U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 AM

6,643 posts, read 7,170,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape317 View Post
I70 Between Indianapolis and Richmond, Indiana is probably the most boring stretch I've driven on. Unfortunately I'm headed that way tomorrow to visit family in Ohio. Yuck.

I'll be moving down to Florida here in the next 6 months so this will probably change
If I-70 between Indianapolis and Richmond, IN is the most boring stretch of interstate you have ever seen, then you need to get out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Status: "there are no kings inside the gates of Eden" (set 6 days ago)

9,661 posts, read 7,118,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish2 View Post
Haha, you're talking about 93. I drove that for the first time this past summer, and it wasn't THAT bad. I found that the scenery was pretty cool until you hit northern nevada then it turned into a desert prarie type of thing without much to look at. Good highway to haul ass on though!!!

MY vote is highway 50.. although scenic in some places it's pretty much the same thing from Austin,NV to the CA border.

Highway 50..
One of the things I liked about driving highway 50 was the succession of "mountain" ranges you would see in the distance travel up and over and then see the next one 50 miles away.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:30 PM

6,351 posts, read 12,529,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If I-70 between Indianapolis and Richmond, IN is the most boring stretch of interstate you have ever seen, then you need to get out more.
Agreed; I find the frequently changing speed limit signs and construction zones in that stretch truly exciting!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 PM

339 posts, read 489,955 times
I-70 from Kansas City to Denver....

But actually those billowing thunderclouds did leave me wondering if I was going to get sucked up like the wizard of OZ. Pretty scary.

Next to that is I-75 thru Alligator Alley in Florida...BORING. but the anticipation of getting to Miami makes it pretty fun though.

There's also stretches in the mountain west that are initially exciting, but become extremely boring. Mountains, valleys and repeat for 500-600 miles, 7 or 8 hours. Believe it or not, I'm one of those people who are happy to see it snow in the mountains to get some turbulence going, although that tends to make it last even longer.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:14 AM

15,573 posts, read 4,275,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's not the most desolate stretch of interstate in the country, but I-5 from south of Tracy to the Grapevine is pretty freaking boring. Some dry, barren hills to the west and farmland to the east and not much else besides a few stops with chain restaurants and gas stations. It's probably the most boring drive in California, a state that is filled with interesting highways like 101 up the northern coastal valleys or Highway 1 down towards Big Sur or even I-80 over Donner Pass. I-5 on the other hand, is crowded and boring for much of it's coastal route--101 down through the Salinas Valley past Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo is much more interesting.

I drove that stretch of I-80 over Donner Pass...during a snowstorm...I-80 was shut down and everyone got booted off the freeway. SF to Chicago, rain and snow all the way.

The overnight stretch of I-80 through Nebraska was very boring and very desolate.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:31 AM

47,586 posts, read 32,320,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Have to agree about I-10 west of San Antonio to El Paso. All there is to see is sky and scrub. Not even road kill to break up the monotony. We have driven it twice (once west and once east) and will never drive it again!
You didn't know what to look at! You should have driven it at night and you could have pulled over and seen a million stars. You would have seen stars you never saw before. It's amazing the number of stars you can see without the glare of city lights.

You could have listened and heard hundreds of coyotes. I've driven that stretch a few times and it's not that bad. There was a better stretch through Northern New Mexico where you don't see a car or town for hours. At night all you could here were the coyotes singing. I turned off the radio and rolled down the windows and listened.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:16 PM

18,870 posts, read 13,526,419 times
Any road that takes you thru South Dakota, Kansas, and that drive on I-80 from San Franscisco to SLC, is the WORST drive ever...endless nothingness...

Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,802,677 times
I've traveld both I70 in Kansas and I40 in New Mexico and Arizona and they are VERY pretty. The most boring stretch I've driven was I-64 from Charlottesville to Norfolk, Virginia.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:09 PM

94 posts, read 127,148 times
I-75 From Atlanta to Tampa.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:59 PM

164 posts, read 345,136 times
I-10 from Phoenix to Palm Springs..... and the I-25 from Santa Fe NM up into Colorado is pretty painful as well.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel