Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:48 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times

Advertisements

We want to fly to Copenhagen from Miami with one connecting flight in Paris. We will have an almost 9 month old with us.

Did you buy a seat just for your infant? If so, did you use a carseat or convertible seat? We have both but we don't have a stroller for any of the two.

Was it worth the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 04:02 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisanmos View Post
We want to fly to Copenhagen from Miami with one connecting flight in Paris. We will have an almost 9 month old with us.

Did you buy a seat just for your infant? If so, did you use a carseat or convertible seat? We have both but we don't have a stroller for any of the two.

Was it worth the money?
Whenever we travel, whether domestically or internationally, we always buy a seat for the baby (either when my oldest was younger or now with my 18 month old). When they were babies, we brought along our convertible seat with the base (since we needed it for the car ride after we landed) and when they got older, it was the carseat. For me, besides the issue of safety, it was a matter of comfort. I've seen so many parents get juice dumped on them because they're trying to hold onto the baby and feed them or themselves in a very small space, or worse, the baby's diaper leaked on their pants! Plus, a carseat allows them to sleep which is priceless.

On Southwest, we got discounted fares for our baby to have her own seat. On British Airways, it was the same. I would pay full price but it's nice to know that some airlines want to encourage you to adhere to their safety guidelines.

You need to get a stroller before you leave. You can buy a cheaper one, but it will make your life so much easier as you navigate through the airport. Spend a little extra to buy a more solid stroller and you will be able to hang some bags off the handles. You can take your stroller right up to the gate and they will bring it down to the plane from the jetway and bring it back up when you land.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
When they were babies, we brought along our convertible seat with the base (since we needed it for the car ride after we landed) and when they got older, it was the carseat.
Our convertible seat does not have a base so hopefully that minimizes the bulkiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
You need to get a stroller before you leave. You can buy a cheaper one, but it will make your life so much easier as you navigate through the airport. Spend a little extra to buy a more solid stroller and you will be able to hang some bags off the handles. You can take your stroller right up to the gate and they will bring it down to the plane from the jetway and bring it back up when you land.
We do have a lightweight stroller but I was referring to a stroller to lug around the convertible seat. Maybe we can place the carseat on the stroller and roll it around that way. I have a carrier so she won't have to be in the stroller.

You did bring up some excellent points about the parent's comfort. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 PM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
I dont know, you pay for a seat for an infant and end up holding them in your lap through most of the flight, Id do the numbers.
And babies cant chew gum or peanuts (for higher elevations when your ears start to pop) they are a bit painful for a baby (betcha a lot of people didnt know that?) so...Id say no, Id keep the baby in my lap. And hopefully make him stay awake as long as possible before the flight so they can sleep through most of it.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I dont know, you pay for a seat for an infant and end up holding them in your lap through most of the flight, Id do the numbers.
And babies cant chew gum or peanuts (for higher elevations when your ears start to pop) they are a bit painful for a baby (betcha a lot of people didnt know that?) so...Id say no, Id keep the baby in my lap. And hopefully make him stay awake as long as possible before the flight so they can sleep through most of it.
I know what you are saying. My LO can stay for about 10 minutes in her car seat so I don't how I am going to get her to stay in the seat for most of the flight.

I told my husband about the ears but he said that she can nurse and that should do the trick.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:39 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
I'm going to answer your question with another question.

Would you allow your baby to ride in a car at 65 MPH without a carseat?

Did you answer NO, I cherish my babies life too much to do that?

Then why would you even consider allowing her to ride at 600 MPH without a seat?

Last edited by South Range Family; 09-10-2009 at 07:06 AM..

Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I'm going to answer your question with another question.

Would you allow your baby to ride in a car at 65 MPH without a carseat?

Did you answer NO, I cherish my babies life too much to do that?

Then why would you even consider allowing her to ride at 600 MPH without a seat?
I read about the decision that allowed parents to carry babies on their laps, mainly, because less families would fly since they couldn't afford to buy a seat for the baby.

Yes, I think we are bent on buying her seat but from our experience she hates sitting in her carseat and I usually pull over if it gets really bad. Since the flight is during her bedtime we hope she will stay in there most of the way without noticing.

A little side note: I REALLY don't want to take her on this trip. But I don't want to regret later that I didn't let her grandparents see her because I was too afraid to mess up her schedule or too afraid to have a baby cry on the airplane.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
We flew to Asia when our son was about 18 months and got him his own seat. While he was a little older than what you're asking about, it was definitely worth it. We've flown domestically (from Colorado to New York,Colorado to Chicago) when he was 4 months old and did not get his own seat, but long-haul flights are an entirely different matter.

On our Asia trip, he would only sleep if one of us held him (better on the way back), but all the other times, it was great to have him in his own seat. He could color, play, or watch the TV in his own seat. It was especially helpful to have separate seats during meal times since the space is so cramped anyway with the tray table down.

Also note that many/most overseas flights have bulkhead seats with bassinets for children < 2 (which are even cheaper than a child seat -- but they are first-come-first-serve, at least on BA). Might be something you can look into (downside is that even if your child is calm, there might be other screaming babies in the vicinity).

Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
You give the baby a bottle as the plane takes off and they will generally have few problems with the ear pressure. Then repeat on teh way down.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You give the baby a bottle as the plane takes off and they will generally have few problems with the ear pressure. Then repeat on teh way down.
Thanks. We bought the extra seat and we do intend on using it for take-off and landing. However, she is a nursing baby so I am going to see if I can get her used to sucking on something else. She has not taken a pacifier yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel