U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 06:52 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,671,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
I am posting this in "other topics" because not everyone who will be traveling may read the "travel Forum" because they may just be going to visit friends or relatives.

As we get closer to the travel season, I thought I would share a tip you might not be aware of.

If you are going to be traveling out of your area and going to be using Credit Cards,call the CC companies and let them know.
Most CC companies have departments that look for unusual charges.
For example you live in Fla and all of a sudden there are charges in Calif. The company, for your protection, may put a temporary "hold" on your account until they can verify that you are the one using the card.

Happy and safe travels everyone

Karla
LOL! You are soooo right. Happened to us a few years ago. I had done usual business here at home during that day and used my credit card in Orlando. We left home and drove on into the night, went to fill up the motorhome in GA and, lo and behold, it wouldn't go through! I called the CC customer svc at midnight and they told me they couldn't do anything, that I'd have to call the Fraud Unit the next morning at 9 a.m.! Fortunately I did have another Visa I could use, but it really, truly more than ticked me off. I called back the next morning and insisted upon a supervisor. Well, no need to report to the Fraud Unit after all...and they got it straightened out. However, I had to clarify that I was traveling, that we would be gone for a couple of months...no, I don't know exactly what cities I'll be in....but I expect to use my card between here and Oregon, take your pick.

I know I got irritated with them and finally asked if I had to call and advise them every time I went on vacation. The answer was, "yes, that would be a good idea." So I have since then and haven't had a problem...well, except at Christmastime when I keep that CC hot for a couple of days and I've had calls from them to verify my purchases.

So glad they watch over me so carefully!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 08:50 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,341,703 times
At one time, I was driving long haul (48 states and Canada) and my wife was teaching in Germany. Drove our credit card companies NUTS!

Old 05-06-2007, 11:03 PM

260 posts, read 1,546,361 times
A little off-topic, but if you are planning on traveling, it makes sense to do all of your big travel purchases (air fare, rental cars, hotels) on the best card you have (e.g. gold or platinum cards if you have them) since they tend to have the best consumer protections (free insurance and all that).

More on topic, I never had trouble using my cards overseas and in many countries I got better rates on my purchases than if I had exchanged money locally. I even used my ATM card overseas and got excellent rates there too.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:45 AM

217 posts, read 776,188 times
Good advice. This used to happen to my parents every time we'd go on vaca to SC. On the way back we'd always stop at Pigeon Forge. Well, my dad wouldn't use his cards for anything, and then we'd be in Pigeon Forge and both he and my mom would be in different stores both using cards with his name on them and they'd have to call the CC company from the store, etc. explain what was happening. I never understood why they didn't just call ahead of time and say hey, we're going to stop here on this day and spend a crap ton of money, probably be in different stores at the same time, so don't worry about charges in P.F. on this day (unless it just didn't occur to them they could).

Old 05-13-2007, 08:26 AM

1,025 posts, read 3,764,629 times
Quote:
I am posting this in "other topics" because not everyone who will be traveling may read the "travel Forum" because they may just be going to visit friends or relatives.
Great topic, Karla!

And now that it has dropped down to page 4 of Other Topics, I'm moving it to "Travel" -- so this good information won't get buried!

Old 05-13-2007, 07:47 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,443,582 times
It's funny that you mention this, because I've used my cards all over the western U.S., and from one city to the next, day after day, and I've never called them to let them know I'd be doing so. I've never had a transaction denied because of it. Maybe this is because I've done so all along, though I can't say for sure. In a week's time, I've charged in CA, AZ, UT, CO, WY, MT, SD and NE. Again, as stated above, I've never had a transaction denied because of it. Some of these transactions were at lodging establishments, some at restaurants, some at gas stations, and some at retail stores. Maybe they saw a pattern that was consistent with my travel, and could justify the charges, I just don't know.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,957,857 times
jdavid93225
That is it exactly, you have an established pattern with them

karla

Old 05-15-2007, 07:37 PM

2,369 posts, read 7,757,577 times
I also have some Credit or ATM debit card rules of the road. When I use my credit or debit card it's usually at locations that allow me to handle the card to process the payment at the checkout stand. I don't want to hand over my card to people that work at the store or gas station.

I never use my card at a location like a restaurant where I have to let the card out of my hands and view, and allow the waiter to walk away with my card to process the payment. I pay cash at all restaurants while traveling for this reason. I get cash from ATMs for this purpose.

I pay hotels and rental cars with credit card, but they must handle the card processing right in front of me at the main counter so the card is never out of my sight.

If a gas station does not have electronic pay at the pump, I'll pay in cash or go somewhere else. I never hand over a card to any gas station attendant to process a payment. Again, I'll use cash before handing over my card to a stranger, especially when not around home.

Plastic is very useful for travel, just keep it in your view and control at all times. The fewer people that get their mitts on your card, the better.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,957,857 times
recycled
great tips thanks for posting them

karla

Old 05-16-2007, 03:32 AM

4 posts, read 10,866 times
Quote:

As we get closer to the travel season, I thought I would share a tip you might not be aware of.

If you are going to be traveling out of your area and going to be using Credit Cards,call the CC companies and let them know.
Most CC companies have departments that look for unusual charges.
For example you live in Fla and all of a sudden there are charges in Calif. The company, for your protection, may put a temporary "hold" on your account until they can verify that you are the one using the card.

Happy and safe travels everyone

Karla
thanks,for tips mmm .. and how about Visa and Master card ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or