, or use the drive time calculations from the map to figure out where you're going to stop along the way. Typically, I try to drive no more than 400 miles per day when I'm on my road trips, but I've done as much as about 700 on some long trips. On average, I prefer to keep the mileage to around 200 miles per day, but that's averaged over the whole trip of usually two weeks or so. Depending on your driving preferences, you'll want to find places to stop every few hundred miles or so along the way. On many highways there are truck stops every hundred miles or so, but in some cases, it may be about twice that. I can't think of any major highway I've driven where I haven't seen at least one truck stop every 200 miles.

You can also go to the truck stop websites to find locations. Try searching for Flying J, Love's, Pilot, Petro, Maverik (Maverick?), or TA truckstops (or any others that come to mind), then look for a location guide on their websites. This might help you decide where you want to stop each day.

Edit: I wanted to add that I went to the Flying J website, and found that they typically have truck stops about every 100 miles along I-84 through Idaho and I-80 through Wyoming and Utah. The only places that looked sparse along your route were Oregon and Nebraska. There were only two Flying J truck stops on I-80 in Nebraska, about 250 miles apart. There were also only two along I-84 in Oregon, also about 250 miles apart. There are, of course, other truck stops along the way, too, but I wanted to use Flying J as an example because I am familiar with them. Here's a link: http://www.flyingj.com/flyingjPortal...portal_page_98

Last edited by jdavid93225; 07-23-2009 at 11:12 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 05:25 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,678,649 times
You can accomplish most of what you want with a Rand McNally Truckers Atlas. And, you can take it with you!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:05 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,807,857 times
Rand Mcnally has a good online website to help you plan road trips. Trip advisor is also my favorite when it comes down to choosing hotels.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:07 AM

14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Edit: I wanted to add that I went to the Flying J website, and found that they typically have truck stops about every 100 miles along I-84 through Idaho and I-80 through Wyoming and Utah. The only places that looked sparse along your route were Oregon and Nebraska. There were only two Flying J truck stops on I-80 in Nebraska, about 250 miles apart. There were also only two along I-84 in Oregon, also about 250 miles apart. There are, of course, other truck stops along the way, too, but I wanted to use Flying J as an example because I am familiar with them. Here's a link: Flying J
There are two advantages to Flying J. First, they post their gas prices for each of their stores every morning on the internet which allows you to budget. Second, it is one of the FEW truck stops that has healthy food readily available for purchase (in addition to all the junk food).

Old 07-24-2009, 11:06 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,871,579 times
How about using AAA's Web site?

Here's one that I have bookmarked for AAA Mid Atlantic: Auto Travel - Travel Services - AAA Mid-Atlantic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or