Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 10:54 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a good friend of mine who use to work in the corporate world which required him to travel frequently for work. Even though he enjoyed visiting different cities and states, he described it as "tiring work" due to the fact that he would be in a place for 3-5 days and then go home or move on to another city for another short stay. Basically, he was constantly on the go while traveling for work.

This brings another question. Are there any jobs or companies that allow you to work in a city for 5-7 months, then work somewhere else for 5-7 months. Basically like a person who lives up north for the summers and fall, but heads down south as a snow bird for the winters but can work at both locations.

I would think that entry level jobs in companies like Walmart, Starbucks, etc. may allow one to do it. Does anyone know? Or does anyone know of other higher paying jobs or companies that allow to work one place for a period of time, and another for a period of time. Or, better yet, allow you to move around every 6 months.
It seems like an interesting option for semi-retirees, retirees, or individuals that do not require a big income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 05:42 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Perhaps airplane pilots....

Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Cape Air hires pilots for work in the summer up in MA and in FL/Caribbean for the winter months. I would assume they would hire general employees to do the same sort of schedule.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:27 PM

351 posts, read 1,873,408 times
scuba diving instructor.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Ski instructor ... combined with rafting/fishing guide, or heading to another location for a second ski season each year.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
adjunct professor,
Alaska commercial fishing (work 8 wks for 1 yrs pay),
Windsurfing instructor,
Trapper,
Dryland grain farmer (CDN if in Northern Hemisphere and Austraila in southern; plenty of CDN farmers do both regions, and take holiday enroute (work related travel expense)
International Teacher for US DOD (Defense department bases) is a good gig. Travel + pay

I did 'foreign assignments' for a corporation in Asia and Europe. Lots of fun for the family, bit exhausting for the wage earner, but worthwhile way to travel (company paid). I also did 5 yrs of Asia > US trips 1x/month (2wks each area). It was great once I got used to the schedule coming home. (eastbound is TOUGH on your internal clock, secret... just stay up for 36 hrs or sleep on plane a bit - ALWAYS immediately adopt 'local schedule', forget the sleep part (you're burning daylight anyway ))

I've met several 'retired' couples that work for Xanterra (National Park concessionaire) They travel and enjoy the change of duties (dog's work sometimes). There is a large contingent that are National Park Volunteers as well. (free RV spots) (search workamping)

Old 08-18-2009, 09:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I've met several 'retired' couples that work for Xanterra (National Park concessionaire) They travel and enjoy the change of duties (dog's work sometimes). There is a large contingent that are National Park Volunteers as well. (free RV spots) (search workamping)
We travel around the country in the "off season" as I have a position where most of my work is June - Spetember. We get to places when the large summer and spring break crowds are gone. We get the opportunity to meet and talk to a lot of people over the course of a year.

We have met a large number of older people who migrate around the country working seasonal jobs. They work at Disney or other amusement parks during the summer. They pack fruit at Harry and David's October - December. They work in the National Parks throughout the country.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I shared a house with a home health care nurse. She had 6 month contract to different places. I knew her for a year and then she moved on, its not for me, but that would give you options and she was paid very well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel