U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 05:58 AM

729 posts, read 1,037,196 times

Advertisements

I always use a credit card for transactions like this. The rental company is secure in their payment and the credit card acts as a back up (or sometimes primary) insurance if the car is damaged. Even if your credit score is bad, you can still get a card with a $1,000 credit limit. It goes a long way to rebuilding your credit as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur777 View Post
The dates on this thread are from 2009-10. It is now 2013 (almost 2014). Does anyone know if Enterprise checks your credit to use as a criteria for renting or not renting. I am interested in renting a car in the Seattle area the first week of December. I am in a similar situation; credit at the moment shows a very low score, due to a recent divorce, but I have a debit card with the Visa logo from a well known bank, and if a rental company needs to hold funds for renting the car, then that is no problem either.

Does anyone have experience with Enterprise's rental policies recently, that I can learn from? Thanks ... and if anyone knows of rental companies in Seattle that DON'T rely on your credit score to determine if you are a worthy human being, then please share with me as well. I would be grateful. Thanks!
I've have positive experiences with Enterprise over the past 2 years with the Amelia Island and Jacksonville Lem Turner locations...until this weekend. As recently as last Sept rented from them to take my grandon to Disney using the debit with no complications. In fact, we only use debit cards now. Our car broke down suddenly and quickly requested a pickup from the Amelia Island so my husband could to work, and went in expecting the same as usual. Now they wanted in addition documents such as utility bills, pay stubs, phone bills...all of which I dont carry on me, and most of which is covered in my all-inclusive rent. They claimed this policy was in place since 2012, yet I pointed out I rented from them on three separate occasions in 2013 without having to produce such documents. I went home without a car, utterly humiated, my husband went to work in cab, and Enterprise has now lost a regular customer for our vacations.

I guess the the lesson to be learned is that each location (and each manager as I learned) has their own standards and some are more lenient (and kinder) than others so I was call ahead before each and every time you plan to rent because you never know when the rules will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel