Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 01:35 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Here's our pick of important American landmarks that every kid should visit. Our choices might surprise you.

15 Places Every Kid Should See - Budget Travel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 03:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Some good selections, but I'd choose Yellowstone over Disneyworld.
(Of course, if I were 6 years old, I might feel otherwise.)
Also, Mesa Verde, Colorado is an incredible place to visit, and is an intriguing way to recognize North America's first inhabitants.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:28 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Some good selections, but I'd choose Yellowstone over Disneyworld.
(Of course, if I were 6 years old, I might feel otherwise.)
Also, Mesa Verde, Colorado is an incredible place to visit, and is an intriguing way to recognize North America's first inhabitants.
I agree about Yellowstone. In my mind, it should take precedence over Disney World, though I have yet to visit the latter. Of course, if you add Yellowstone to the list, Yosemite is not far behind. Then there's Zion... and Death Valley... and Bryce Canyon... and Glacier... Grand Teton, and so on.

Most national parks offer features and scenery that are unique, hence the reason they were made national parks in the first place. As for places for kids to see, the list was good in the sense that it listed many places of historical significance. I have only visited a few of the places that were listed, but would like to see most (if not all) of the rest of them. I was surprised that there weren't more places listed in Washington D.C., such as the Smithsonian Museum. I also think the various war memorials and Arlington Cemetery would illustrate the hard fought battles that have faced our nation, and would help kids to understand and respect those that have fought and died for our nation.

Edit: How could I forget? Mount Rushmore!

I think some other places that would be interesting for kids would be the Kennedy Space Center, and museums dedicated to the industries that helped build our nation (farming, steel, railroads, and automobiles, for example). I'm not sure exactly which museums they would be, though, so it's hard to know which ones to recommend.

I guess all in all, there are way more than 15 places I think kids should see. Some other examples of things kids should see are the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, the Great Lakes, the Continental Divide, the Rio Grande, the Mississippi River, the Missouri River, the Colorado River, the Rocky Mountains, and so many other wonderful geographic features of our nation.

Last edited by jdavid93225; 09-22-2009 at 08:43 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Washington D.C. (monuments / museums / US Mint / FBI / White house / Arlington Cemetery / 4th of July extravaganza / Memorial & Veterans Day events... btw; DC is a great biking destination when kids are older and comfortable in traffic) and Gettysburg were some favorites for my kids (who had also seen most of the National Parks), They were impressed with Mt Rushmore 'under lights', and Statue of Liberty.

Membership to International science museums was a plus for rainy days when traveling. We definately manage the "budget" mode of travel. Since we homeschooled, the kids ran the budget and itinerary. We did a 12 wk 'field trip' to the east coast for under $2000, only stayed in 2 motels. We were flying with free mileage & got 'bumped' on 3 flights, resulting in $1500 in travel credits EACH!, we were only delayed 2 hrs, but it resulting in getting a great deal on a minivan that we were able to sleep in during the 'cool' and rainy fall nights.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-22-2009 at 10:16 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 10:14 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Well, I think every kid should experience Cedar Point Amusement park at least once. That place is incredible.

I agree with Niagara Falls, I love going there.

Sears Tower (or whatever it is called now) is a great choice as well

Old 09-22-2009, 11:05 PM

Hey all!
Let's not forget about the world's largest ball of twine! LOL.

Biggest ball of twine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
and the great 'roadside' sculptures of the prairie
EnchantedHighway.net -- Enchanted Highway in Regent, North Dakota
Great American Road Trip: North Dakota. Dodging pheasants in the midst of huge sculptures | Gadling.com
The official website for Carhenge

Old 09-23-2009, 02:13 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Personally, I would take Yosemite or Yellowstone over Niagara Falls or The Alamo. The problem with The Alamo, Niagara Falls, and Mt. Rushmore is that there is relatively little to experience compared with the efforts of getting to them.

I would take Canyonlands NP in Utah over the Grand Canyon. The views are easily as stunning, the crowds much smaller, and most of the trails are less difficult.

As I see more of this country, I think that it is important to get your children to the LOCAL historical sites and all the various attractions within a tank of gas.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I would take Yosemite or Yellowstone over Niagara Falls or The Alamo. The problem with The Alamo, Niagara Falls, and Mt. Rushmore is that there is relatively little to experience compared with the efforts of getting to them.
This is a great point when talking about "must see" places. I haven't been to the Alamo, and it's been at least 35 years since I have been to Niagara Falls, so the one of these that's left, that I have been to recently, is Mount Rushmore.

The good thing about Mt. Rushmore is that there is a whole lot more to see in the area, so the trip won't seem like a waste. Devil's Tower National Monument, Wall Drug, Badlands National Park, Wind Cave National Park, Jewel Cave National Monument, the 1880s Train, the Crazy Horse Monument, the Mickelson Trail, and the historic towns of Lead, Deadwood, and Sturgis are all nearby.

Even though most of what Mt. Rushmore has to offer can be seen in about half a day, there is plenty more to see and do in the area. I would not have any trouble finding enough to see and do to fill up a two week vacation in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel