U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:48 PM

111 posts, read 221,371 times

Advertisements

I usually don't have to worry about this, but this time I do. If I need to take a bottle of over-the-counter medicine (Advil most likely, but maybe Tylenol), can it go on my carry-on? I've looked at the TSA site and most of the mention of medicines on there are aerosols, liguids, and gels, but unless I've missed something, nothing is said about the over-the-counter stuff and how it should be packed. What are the guidelines for something like Advil or Tylenol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 09:57 PM

821 posts, read 1,299,749 times
all medications should be in your carry-on (unless it's over the 3 oz liquid)
what if your check bags goes missing, then so does your medications

Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 PM

They aren't liquid and they aren't prescription. I was just wondering about the guidelines for it. Even though they aren't liquid, does the TSA want them in ziplock bags or can I just keep the bottle in my carry-on without a bag? And do I need to inform the TSA people when I get to the checkpoint?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:06 PM

9,924 posts, read 8,912,225 times
I put all my medications (both prescription and non-prescription) in a zip lock plastic bag and carry it on.

If I'm taking advil or vitamins I take only unopened packaging in my hand luggage unless I have them included on my doctor's letter.

I carry my prescriptions with my passport and a letter from my doctor and have that available where necessary. Amazingly I've only ever had to show it going through customs in New Zealand and that was after I'd offered it.

You do need to be aware of the laws regarding some over the counter medications in some countries though.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I put all my medications (both prescription and non-prescription) in a zip lock plastic bag and carry it on.

If I'm taking advil or vitamins I take only unopened packaging in my hand luggage unless I have them included on my doctor's letter.

I carry my prescriptions with my passport and a letter from my doctor and have that available where necessary. Amazingly I've only ever had to show it going through customs in New Zealand and that was after I'd offered it.

You do need to be aware of the laws regarding some over the counter medications in some countries though.
Lucky for me that I'm not going International this time

Old 07-31-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3 View Post
Lucky for me that I'm not going International this time
Fair enough.

Look as far as I'm aware you'd be ok taking over the counter medications like advil with you in your hand luggage as long as you're prepared to lose it if you end up with an overzealous type. Having it in it's original container with the tamper proof seal unbroken does seem to help.

I guess I'm so used to travelling with medications now that I just put everything in the zip lock bag and make sure that customs and security can see it easily. I do also put advil in my stow away luggage.

I've never been stopped, questioned or had anything confiscated BUT I do travel with more paperwork than an English professor!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 PM

4,331 posts, read 3,234,742 times
I have never had any problems with over the counter pills. I do not put them in the ziploc bag or even take them out of my carry on. Stuff like cough syrup could be a problem if over 3 oz and/or not in a quart bag

Old 07-31-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.

Look as far as I'm aware you'd be ok taking over the counter medications like advil with you in your hand luggage as long as you're prepared to lose it if you end up with an overzealous type. Having it in it's original container with the tamper proof seal unbroken does seem to help.

I guess I'm so used to travelling with medications now that I just put everything in the zip lock bag and make sure that customs and security can see it easily. I do also put advil in my stow away luggage.

I've never been stopped, questioned or had anything confiscated BUT I do travel with more paperwork than an English professor!
Sounds like my mom. Seriously, if she was to fly someplace, she would need probably 3 bags at least for her prescription stuff and that's not even including anything she may take to calm her nerves for the flights.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3 View Post
Sounds like my mom. Seriously, if she was to fly someplace, she would need probably 3 bags at least for her prescription stuff and that's not even including anything she may take to calm her nerves for the flights.
Yeah, I've got stuff that freaks out security so it's quite possible they only focus on making sure I've got all the paperwork for the scary stuff and don't notice my advil so much.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:52 AM

9,710 posts, read 4,360,965 times
Quote:
Same here. Never had any problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel