Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 09:48 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Been there, done that. Every single one of them, and then some. Many I've visited more than once. So now the world is my oyster.
And there are hundreds more. I like international travel but have to admit I would rather spend three days in Ouray, CO or Big Bend National Park than three days in Paris or London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 09:52 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
There are some people who will give you all sorts of reasons why they haven't crossed the Pacific or Atlantic, to disguise the real reasons why.

In my sister's case, with her multitude of excuses, which I've seen through each and every one of them: extreme tightness with $$!

She's so tight with money, she even schemes to get virtually free trips in this country. She has an antique business. So, she's then able to write off the mileage, the motels and even some meals, while stopping off at antique stores along the way.

She always aspired to go to England and New Zealand to visit some of her husband's oldest surviving relatives. She waited so long, they're now dead, and goody-goody, now she's got a real reason not to go!

Old 08-14-2015, 11:52 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
I have some relatives who say they don't travel to any place where they don't speak English, which really makes their world a lot smaller, I think.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:03 AM

346 posts, read 647,176 times
My main reason is airfare. I live in a relatively small city where I would need connecting flights just to leave the continent. Flying to the cheapest European or Asian destination is well over $1,000. And the connecting flights and layovers would exhaust me and take two days out of the beginning and end. And at most, I would get two weeks off, so I would use half of that to get ready, travel, come back, and readjust. I would rather spend more of that money on meals and better accommodations and more time relaxing. So North American (including Mexican/Caribbean) destinations are more convenient.
I see going to Europe or Asia as a once in a lifetime thing.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
My main reason is airfare. I live in a relatively small city where I would need connecting flights just to leave the continent. Flying to the cheapest European or Asian destination is well over $1,000. And the connecting flights and layovers would exhaust me and take two days out of the beginning and end. And at most, I would get two weeks off, so I would use half of that to get ready, travel, come back, and readjust. I would rather spend more of that money on meals and better accommodations and more time relaxing. So North American (including Mexican/Caribbean) destinations are more convenient.
Nope.

Regardless of where you live in the U.S. You can get to Europe or most of Asia in a single day of travel, as you do the trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific portion overnight outbound. So worst case you are up pre-dawn to get to the airport. From there you fly to a connecting airport or maybe even your gateway airport (DFW, HOU, PHX, LAX) then onto the gateway airport (LAX, SFO, SEA, MIA, CLT, ORD, ATL, BOS, EWR, PHL, WAS, or JFK typically) and then take your international flight which leaves sometime between 8:00 pm and midnight. So now you have burned one day. (You pack and otherwise prepare in the evening or weekend before you leave.) you arrive at your destination and get through the the first day, get to sleep in the later evening, and wake up the next day ready to rock it.

You spend 10-12 days and then take a morning or midday flight home, usually returning by midnight from Europe or sometimes the Asian flights back are overnight and you return the next day. Either way, if you have two weeks off you have plenty of time to travel overseas. I would also caution about making airfare assumptions, right now the Euro is depressed against the USD, and the tickets on many foreign carriers and their U.S. Partners are $1000 or less to much of Europe.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:41 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
If it's something that you would like to do, there are some low carriers like Wow or Norwegian airlines that have relatively cheap fares to Europe. I haven't flown them so I don't know what the experience is like. Also Emirates, one of the top airlines in the world, will have specials that make long haul trips extremely affordable. My sister and I were able to get their deal to fly from JFK to Milan for $400 each.

The other thing to keep in mind is that once you are in Europe it is relatively cheap to get from one country to another, especially if you use low cost carriers like EasyJet or Ryan Air.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:08 PM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
If it's something that you would like to do, there are some low carriers like Wow or Norwegian airlines that have relatively cheap fares to Europe. I haven't flown them so I don't know what the experience is like. Also Emirates, one of the top airlines in the world, will have specials that make long haul trips extremely affordable. My sister and I were able to get their deal to fly from JFK to Milan for $400 each.

The other thing to keep in mind is that once you are in Europe it is relatively cheap to get from one country to another, especially if you use low cost carriers like EasyJet or Ryan Air.
Yes, to the budget European airlines! I flew Norwegian roundtrip from NYC to London Gatwick for under $400. I think as more Americans find out about these airlines/deals, we'll see more international travel overseas. Lord knows that I would not have made that London trip without getting such a deal!

Old 08-17-2015, 08:46 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, to the budget European airlines! I flew Norwegian roundtrip from NYC to London Gatwick for under $400. I think as more Americans find out about these airlines/deals, we'll see more international travel overseas. Lord knows that I would not have made that London trip without getting such a deal!
I'd like to do this, but also am afraid as well b/c it seems cheap but then they charge you for everything else and the total comes out to about the same price as if you went with a major carrier.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I'd like to do this, but also am afraid as well b/c it seems cheap but then they charge you for everything else and the total comes out to about the same price as if you went with a major carrier.
Not really.

You get charged for food, pre-selecting a seat, and baggage over a certain size/weight.

Bring your own food or eat right before you get on the plane and bring a granola bar to eat when you wake up before you land.

Economy seats suck regardless of where they are in the plane. Take an Advil PM once you board and get some sleep.

Pack light. I go to Europe for three weeks in a 20" bag and a tote. It's actually pretty easy, you just have to give it a little thought.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:39 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not really.

You get charged for food, pre-selecting a seat, and baggage over a certain size/weight.

Bring your own food or eat right before you get on the plane and bring a granola bar to eat when you wake up before you land.

Economy seats suck regardless of where they are in the plane. Take an Advil PM once you board and get some sleep.

Pack light. I go to Europe for three weeks in a 20" bag and a tote. It's actually pretty easy, you just have to give it a little thought.

Oh I've flown to Europe, this past May in fact. I'm strictly speaking from the perspective of when I go next time...the reviews are hit and miss on this airline so yeah...you get what you pay for. For most, I'd rather pay the extra money for peace of mind. I read one review where this airline sent people a text that said the flight was delayed, then another carrier was going to take them, then it was canceled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel