Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 09:37 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,008 times

Advertisements

Who do you think is the best auto club, Allstate or AAA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 11:13 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
For me, I don't feel I need an auto club... I can read a map (and can use Mapquest, I keep our cars well-maintained so the likelihood of a breakdown is slim. Both of us can change tires, or I'd call out one of several local road service places.

My dislike of AAA is that they lobby for legislation that, despite the feel-good effect for their car-driving members, actually made our roadways MORE dangerous. For example, truck lane restrictions and split speed limits...

Old 09-15-2009, 11:37 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,008 times
Thanks for the heads up about AAA. I've been a member of Allstate's Auto Club and was just considering another alternative. After reading through the literature I decided to stay with Allstate. I do all my own mechanical work but the wife drives a distance to work and I'm not home all week.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,303 times
Default Allstate

If you do go the Allstate route, be prepared to have a major hassle if you want to cancel your membership. To join, you have to pay, upfront for a year. That is not a problem. To cancel and get a refund for the remaining time is a major headache.You will be told that you can cancel, but cannot get a refund until the end of your membership cycle. If you call at the end of your cycle, you will find that they will not give a refund, because your membership was good for the entire year. All of these calls are handled overseas. Apparently, there is no script for giving a cancellation refund. If you insist on speaking to someone in the states, you are given the roadside assistance number to call. Most of the people there will try to help you, but this is way out of their field. I would steer clear of Allstate.

In the past, I have had both Allstate and AAA Auto Clubs. To be quite honest, I never used either for anything. Maybe your best bet is to save the money and use neither.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:41 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
I love AAA. I have occasionally used them for roadside assistance and it's almost always been very quick and never was there a hassle. I enjoy discounts from time to time by showing my card. When I travel it's nice to know I can just pop into any AAA branch and pick up maps and tourbooks that are current and new, as well as have questions answered. There have also been several times where booking hotel or other travel arrangements through AAA worked out to be the least expensive. AAA is well worth the money, IMHO. I don't see how Allstate would be any better.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:43 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
AllState was always a hassle. Switched to AAA many years ago, no hassles, many benefits, the travel savings alone pay for the annual fee, quick to respond if needed, worth having, good maps, great assistance. Hey what else can I say, they're good.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I have my roadside assistance rider added on to my liability insurance, which I think currently costs about $10 a year. When I need assistance, I call whomever I want, pay the bill, and submit the receipt to my insurance agent. He cuts a check right on the spot, while I wait. There don't seem to be any restrictions, he pays every time without any questions. It's not treated as an insurance claim, so has no effect on my premiums. I once had a 30-mile tow after midnight when the timing belt broke. No problem. They don't offer any map or travel services, but they give me free Rand McNally road atlas whenever I want one.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:32 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have my roadside assistance rider added on to my liability insurance, which I think currently costs about $10 a year. When I need assistance, I call whomever I want, pay the bill, and submit the receipt to my insurance agent. He cuts a check right on the spot, while I wait. There don't seem to be any restrictions, he pays every time without any questions. It's not treated as an insurance claim, so has no effect on my premiums. I once had a 30-mile tow after midnight when the timing belt broke. No problem. They don't offer any map or travel services, but they give me free Rand McNally road atlas whenever I want one.
For straight-up towing benefits jtur's way here is, AFIK, the best deal you are going to get.

I have and like AAA, but use the map and other services. They have good deals on luggage, an excellent presentaton by a travel "pack your bags" expert (more to it than you might think) and other stuff.

I have to agree with Crew Chief that they frequently lobby for BS "feel good" legislation that in fact does more harm than good.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:09 AM

87 posts, read 388,219 times
Had AAA earlier, but now i have the amex gold card and it provides assistance just as well, there is no real need for AAA or allstate, also found amex customer service is much better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel