U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:25 AM

104 posts, read 302,810 times

Advertisements

So far my favorites are:

Greece-wonderful weather, food and locals
Romania-fabulous hiking, great castles and relaxing pace
Slovakia-fabulous hiking and beautiful landscapes
Czech Republic-gorgeous cities, yummy beer and food
Croatia-wonderful mix of interesting cities and beautiful countryside
Spain-great food, architecture and people watching
Portugal-still affordable and very pleasant
Italy-amazing food and wine, hit and miss with friendly locals but absolutely worth the nail biting frustrations it can bring(traffic, crowds, prices)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 06:40 AM

312 posts, read 1,384,191 times
I LIVE IN CROATIA AND I MUST SAY : CROATIA IS BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY WITH NICE WEATHER AND MARRVELOUS BEACHES ! ! !
COME ON AND LOOK !

Old 03-31-2008, 08:39 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 848,159 times
About Russia: I can't wait to go back, but it's not with the relaxed, euphoric approach I have to other places I've been. I have a darker side that is sometimes intrigued by scary things like crime. It terrifies me, and yet I am somehow drawn to it (but only to hover on the periphery of it, not to be a victim). I was fortunate to have a local guide (a relative from another country who happens to speak Russian) so this helped me greatly in my travels in Moscow. Without that, I would have been very frightened to go out in the evening, in those massive underground crossing tunnels. Even in the daytime, it was pointed out to me that a group of young toughs was eyeing us. And while I consider myself very lucky to have stayed in a real apartment in one of those "box" communities on the outer lines of the metro, boy was that scary. Our host told us of murders and rapes in the building, adding that she never ever ventures out after dark. There must have been 15 locks on the door. And this was regarded as an "average" residence. So as I say, I'd love to go back, but not without a knowledgeable companion. There is just such a sense of "bigness" to the city, and there is such a convergence of cultures now -- lots of downtrodden, morose looking people around. I have to say, I felt a little safer in Kiev, and much safer in St. Petersburg. That may be entirely inaccurate, but it was just how I felt. The Baltic states, on the other hand, are a real blast -- lots of fun, and far safer, although there's no shortage of crime there either (much of it at the hands of Russians). The downside there is that they've become so Western that the Soviet grittiness is all but gone in the bigger cities. Good for them, but perhaps a little less interesting for the curious tourist.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,791 times
France is my favourite. Sicily (haven't been to mainland Italy) was nice, but too rough. The French riviera is pretty horrible, but la France profonde ..couldn't get better than that.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:58 PM

557 posts, read 2,323,396 times
Italy and Austria! So much history in Italy--beautiful countryside--plus La Scala, the best capuccinos, great pasta, great red wine, and wonderful people. Austria's beautiful--beautiful scenery (love those alps), great food and the very best desserts.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:41 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,027,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony from Europe View Post
I LIVE IN CROATIA AND I MUST SAY : CROATIA IS BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY WITH NICE WEATHER AND MARRVELOUS BEACHES ! ! !
COME ON AND LOOK !
Croatia is indeed the Pearl of the Adriatic ... I so desperately want to go back. Dubrovnik is one of the great cities of the world in terms of the Architecture .

Old 06-10-2009, 06:09 PM

48 posts, read 165,102 times
Switzerland by a country mile. I should know, I'm Swiss.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,422,694 times
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Poland! It's one of the most inexpensive countries with so many beautiful cities!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:15 AM

540 posts, read 692,240 times
Portugal is wonderful - so much to choose from in such a small area and the people were really wonderful. We got a rental car and drove from Lisbon through Evora, then up north, then over to Oporto and down the coast with occasional side trips everywhere we could. I could go on and on! Lots of places that didn't speak English (which I wouldn't expect because we tried all kinds of small places to eat and stay!) but with a little help from a phrase book and a language CD before we left... we did great! We did lots of research beforehand... and what a treasured time!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,469 times
italy and england! italy is beautiful and stunning in sights. england is a place where i can settle down...i love the life n atmosphere in london.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or