Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I find that when I travel alone, a lot of my eating is determined by circumstances. Part of exploring/discovering a place is not passing up eateries you may run across, even if you've had lunch or dinner already. When alone, there is nothing to stop these experiences, but with others there is often a compromise or some sort of interference which makes you miss out on the good stuff..
Agree with you completely.

When I travel with my wife or father, we always have to stop for breakfast. I don't eat breakfast nor do I want to. Then, they want to snack the rest of the day when I want to eat a good meal.

As for the business meals, I put my foot down and said enough was enough. In my days auditing, everyday either had to be a "happy hour" or the Olive Garden - even in cities like Chicago where there were some great options. After about six months, I would have them drop me off at the hotel and I would walk to one of the better options. I would rather walk three miles to a quality place than to eat the lousy "unlimited soup, salad, and breadsticks special." If I am traveling 200+ nights a year, I am goiung to decide what and where I want to eat.

Every trip for me starts with a listing of the best (not necessarily white tablecloth) restaurants. However, a lot of the restaurants that I have "discovered" on my own have been better than some of the ones heavily promoted on places like Chowhound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 03:00 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
I used to never travel alone. This year I have traveled much of the year alone. I went to Hawaii alone- not many people do that one. I loved it. Experienced the isle the way I wanted on my time. I also drove the Alcan from WA to Alaska alone (ok my dog was with me). It was great to just go and see on my own deciding when to stop and time. I did 10 states and few territories this year maninly alone.

I was also will state what someone else said though. Pictures are only so much and not the true explanation of what you discovered saw on your own.Others you share it with don't get the experience. When an amazing moment in time - like when the Griz was catching the salmon 15 ft away from me or standing in the middle of road. No one to say "Wasn't that incredible!?" It is times like that you wish you had someone else to see what you just did.

With that all said I really really really enjoy traveling alone with my dog!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:51 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I don't know that I'd enjoy the entire trip alone..but getting to and from where ever I'm going??? I love to do that on my own.
I've done the add an extra day before and after and that seems to work best for me.

Like others said...it's nice to be able to stop when you want to stop, eat when and where you want to but this way you also have someone to share it with.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
While I was growing up our family traveled quite a lot. We would often take a Saturday afternoon drive. We always stopped where my dad wanted to stop. I remember one of the first times I actualy went somewhere on my own, I stopped at all of the places my dad would never stop at. When driving more than 50 miles, I usually stop to gawk at something at least once an hour.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:53 PM

111 posts, read 435,488 times
I don't usually travel alone because I feel I'd get bored if I didn't have people I know with me. However, after arriving at our destination, we do usually try to get some days to go out and explore by ourselves so enjoy whatever local cuisine we want and do whatever else we want without having to wait on or listen to the other people in the group.

Another thing my friends and I have done about the dining situation is this. Say there's 3 of us going on vacation for a week. We'll take turns choosing where we eat for lunch and dinner. Breakfast is usually left out because breakfast is fairly similar no matter where you go. But with us taking turns picking where we eat, then it's no big deal if somebody wants Buffalo Wild Wings (which I can eat on a regular basis at home) because when it's my turn to pick, they've already agreed to go wherever I choose, whether it be a local favorite or a chain restaurant.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:47 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
I love traveling alone, it gives me a real sense of freedom.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,353 times
I love taking driving vacations alone. I'm from Maryland and took a 2 week vacation to New Orleans once and a 3 week vacation to Colorado. Those were just the end destinations. Most of the time I discovered things driving to or from so I didn't spend a majority of the time in either place.

It's hard to find someone else who can take a couple weeks vacation and a lot of people want the "just get there and relax" vacations. I like visiting national parks and such and never make plans or schedules ahead of time.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Persoanlly; I find that traveling with my wife or friends much more fun;just as I don't like to dine alone. It's mothing to do with fear has i taveled alone on business many times. I guess it really depends on if your a loner type really.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:20 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
well, if you have the right company i'm sure that is preferred however unless one is married or has a SO it is hard to find a friend who has the same travel plans you have or the resources. And I think this is much harder for guys because I know girls frequently travel with each other in groups and plan as a group but guys are more individualistic.

2 guy friends going on vacation together, never heard of it unless they were a gay couple, but girlfriends going on vacations or cruises, hear about it all the time.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:09 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I prefer to travel with someone who has similar interests, but I don't mind traveling along either. If you are the friendly type and make sure to scope out some of the local hangouts, you will meet some friendly faces for sure.

When I have traveled with someone, we always split up at some point and do something alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel