Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,908,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
although in Sept. it may not be that crazy
FYI, September and October are the months with the highest probability for hurricanes in that region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:13 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,560,065 times
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I love Cozumel for the most incredible diving and snorkeling--Palancar Reef. Absolutely wild. Playa del Carmen has more activities and things to do. Further south down the coast is Akumal which is very romantic and out-of-the-way--at least it was the last time I was there. Low key.

The ruins at Tulum (go early to avoid all the bus loads of visitors)...and further away, rising from the jungle, are mysterious Mayan pyramids of Coba...fascinating place. Saw many jewel-like butterflies there...a Harrison Ford/Indiana Jones kind of place for sure!

One favorite thing we did was to hire a local guide/taxi driver and asked him to take us to hidden cenotes--mysterious pools that rise up out of the sandstone--swimming in those is unworldly and unlike anything you can imagine...cool, clear deep water fringed by jungle trees and vegetation..you half expect to see a dinosaur come lumbering out of the forest...maybe not for everyone, but if there's a wild streak of adventure in you and you love nature, this might be the highlight of your trip...

You've got to be a little agile to access some of these cenotes, climb down a rickety wooden ladder on occasion...others are just off the highway and anyone can get to them easily...if you know where to look...that's why it's best to hire a guide...your hotel can help with that...

Anyhow, I love that part of the world and the Maya people...gentle, fun and great cooks...try some of the local specialties...wish I were going back soon...if anyone needs a guidebook written, I'm your gal!!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:46 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,453,031 times
Playa del Carmen has a Senor Frog's right on the beach. It is MUCH smaller than the one in Cancun, and open to the ocean breezes. I recommend you find a mom-and -pop place to eat authentic food, then stop there for drinks, dancing and silly fun. Last time we were there, a yellow lab ran up to us (IN the restaurant) with a wet tennis ball in his mouth. We threw it over the railing into the ocean and he raced down to get it. Then came back for more.
They had games like-name that song for a free shot. Very low-key. Salsa and merengue dancing (and conga line of course). Not a lot of grinding bodies and 18 year olds in heat. Just drinking, dancing and fun. It is right next to the ferry dock which is a great place to people watch!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,733,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
FYI, September and October are the months with the highest probability for hurricanes in that region.
Yes, I'm aware of that but it's when we have to go. The funny thing is, years ago when I use to travel the Caribbean all the time, we always seemed to go in Sept. and only once were hit by a hurricaine and it was only a day. We want to go to an island and we did HI the last three years, so that's why I'm looking at places in the Caribbean.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:35 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,775,004 times
Quote:
Has anyone been there? How is it for vacation? I'm looking for an all inclusive hotel somewhere I haven't been to already and was curious about Playa Del Carmen. I've only been to Cozumel Mexico and wasn't crazy about it, so I'm not sure about going to Mexico at all. We would like a place that's sort of quiet but still has things going on. (not cancun)
It is a nice place but 2 tips: do not go in September, it is very, very hot. Also, if you are offended by bare female breats , do not go there, almost all european women there go topless while on the beach.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of that but it's when we have to go. The funny thing is, years ago when I use to travel the Caribbean all the time, we always seemed to go in Sept. and only once were hit by a hurricaine and it was only a day. We want to go to an island and we did HI the last three years, so that's why I'm looking at places in the Caribbean.
You were lucky... I certainly wouldn't go to an island in particular during the hurricane season myself.

I wanna go to Riviera Maya this fall, but I'm gonna wait for the first half of November. On the other hand, I'm a bit worried the water might not be warm enough. Both times I've gone there it was at the end of May. One time it wasn't that bad, but the water could've been a bit warmer for my taste. However, I hope at the tail end of the hot season the likelihood of the water being warm is probably higher than at the beginning of summer...

Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,733,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
It is a nice place but 2 tips: do not go in September, it is very, very hot. Also, if you are offended by bare female breats , do not go there, almost all european women there go topless while on the beach.
I was afraid of that, the heat I mean. Female breasts I'm not offended by, I happen to have two myself. : ) Thanks for the info.

Quote:
You were lucky... I certainly wouldn't go to an island in particular during the hurricane season myself.

I wanna go to Riviera Maya this fall, but I'm gonna wait for the first half of November. On the other hand, I'm a bit worried the water might not be warm enough. Both times I've gone there it was at the end of May. One time it wasn't that bad, but the water could've been a bit warmer for my taste. However, I hope at the tail end of the hot season the likelihood of the water being warm is probably higher than at the beginning of summer...
I never heard of Riviera Maya, I'm going to look it up.
Now we're talking about taking a cruise instead. This trip has changed twenty times already. I really want to go to Italy but can't afford it this year.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I never heard of Riviera Maya, I'm going to look it up.
Now we're talking about taking a cruise instead. This trip has changed twenty times already. I really want to go to Italy but can't afford it this year.
Riviera May is everything around Playa del Carmen, South of Cancun. I just didn't say anything about Playna del Carmen because I didn't go there. I've stayed in Cancun and Akumal, and also went to Tulum, but only on a day trip. The beaches in Tulum were great and particularly picturesque around the ruins, but the ambience didn't quite agree with me for some reason... Maybe because it happened to be a cloudy day and everything looked gloomy. These are the best Mexican beaches I've been to so far and since they're Caribbean, I doubt there's anything better anywhere else in Mexico.

I like Puerto Vallarta. The jungle is great after the rainy season, but their beach is really nothing to write home about. It’s also hurricane-proof except for the year I went – they were hit about a week after I left in ’02. There are some nice beaches in this area, but they're either accessible only by water taxi (Yelapa) or you can't stay there at all (Las Caletas). Farther North the water is rough, for surfers. It may be OK for some people, but it's not my thing. Same goes for Mazatlan. Haven't been there, but could see the waves while flying over it. As far as Cabo... if I want to stay by the pool and enjoy desert vegetation, I'd stay at home. The water doesn't get warm at all - same like in San Diego.

Oh, I totally understand your dilemmas... I haven't booked it yet myself and the prices went up a bit already. I also want to go to Europe perhaps next year and you can stretch the budget only so far... As much as I feel like going to Europe, though, I need a vacation not even in November, but NOW! However, I don't wanna take a chance with the hurricane season and it's probably way too hot right now.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:40 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:

No worries, sierraAZ. We went down 3 years ago in early Dec., and the water was PERFECT. It was still hot during the day, but with almost AZ-like humidity. Probably the most comfortable trip we've had down there, weather wise.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:55 AM

398 posts, read 725,256 times
Quote:
Has anyone been there? How is it for vacation? I'm looking for an all inclusive hotel somewhere I haven't been to already and was curious about Playa Del Carmen. I've only been to Cozumel Mexico and wasn't crazy about it, so I'm not sure about going to Mexico at all. We would like a place that's sort of quiet but still has things going on. (not cancun)
We just came back from there and we always stay at the Palace Resorts. They are beautiful, great service and are offering great specials. The have a family and adult resort in Playa de Carmen they are AVentura Cove and Aventura Spa
www.palaceresorts.com
They are in the Riviera Maya but just minutes away from Playa del Carmen. The one in Playa del Carmen is Playacar Palace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel