Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:34 PM

454 posts, read 688,486 times

Advertisements

Traveling is great, but for some reason it always feels better before and after the trip, never during it

So far its been one hassle after the next. It started yesterday on the flight when I ended up having to check 2 bags cause one was overweight. Sorta my fault, but still it was $50. Then I ended up having to pay for internet service at 2 different airports because T-mobil pass didnt work at the other airport. So that was almost 20 bucks for a damn 2 hours of internet use. Then, I couldnt find a hotel, which is why I needed my internet connection in the first place. I ended up finding one, only to be waaay out no where near where I need to be although one of the bidding sites said it was the airport area. Well the little bubble extended way further and there isnt even a bus or train out here...just the hotel shuttle

So Im like, okay I'll need to rent a car atleast for today until I check out tomorrow. I take a taxi to the rental place, they want to do a credit check so I can use my debit card. I decline because I dont want to use my credit card (its reserved for something else, the rental wasnt on the plans) and dont want them running my credit. So they gave me a ride.

And now hotel wants extra $20 for micro-fridge, I cant buy my groceries, the on sight resturaunt seems pricey, AAARRRRGHHH! This is so aggravating. I didnt even want this damn 3.5 star hotel because of things like missing fridges and microwaves, but the website 'bumped me up'. So I had to throw my dinner out from last night because its no good. Oh wait, thats not all! The hotel is charging me $9.95 per day for in room internet connection. And I need to use my computer in here.

**** like this just makes me want to stay home and not travel at all unless Im driving. Good thing I found a place in another side of town tomorrow, this here blows.

Anyone feel the same, like sometimes traveling just too irritating when going to a place you never been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 04:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
You might at some point figure out how to plan ahead...

Old 10-21-2009, 05:49 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,915 times
I'm kind of thinking the same. Why didn't you book or at least get some idea of the hotels and charges etc before you went? I'm very frugal myself, sometimes to the point of waiting until like the day before, or booking a return once I am already there, but for hotels and car rentals etc..I do tons of research and use priceline a lot.

For future reference I've booked extended stays for as little as $32/day, but usually have to do it at least 2 days prior, not the day of unless I want to pay a little more. With car rentals, Alamo doesn't put a hold on any funds like others do, and I've had cars for as little as $12/day through hotwire or priceline. Sometimes booking a mid-size or standard car is cheaper for name your own price than compact or economy.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 PM

454 posts, read 688,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I'm kind of thinking the same. Why didn't you book or at least get some idea of the hotels and charges etc before you went.
Because like you I used priceline and hotwire plus hotels.com. This trip was a bit spontaneous, but Moderator cut: name calling I usually do plan ahead.

However, I have found very good deals on priceline many times the day of. I dont do all that much research on hotels as I usually bid, and am not really too picky. Internet, fridge/micro, and location are most important and I usually get what I want, when I want it, with no headache. Not in this city though. Everything was 120 bucks and up. I've gotten the Extended Stay many times, along with others that were 'fully loaded' the same day I purchased.

This city is a bit different. Hotels here are pricier than I imagined, although there are some sparse good deals. I found them, yes...but it just wasnt as quick as I expected.

Last edited by Marka; 10-22-2009 at 03:19 AM..

Old 10-22-2009, 05:50 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post

However, I have found very good deals on priceline many times the day of. I dont do all that much research on hotels as I usually bid, and am not really too picky. Internet, fridge/micro, and location are most important and I usually get what I want, when I want it, with no headache. Not in this city though. Everything was 120 bucks and up. I've gotten the Extended Stay many times, along with others that were 'fully loaded' the same day I purchased.

This city is a bit different. Hotels here are pricier than I imagined, although there are some sparse good deals. I found them, yes...but it just wasnt as quick as I expected.

I can understand your frustration, but unfortunately that can happen when you roll the dice. We've ended up with many a Day's Inn that didn't have any extra amenities.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Because like you I used priceline and hotwire plus hotels.com. This trip was a bit spontaneous, but Moderator cut: name calling I usually do plan ahead.
Just how spontaneous was this trip? Sites like priceline, hotwire and hotels.com can still be used well ahead of time so I'm not sure why you're using that as the reason why you didn't research and book in advance. If you decided that very same day to go on this trip, I can understand not having time to book anything in advance - but you have to understand that is the nature of travelling so last minute, you can't expect everything to always go smoothly.

Quote:
I usually get what I want, when I want it, with no headache.
Well, in your first post, you made it sound like this kind of thing was a regular problem. But if you usually get what you want, when you want it with no headache AND most of the problems you had this time could have been avoided if you'd planned and booked ahead, I'm not sure I would be complaining quite this much.

Quote:
Anyone feel the same, like sometimes traveling just too irritating when going to a place you never been.
No, we always research wherever we're going, pre-book and plan ahead so our trips are usually pretty hassle-free. I don't like flying but it's usually worth it.

Last edited by PA2UK; 10-22-2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: quote fix

Old 10-22-2009, 07:37 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,007 times
Quote:
No, but then again I'm a planner. I don't even like using Priceline that much because I know that I am picky and would rather know exactly where I'm staying and what I'll be getting before I book. I also find it fun to do research on a new place and plan everything out, which is not for everyone. If you don't like planning, you might want to consider a travel agent. Especially if you need something in particular (like internet or a mini-fridge), it's good to be absolutely certain, since that's not standard everywhere.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:01 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Well really bottom line is you have no one to blame but yourself.....waiting until the last minute is a crap shoot...sometimes the dice comes up in your favor and other times it doesn't

Old 10-22-2009, 09:20 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
I would say you brought this on yourself by not preparing carefully. You also have to be willing to hit some (or a lot) of bumps if you do things spontaneously.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You might at some point figure out how to plan ahead...
+1

with so much information and tools available on the net getting yourself into this sort of situation is totally unnecessary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel