U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:25 PM

3,791 posts, read 4,841,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I-64 between Evansville and St. Louis. Except for the oasis of Mt. Vernon, miles and miles and miles and miles of nothing. I am not a national traveler like many people, but I have literally never seen so much flat nothing.
I wouldn't really call Mt. Vernon an "oasis" lol. I do agree with you. That is one boring road. You do get to go through Nashville, Ill. Now I have been to two Nashville's...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 04:09 PM

8,972 posts, read 10,335,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
US 50 Nevada, called the 'Loneliest Road in America'

shot these a year or so ago

I happen to LIKE US 50....I realize it isn't everyone's cup of tea)...but it's not an Interstate..it's just a regular Federal Highway.

Having spent my life near the Pacific Coast, I actually enjoy desolate, remote Western Interstates....can't think of one I'd dread to go on...Even in the midwest, the sheer repetitious monotony produces a hypnotic 'high'. Luckily, my wife shares my tastes. As long as I can see 60 or 70 miles, I'm OK. Wouldn't want to LIVE there, but fun to pass through.

Actually, what I find oppressive are the Interstates in the South. Mile after mile after mile of dense forest, where you can't see anything but trees. Most Interstates avoid towns, so you don't see towns. Much of the Gulf and Atlantic Coast is flat, so you get no perspective...just a wall of trees going on forever. I find this the LEAST enjoyable sort of Interstate.

To each his own, I guess.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:26 AM

2,818 posts, read 4,022,462 times
I've heard a stretch of I-80 around 40 odd miles west of Salt Lake City,Utah going towards Wendover on the NV/UT can get pretty boring, something like 30miles of straight road.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:02 AM

9,173 posts, read 10,853,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
I've heard a stretch of I-80 around 40 odd miles west of Salt Lake City,Utah going towards Wendover on the NV/UT can get pretty boring, something like 30miles of straight road.
That one is pretty bad ... unless there is snow coming down which can make it one of the more interesting drives. (g)

Old 08-27-2009, 10:13 AM

8,972 posts, read 10,335,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
That's the Great Salt Lake Desert....a totally flat area running from west of Salt Lake City to the Nevada border @ Wendover. This desert is almost totally flat, sits about three feet above the level of the Great Salt Lake itself, and until recent centuries, was a part of the lake. It's almost devoid of life, highly saline, and its western end (a few inches lower) is the Bonneville Salt Flats...an actual plain made up of crystalline salt (site of world-record land speeds).

This desert is frequently the site of bizarre mirages, due to its extreme flatness, in which a hot, waist-deep layer of air on the ground reflects the sky, giving the appearance of a vast lake. The distant mountains appear to 'float' above the (non-existent) layer of 'water'....and have upside-down 'mirror images' beneath them..

It's 'wierd', I agree...but I've never found it boring....something like crossing an ocean.
There are many of these salty 'playas' in the US West, but this is the largest one crossed by an interstate highway.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 AM

15,952 posts, read 11,869,173 times
Texas from El Paso to Dallas I-10 & I-20

Nothing and plenty of it

Last edited by Boompa; 08-27-2009 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 AM

3,541 posts, read 2,652,137 times
Default Lonely Roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I happen to LIKE US 50....I realize it isn't everyone's cup of tea)...but it's not an Interstate..it's just a regular Federal Highway.

Having spent my life near the Pacific Coast, I actually enjoy desolate, remote Western Interstates....can't think of one I'd dread to go on..
Exactly my sentiments also.The "call of the open road" still rings loudly.Remote secondary highways with one or at most two lanes in each direction are the ones most prefered.As for the rep of hwy 50 being lonely,there is another stretch,also in Nevada,that makes 50 seem crowded.To really get lonely,drive hwy 93 from Twin Falls,Idaho,to Las Vegas.More than 500 miles,with the only town of any size being Ely,population 4000.Did this trip some years ago,and would like to do it again,this time in the other direction.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:03 AM

15,952 posts, read 11,869,173 times
I-5 from Bakersfield to I 570 is almost as bad as I-10 & I 20 in Texas

only the stink from the stock yardss breaks the monotony

Old 08-27-2009, 11:30 AM

9,173 posts, read 10,853,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It's 'wierd', I agree...but I've never found it boring....something like crossing an ocean.
There are many of these salty 'playas' in the US West, but this is the largest one crossed by an interstate highway.
I cannot remember the road number but Reno-Gerlach-California border through the Black Rock Desert is another great one.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:07 PM

3,541 posts, read 2,652,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I-5 from Bakersfield to I 570 is almost as bad as I-10 & I 20 in Texas

only the stink from the stock yardss breaks the monotony
If you should happen to take 99 as an alternate to I-5 the bouquet(?) is much more robust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel