U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:26 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,178,123 times

Advertisements

What I also learned from the medications that I took is that you can not predict behavior. I was scared to death and they had no affect on me - and the moment the plane landed and I was relaxed -- totaly zombie wipe out. :-) It was funny the next day as all these people greeted me and I had no recall of having met them. I have never taken any meds again for flying.

What works best for me is the deep breathing, deep relaxation to the point where you can zone yourself to another place in your head. I even took flying lessons to overcome my fear. I learned that when I am in control of the aircraft all is well. I also learned that I am claustrophobic which was a difficult thing for me to handle. Not me - I have my act together ... ha, ha.

Take care - you have my support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 04:39 PM

207 posts, read 935,988 times
I hate flying,, I think it is normal to be scared of flying, you are 25,000 feet above ground and if something happens there is nothing you can do, I think it is normal and a natural reaction to be scared of that

Old 04-25-2007, 04:56 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,571,224 times
There are different sizes of Xanax. I have the smallest. Sometimes I even break those in half. Just knowing you have them helps a lot. You can choose to take one or not. If it gets bumpy or you freak out, take one.

I don't take them before going to the airport, I take them at the airport when I know the flight will leave on time - usually about 30 minutes before boarding.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:04 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,352,796 times
That is the way I do it too. One half when I get to the airport and if I need the other half I take it. I have always been fine to drive on the other end of my trip (even if I have to take another 1/2). Mine are pretty mild and just take the edge of the fear I have of being up that high.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:28 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,272,398 times
Cunard Lines has 2 ships that cross the Atlantic Ocean. It takes 5 days each way and is a vacation it itself. AND, it's cheaper than flying.
Forget the drugs and spend the money on a cruise. QE2 or QM2. it would take 5 days each way, that leaves 4 days with relatives. That's plenty of time. Fish and company stink after 3 days.
I'm not really being flippant, but since I discovered Cunard Lines, I don;t worry about flying anymore.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:58 PM

65 posts, read 320,924 times
Why fly if it makes you feel uncomfortable or causes you to have fear. Thats no way to enjoy your vacation! Besides, flying uses more fuel and is more expensive than other method of transportation. Definitely not for me!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:06 AM

124 posts, read 616,492 times
I developed a paralyzing phobia of fliying about 25 years ago after 3-in-a-row terrifing flights. My job required a few flights a year, and when I could no longer avoid business flying a sought counseling from our company's Employee Assistance Program. I spent nearly 5 months in twice weekly sessions. The first few sessions were like traditonal counseling -- revealing my life to my counselor and consequent discussion. Then, the final 3 months were all about relaxation therapy (almost like self-hypnosis). I can't stress enough how valuable that was. Also, she helped me see (it was right under my nose but I couldn't figure it out on my own) that, from childhood, I had severe motion sickness. So when there was turbulence on the plane, I became anxious about the possibility of vomiting and humiliating myself (something that I was too tightly controlled to allow myself to do). I now take Dramamine when I fly -- I tried to fly without it once on a very short flight, but we encountered horrible storms that threw us all over the sky and the 45 minute flight became two hours when our plane was directed to circle and circle and circle the airport. I won't fly without it again.

I did finally have my episode of throwing up on a plane during another extremely turbulent flight -- I was on a tiny prop plane and everyone on the plane but me thought they were going to die. I grabbed my barf bag, did the duty, felt a little embarrassed, but realized no one was paying attention to me because they were focusing all of their willpower to keep the plane in the air. It was a freeing experience -- I lost my fear of embarrassment (about almost anything) and it started me on the road to being a more relaxed person.

I'm still not crazy about flying, but I do it with almost no anxiety.

Here's a couple of websites that may help: http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/f...FQstWAodM0N-VA

http://www.flyingwithoutfear.com/?gc...FQlQWAodMVLsVQ

Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,102 times
Anxiety is an illness whether it be short or long term. If you have a headache you would not say use "mind over matter" you would take a tablet. The same with Anxiety, it is really annoying when people say its mind over matter, think positive. People shouldnt judge anyone unless they have experienced what that person is going through. Good luck sweetie

Old 09-08-2009, 01:16 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,305,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Any suggestions as to how I can over come this fear would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
If you want to overcome it, keep flying and face the fears. Remember that many thousands of people do this safely every day, that mishaps are extremely rare, and that other means of travel generally carry greater risks. If you do, my hat's off to you, as to anyone who chooses to spit in the eye of fear.

You could also just drug yourself with Xanex. That's what my wife has to do. She isn't really the type of person who considers a primal fear something to be faced, spat upon, pounded into the pavement and conquered, and I guess that's her right. I get so bored on airplanes I started taking it myself on long flights simply to sleep through them, since the airline isn't giving you anything good or fun most of the time anyway and no one next to you wants to chat, so it's basically a prison stay without the bodily violations. I didn't find that it made me drowsy, but I did find myself briefly hating airlines, aircrew and air travel less, and I also found that if I tried I could now sleep. Very nice to just sack out from Iceland to Manitoba on a flight from Amsterdam to Seattle. Most docs will probably prescribe it if you tell them that flying scares the bejeebers out of you.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:50 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,741,043 times
I'm scared to death of airplanes. You couldn't get me into one of those crazy contraptions if you paid me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or