U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:19 AM

25,669 posts, read 24,298,688 times

Advertisements

I remember back in Az those exits were numbered and named. Out here in Calif I dont recall seeing exits with numbers, only names. Come to think of it, I wonder if we even have those mile markers, dont recall seeing those, or maybe Im just not looking for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 08:46 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,345,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I remember back in Az those exits were numbered and named. Out here in Calif I dont recall seeing exits with numbers, only names. Come to think of it, I wonder if we even have those mile markers, dont recall seeing those, or maybe Im just not looking for them.
Livewire, CA never had mile markers for their highways. A couple of years ago, the feds forced CA to install them on interstate highways. I imagine it will be a s-l-o-w process. Haven't been in CA in more than 5 years, so I'm not sure how much progress they've made.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,037 times
I have a question...do earthquakes cause enough change in the land to cause the distance between highway mile markers to change? I know this may seem like a dumb question, but personally I would think that if an earthquake caused a split or a crack (especially on a highway), you would then have added whatever distance that the width of that crack would be, right? IF that were the case, how often would the mile markers be adjusted? IF not, what's the amount of error allowed before mile markers are adjusted?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:36 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
T It's not just a convenience issue anymore; it's a safety issue!!!

No, it's not. Take a deep breath.

Safety issues are the most overrated red-herrings in America. Of all the thousands and thousands of fatal accidents in this country, how many do you think are caused by confusion about metric/miles? Compared to other things, that can be easily and quickly fixed.

I was on the bus the other day, and a woman pointed at a playground with kids on swings. She said "those kids are playing too close to this busy road" What she failed to take into account in her knee-jerk mother-hen reaction was the 8-foot chain link fence between the traffic and the kids.

It's amazing how people will get all bent out of shape about something insignificantly trivial, and then try to blame safety issues for their demand that millons of dollars be invested in repairing it.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:01 PM

11,175 posts, read 10,993,793 times
The Exit numbers in ME were renumbered a few years ago to correspond to the mile markers. I hope more states do that soon.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:42 AM

812 posts, read 3,582,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I imagine it will be a s-l-o-w process. Haven't been in CA in more than 5 years, so I'm not sure how much progress they've made.
It's coming along in a bit of a haphazard fashion. You'll see a block of exits with numbers, and then some more that don't. I don't believe any of the exits by me in San Diego have them, but I've noticed them on the 5 thru the central valley.

I'd guess that they are trying for places where the majority of the traffic is trucking/road tripping vs the metro areas where people are a little more familiar with the area.

The problem is that until they're all done, most people here don't trust or bother to learn how to use the numbers, because even though google maps/iphone/mapquest and the like have gotten the exits numbered, you can't ever be sure that your exit will have the number posted yet!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:41 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
In Illinois, there are frequent mileposts that are calibrated to the 1/100 of a mile from the county line, I think they are posted only at water crossings, like bridges and culverts, but there are a lot of them

Old 12-13-2008, 12:44 PM

6,239 posts, read 15,442,099 times
When I was coming back from visiting a friend in Oregon a few years ago, I shrieked with joy when I saw the "Welcome to California" sign, even though I was still hundreds of miles from home. The next exit # was 796, or something like that. For comparison, the exit nearest where I live is #146A.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,162 times
Question Mileage markers

I can understand and appreciate the need for MILE MARKERS but can anyone provide any rationale for markers every 0.2 miles or even worse every 0.05 miles? This is the situation on I-89 in Vermont. I-93 in NH the last time I checked was every 0.2 miles.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,345,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogo33 View Post
I can understand and appreciate the need for MILE MARKERS but can anyone provide any rationale for markers every 0.2 miles or even worse every 0.05 miles? This is the situation on I-89 in Vermont. I-93 in NH the last time I checked was every 0.2 miles.
Jogo33, my educated guess is that emergency response crews can be directed to the more precise location of the incident they are responding to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or