U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,544,510 times

Advertisements

I'm booking my holiday flights. There is a flight on Christmas day that has a connect in Midway. I've always heard bad things about air travel in Chicago so I always made an effort to avoid that city if I could. If I want to avoid Midway, I get a flight on the evening of the 26th, which isn't bad. I'm just thinking about risking going through Chicago to get where I am going on Christmas day. Is it worth the risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 09:30 AM

32,140 posts, read 33,051,397 times
Anywhere you fly that is subject to snowstorms can cause missed/delayed/canceled flights in the winter.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:31 AM

6,166 posts, read 6,334,585 times
I have never flown thru Midway so I can not say for sure how bad it would be. However I have flown many times on Christmas day. I have always found the passenger loads to be light.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:30 AM

14,276 posts, read 24,033,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I'm booking my holiday flights. There is a flight on Christmas day that has a connect in Midway. I've always heard bad things about air travel in Chicago so I always made an effort to avoid that city if I could. If I want to avoid Midway, I get a flight on the evening of the 26th, which isn't bad. I'm just thinking about risking going through Chicago to get where I am going on Christmas day. Is it worth the risk?
Nearly every hub in the Midwest can be closed down on Christmas if there is a sufficiently large snowstorm. That is always a risk that you take on ANY winter travel.

As for Midway, generally there are fewer delays and cancellations than at Chicago-O'Hare. Since there are fewer planes on Christmas Day (a lot fewer), you are less likely to face a delay.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:47 PM

8,293 posts, read 11,150,024 times
Midway is great,it's O'Hare you want to avoid and as the previous poster said,the holidays themselves are light travel days,it's the days immediately before and after that get grotesque. Have a great trip.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:40 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,033,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Midway is great,it's O'Hare you want to avoid and as the previous poster said,the holidays themselves are light travel days,it's the days immediately before and after that get grotesque. Have a great trip.
Unlike Thanksgiving where travel is concentrated over four days, the Christmas traffic seems to be more spread out over a longer period. I have been surprised that some of the days around the Christmas holiday are lightly traveled.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:06 PM

32,140 posts, read 33,051,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Unlike Thanksgiving where travel is concentrated over four days, the Christmas traffic seems to be more spread out over a longer period. I have been surprised that some of the days around the Christmas holiday are lightly traveled.
In fact if you travel on Christmas Day itself sometimes you can get a lower fare (in contrast to Christmas eve or the day after X'mas) as there are less people traveling that day.
Although I don't know Midway in particular, I think traveling via a small airport, there would be less delays as there are less planes flying in & out. On the other hand, if there are any technical difficulties (snowstorms, mechanic problems with the plane while still on the ground, etc.), you have less alternative back-up options available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or