U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:30 AM

20 posts, read 65,920 times

Advertisements

I was never afraid of flying until I had a anxiety attack at the airport 18 months ago.

I was really worried about getting on the plane after that because I didn't know what was happening to me at the time and I was worried that there was something seriously wrong with me. I was concerned that if I needed medical attention on the plane no one would be able to help me as I would be half way over the atlantic on my way to Orlando

Consequently a few days after I got there I ended up in ER at Celebration hospital. The doctors could not find anything wrong, it was only when I returned to the UK that my doctor here told me that I had developed an anxiety disorder.

I was NEVER scared of flying before but because of this experience I don't like flying now or being at the airport.

Also this is my first trip back to Florida since that time and I am worried about how I will be as I keep thinking I will go back to how I was last time I was there.

Sorry about this really long post but I feel like I really need some reassurance as my holiday is only 2 weeks away!

Any suggestions as to how I can over come this fear would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
Xanax. Go to the doc and get some. After you fly a few more times, you will probably be OK.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,354,622 times
I use Xanax every time I fly! I was terrified of flying for years and then a doctor told me she took a Xanax, and her fear of flying was calmed. I have been traveling for 10 years now taking them before I get inside the airport, and would never think of getting on a plane without one.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:07 AM

Hi thanks for your feedback. I am just worried that these pills will make me drowsy? I am driving at the other end so would it still be a good idea to take them?

Thanks

Old 04-24-2007, 07:16 AM

653 posts, read 3,133,137 times
You SHOULD be more afraid of the drive TO the airport. Flying is the Safest form of transportation by far. Forget the drugs!! Seriously-Excercise "Mind Over Matter!!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:30 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,960,936 times
Why is it that every time someone has a problem that could be worked out with a little counseling or just self control, that so many recommend drugs? Can't concentrate - just take drugs, can't sleep - pop a pill, get nervous - drugs are the cure....this is such a lazy and dangerous philosophy. There are people who need drugs because of chemical imbalances and other issues, but really people, get a grip on your self control...most of these problems can be fixed without drugs.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Why is it that every time someone has a problem that could be worked out with a little counseling or just self control, that so many recommend drugs? Can't concentrate - just take drugs, can't sleep - pop a pill, get nervous - drugs are the cure....this is such a lazy and dangerous philosophy. There are people who need drugs because of chemical imbalances and other issues, but really people, get a grip on your self control...most of these problems can be fixed without drugs.
Thank you to everyone for your constructive feedback.

I do actually have an anxiety disorder anyway. I have had it for 18 months now and have NEVER taken drugs for it. My anxiety just makes things like flying worse for me. So I wondered if there was a one off drug I could use.

I don't think that it is fair to say 'just get a grip'. I think that people in my position would argue that it is a very hard thing to do. It takes a lot of practice and time to overcome these fears. You can't just snap out of it. Anxiety is a very horrible thing and unless you experience it for yourself there is no way you can possibly understand how it effects people.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 AM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Hi thanks for your feedback. I am just worried that these pills will make me drowsy? I am driving at the other end so would it still be a good idea to take them?

Thanks
I am thinking you are flying a long distance? It should be no problem. Check for sure when you get your prescription. They do make some people drowsy. No way for sure to know how they will affect you till you try it.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:22 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,960,936 times
Act - you really should have mentioned in your original post that you have an anxiety disorder...if you have been diagnosed by a qualified doctor, then you should be inquiring of the doctor what course to take in order to deal with your problems - not here.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Act - you really should have mentioned in your original post that you have an anxiety disorder...if you have been diagnosed by a qualified doctor, then you should be inquiring of the doctor what course to take in order to deal with your problems - not here.
I am having acupuncture for it which has helped me generally but I just wanted a one off fix for that day. I wanted to know what peoples opinions on these drugs were as my doctors just tends to hand them out freely. They have already tried to palm me off with the drugs before but I have always turned them down. I just wanted a quick fix for that one day of travelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or