U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 PM

218 posts, read 428,127 times

Advertisements

What kind of costume would you wear to Salem,Ma? There are 4 of us going just to let ya'll know we are females and all over 50 (2 over 75) we kind of wnat to dress in same idea. But we can't think of anything. I think that we think to much. Any ideas would be great and if you guys have any pictures of your costumes that would be greater. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 04:02 AM

69 posts, read 271,260 times
Everything and anything goes in Salem Halloween night.
You will see lots of witches, aliens, dracula, frankenstein, bride of frankenstein costumes
You will see cowboys, cowgirls, french maids, clowns
Lots of people dressed up in sheets with blood on face and clothes, toga costumes, king and queen costumes. People dressed up as chickens, bottles of milk, coca cola cans. its amazing what people come up with. The fun part is seeing all the creative costumes people show up in.
Word to the wise though, it is very crowded and some streets are almost impossible to get through due to the crowds, wear something simple, masks and wigs anything more complicated can make it hard to
get around, it is also usually cold on that night so wear something warm, long black coats or capes and comfortable shoes cause you will be walking around alot. I have seen very skimpy costumes on some but mostly young people, don't know how they do it but the need to be half undressed is more important then being warm.
Go early and leave early, late at night with the drinking and rowdiness can lead to some problems, there is a huge police presence that night but they cannot patrol everywhere. In the past there have been problems and the riot police have come out. Last year they came out in an attempt to move the crowds out early. By 10 or 10:30 they were marching on the streets telling people to move on. Most people are there for a good time, there are some people there who want to cause some trouble. If you get there earlier you will have a better chance to get into the haunted houses and attractions. Later at night the lines are huge and impossible to get in. If staying in Salem you will not have a parking issue, if driving in and you come in too late you will have problems parking.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:54 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,609,825 times
IMO Salem is kind of a tourist rip off

Old 10-10-2009, 07:20 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,464,145 times
I love Salem, and in Salem, a witch is a fitting costume.

Diane G

Old 10-10-2009, 10:25 PM

1,743 posts, read 4,008,272 times
Would be cool to go as the Sanderson sisters!

Old 10-12-2009, 04:29 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
IMO Salem is kind of a tourist rip off
Of course it is! So is Branson, Las Vegas, Orlando, New Orleans or any other major tourist destination. The point is to have fun and not be concerned that you are paying 3 times the amount that you would at home. You are going for the EXPERIENCE, not a great bargain.
We plan to go one year in October, but not necessarily on Halloween. A few less crowds to deal with but still plenty of activities.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 6,711 times
Salem in the off season is too crowded (I can't imagine what it turns into in the tourist season -- OMG!) no place to park on the streets (decrepit parking garages are available - if you get there early and are lucky) lots of unsavory types hanging around, rude, pushy drivers, unfriendly merchants (some, not all - but the majority are on a sliding scale between intolerant and hostile). The town is not well laid out in terms of attractions, just forget about driving around and looking at the sights, you'll be rear ended for sure. The traffic alone will have you popping Xanax by the hand fulls. Stay away from this place unless you are a young, highly aggressive, self centered, rude, service to self person. If you are, you'll fit right in. This is a toxic place with bad energy, always has been I suppose -- but it has increased by powers of 10. I will never go back, it's bad, bad, bad. The locals tell me that Halloween in Salem is nothing short of bedlam. Well, can't say you weren't warned. If you just have to go to this biggest of all tourist rip-offs, take a bus tour - that way you can have your pockets picked in comfort.

Last edited by Grgsct; 03-10-2010 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: Salem, MA. is a tourist nightmare!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,540,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grgsct View Post
Salem in the off season is too crowded (I can't imagine what it turns into in the tourist season -- OMG!) no place to park on the streets (decrepit parking garages are available - if you get there early and are lucky) lots of unsavory types hanging around, rude, pushy drivers, unfriendly merchants (some, not all - but the majority are on a sliding scale between intolerant and hostile). The town is not well laid out in terms of attractions, just forget about driving around and looking at the sights, you'll be rear ended for sure. The traffic alone will have you popping Xanax by the hand fulls. Stay away from this place unless you are a young, highly aggressive, self centered, rude, service to self person. If you are, you'll fit right in. This is a toxic place with bad energy, always has been I suppose -- but it has increased by powers of 10. I will never go back, it's bad, bad, bad. The locals tell me that Halloween in Salem is nothing short of bedlam. Well, can't say you weren't warned. If you just have to go to this biggest of all tourist rip-offs, take a bus tour - that way you can have your pockets picked in comfort.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:36 PM

218 posts, read 428,127 times
Default I will never do that again

Go to Salem for Halloween. We took a shuttle from our hotel and still had to walk just about a mile to get to town. We got there about 6pm. That was fine but all of the stores and restaurants started to close and when we asked why they said it wasn't worth putting up with the drunks and thieves. There was no place to use the restroom. oh yeah port-a-john. They were filled with people having sex, throwing up and other natsies. We did see a lot of good customes but I would have been satisfied just sitting in a chair on the corner watching the people. We left when the SWAT teams starting arriving. Salem was better a week before Halloween not on Halloween.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:40 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,540,966 times
I lived in Boston for 23 years, spent 6 months living in Swampscott, which is very close to Salem, and I never, EVER felt the urge to visit Salem on Halloween. it's like going to Times Sq. on News Year Eve. if you want to really experience Salem, do it before/after Halloween (the days leading up to Halloween can be just as fun but w/o the craziness, depending on what you're looking for). if you want to deal w/ the crazed crowds, lack of parking, drunks, massive security, and so on, go to Salem on Halloween. glad you got it out of your system at least, try visiting again in the off season when the tourists are fewer and saner (ignore the previous poster, hard to respect a random , fly-by-night noob that seemingly came on here just to rant needlessly). most of the museums and other attractions are opened through part/all of the year, though admittedly, it's far more awkward going to Salem dressed up as a witch in the middle of March
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or