Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM

17 posts, read 45,260 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are moving to West Palm Beach next Wednesday. Our local airport said we didn't need a health certificate for our 2 cats. We assumed that mean Florida wouldn't need one. But now I'm wondering... What if? Our vet said to schedule 10 days in advance, and he and I won't be around until next week!! We have vet papers of vaccines, would that be enough? These cats are killing us!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 05:44 AM

351 posts, read 1,873,624 times
Where are you moving FROM? If from overseas, you need to be able to present updated vaccine documents and a health certificate issued by a vet within one week of travel which shows that the cats are healthy. Any vet can provide that, and it sounds like you already have the vaccine records.

If you are moving from within the US.... unless you cross an international border, no one will ask any questions and there are no limitations (that I know of) of interstate cat transport.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
I travel with pets and never go anywhere without health certs. I keep a copy of them in the glove box just in case anything happens.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 PM

We're moving from NY. I'll have the vet papers on hand, but we don't have any certs. It's been so hectic that I thought a call to the airport we're flying out of was enough, and now I'm nervous that once we fly in we'll need certs. But I'm hoping not. 8-)

Old 08-06-2009, 03:25 PM

351 posts, read 1,873,624 times
I think you'll be fine. As long as the airlines agrees to take the cats (which is the only reason health certificates might be required), FL won't be asking questions upon arrival. I'm assuming that you've checked with the airline about reservations (not to give you something more to worry about): there's a seasonal ban on cats in the luggage hold, and the "extreme" summer months are usually blacked out for pets.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:15 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
I am hoping you aren't checking them in, I would never trust an animal to an airline to carry in the hold, and as the above said there are seasonal restrictions anyways, I doubt you are allowed in the summer.

Typically, an animal can be carried on board if it can fit in a carrier that will fit underneath the seat. In that case it's just treated as carry on luggage, and again in that case there would be no certificates to worry about except what is required by the airline. Walk off the plane with your cats and be on your way. It's not like airports have the local Animal Control officer on site. The airlines should be able to answer all your questions on what is required for checking in or carrying on board.

Don't call the airport, call the AIRLINES. If you are not sure of the answer you got, call again and talk to a different person.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 PM

My fiance and I are carrying them on, they're reserved, and I just bought 2 carriers according to the rules! We also got a homeopathic remedy for the cats, since the older one is a wreck on car rides. Tickets for us were $74 each, and it cost $68 per cat!!!!!!! But it's worth it, I couldn't ever check them. I'd be worried of them getting lost or hurt. Thanks for all the answers! 8-)

Old 08-09-2009, 07:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,869 times
Again check the airline - most states no issues I do know Alaska state has to be a health certificate less than 30 days old and Hawaii is less than 14 days with a hell months drawn out more of a process.. More than likely Florida wouldn't need it - again check with the airline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel