U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:20 PM

8,972 posts, read 10,595,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I cannot remember the road number but Reno-Gerlach-California border through the Black Rock Desert is another great one.
True...but FAR from the Interstate. I went from Fallon to Gerlach to Alturas (CA) a few years ago....seems like I saw about 5 'big rigs' hauling gypsum drywall out of the plant @ Empire (nr. Gerlach) toward Oregon....and maybe 4 pickup trucks...and that's all. And Every single driver WAVED !..

The Black Rock Desert is similar to Bonneville, just a little less salty. I seem to recall a few 'land-speed' records being set there, too. in years when Bonneville was too wet and 'mushy' for speed trials. Same sort of mirages, same sort of 'optical illusions' as you'd see @ Bonneville. GREAT, wide-open, uninabited 'space'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 04:28 PM

8,972 posts, read 10,595,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Exactly my sentiments also.The "call of the open road" still rings loudly.Remote secondary highways with one or at most two lanes in each direction are the ones most prefered.As for the rep of hwy 50 being lonely,there is another stretch,also in Nevada,that makes 50 seem crowded.To really get lonely,drive hwy 93 from Twin Falls,Idaho,to Las Vegas.More than 500 miles,with the only town of any size being Ely,population 4000.Did this trip some years ago,and would like to do it again,this time in the other direction.
93 is pretty 'lonely', I agree....I've done all but the northernmost few miles. Ely @ vicinity are not only remote, it's BRUTALLY cold there in the winter...more so than most of the Great Basin.

Probably my all-time favorite Federal Highway is US 395, from its beginning on I-15 nr. Victorville, CA, to its end @ the Canadian border. Bishop, Reno, Lakeview, Pasco, Spokane, etc. The continuous view of the eastern Sierra Nevada is particularly stunning....and almost ALL of the route runs through empty 'space', with plenty of 'long-distance' views. My kind of road.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:29 PM

306 posts, read 380,004 times
I-95 between Jacksonville and Palm Beach. It just doesn't get any more boring than that.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:55 PM

394 posts, read 655,637 times
I-90 from moses lake, wa. to the western border of spokane county. i'd tell ya more about it, but i think i'm ready for a nap now.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:08 PM

394 posts, read 655,637 times
come to think of it i-40 around the tex/n.m. border is pretty painful. i-5 between l.a. and sacramento is excruciating. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 08-27-2009, 06:53 PM

898 posts, read 858,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
I-90 from moses lake, wa. to the western border of spokane county. i'd tell ya more about it, but i think i'm ready for a nap now.

Agreed. Route 395 from Tri-Cities to the Spokane area is dull, too.

Also, I-90 from Albany to Buffalo NY is pretty yawn inspiring -
I-95 from Bangor ME to Houlton ME

Old 08-27-2009, 07:02 PM

3,791 posts, read 5,009,955 times
To be honest, most interstates are very boring and hard to drive for long stretches. Now I know why some truckers take drugs to stay awake.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:30 PM

2,212 posts, read 3,117,633 times
Oh boy. Just thinking of these makes me want to cry! I have the fortune (or maybe misfortune when it comes to road trips) of living out west, so I am well familiar with long stretches of NOTHING.

Here's my list:
I-10 West from Phoenix to Los Angeles
I-10 East from Phoenix all the way across Texas (the only interesting thing on that road are the fun cities of San Antonio and Houston. By the time I got through Texas, I was willing to sell that whole state for a quarter!)
I-15 South from St George, Utah to Los Angeles
I-40 from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Flagstaff, Arizona

Old 08-27-2009, 07:58 PM

3,791 posts, read 5,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Oh boy. Just thinking of these makes me want to cry! I have the fortune (or maybe misfortune when it comes to road trips) of living out west, so I am well familiar with long stretches of NOTHING.

Here's my list:
I-10 West from Phoenix to Los Angeles
I-10 East from Phoenix all the way across Texas (the only interesting thing on that road are the fun cities of San Antonio and Houston. By the time I got through Texas, I was willing to sell that whole state for a quarter!)
I-15 South from St George, Utah to Los Angeles
I-40 from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Flagstaff, Arizona
I get to take that stretch of I-40 coming up next Spring, heading to the Grand Canyon.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,967,602 times
I have only been in the east, so from what I've seen...

New York State Thruway from Utica to Buffalo. Not really much out there. Pretty flat, goes around the cities and towns, quite boring and forgetable.

I-95 from Ormond Beach FL to near Savannah GA, minus the stretch in Jacksonville. Lots of trees, lots of flat ground. Most of GA it avoids towns (lots of forest) and smells awful. Not many of those "highway towns" you see in the Carolinas or Virginia. Though not including those "highway towns", it'd be boring all the way to Petersburg VA.

I-684 in New York: long, straight, fast. Doesn't go near any towns. Aside from a lake or two and the Golden's Bridge train station there's nothing interesting to look at.

Maine Turnpike between York and Saco: long, fast, relatively straight, nothing but trees. Some small hills, but nothing significant.

New Jersey Turnpike between the Delaware Memorial Bridge and Exit 3: long, very fast, quite straight and flat, lots of trees and fields. No towns, only one exit for nearly 30 miles between the toll plaza and the Camden area. Way different than up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel