Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Yes they do this if you rent in the same state you live but I think if you are picking up in a different state then you just have to show your round trip ticket. To echo everyone else, call the rental car location directly and get all the info up front. It's a shame that they do this to people IMO. They put a hold on your debit card anyway so they shouldn't be worried about the money bieng spent.
You are correct. I actually came across a rental car company one time said they do not even rent to locals. I can't remember what company. Also when we moved to FL from England we rented a car from the airport and though they did let us have a car, it took a lot of convincing on my part. They eventually realized I was leaving without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 08:12 PM

454 posts, read 688,776 times
So far I went to 3 rental car places: Airport Thrifty, Franchise Avis, and Franchise Hertz. All wanted a credit card or if you use debit card you need a credit check. If you are under 25 (like me) you have to go thru credit check. I declined both times.

But, around this exact same time last year I flew back home and only had a debit card, with no credit check and they only held the entire cost of the rental. I think its because I had a round trip ticket

I think its a dumb rule. if they are getting the money, what gives? The same with the stupid $25-50 a day for underage. Now it wouldnt be so bad if it was a mandatory insurance premium, but the bastards then want us to pay for insurance on top of the underage fee? What am I driving a freaking Phantom or a Focus?

Old 10-31-2009, 08:42 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
From the Alamo/National page..."Debit Cards: Debit/check cards are considered to be any non-credit card bearing the VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card logo. Any other non-credit card without the VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card logo is not accepted. Please review the following guidelines:

§ When renting in the U.S., with proof of a round trip travel ticket (airline, cruise ship or train) at time of rental.

§ For pick-ups in the United States, without proof of roundtrip ticket, debit or check cards are only accepted when returning the vehicle. A credit card in the name of the renter must be presented at the time of pick-up.

§ In Canada & Puerto Rico, a credit card in the name of the renter must be presented at the time of pickup. Debit/check cards are only accepted for payment at time of return"

https://www.alamo.com/

Old 10-31-2009, 10:40 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
What I dislike about the whole thing is that it's so hit or miss. Sometimes you find a location that won't hassle you, other times it's a pain in the tookas (did I spell that right?)

Old 10-31-2009, 11:08 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times
If credit score is a problem with Hertz, then purchase a pre-paid Visa card, deposit the total amount of the car rental, plus the security deposit amount (I believe Enterprise is only $100) and be on your way.

Hertz and Avis are nothing but headaches.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:55 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
If credit score is a problem with Hertz, then purchase a pre-paid Visa card, deposit the total amount of the car rental, plus the security deposit amount (I believe Enterprise is only $100) and be on your way.

Hertz and Avis are nothing but headaches.
Better to get a secured credit card........prepaid cards say "debit" on them, so you would run into the same problems as a debit card. Secured cards are actually credit cards.....some even offer insurance when renting a car.

I've been looking, the thing is to make sure to read the terms because some of them have a lot of fees and high interest.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 29,235 times
I just got off the phone with Hertz Corporate regarding renting a Hertz vehicle with a debit card, and specifically asked about the " credit check ". The lady informed me, at Hertz Corporate, that the " credit check " is used to verify the funds are available on your debit card to cover the estimated cost of the vehicle rental, plus an additional hold of $140.00. They do NOT check your credit score. They use Experian to do the funds availability check, as Experian, I'm guessing, is more than just a credit scoring company. My suggestion would be to contact Hertz Corporate directly, and NOT the people making the reservations on the phone. They are the ones that make Hertz's policies, not the reservation desk.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 24,494 times
The dates on this thread are from 2009-10. It is now 2013 (almost 2014). Does anyone know if Enterprise checks your credit to use as a criteria for renting or not renting. I am interested in renting a car in the Seattle area the first week of December. I am in a similar situation; credit at the moment shows a very low score, due to a recent divorce, but I have a debit card with the Visa logo from a well known bank, and if a rental company needs to hold funds for renting the car, then that is no problem either.

Does anyone have experience with Enterprise's rental policies recently, that I can learn from? Thanks ... and if anyone knows of rental companies in Seattle that DON'T rely on your credit score to determine if you are a worthy human being, then please share with me as well. I would be grateful. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2013, 01:12 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur777 View Post
The dates on this thread are from 2009-10. It is now 2013 (almost 2014). Does anyone know if Enterprise checks your credit to use as a criteria for renting or not renting. I am interested in renting a car in the Seattle area the first week of December. I am in a similar situation; credit at the moment shows a very low score, due to a recent divorce, but I have a debit card with the Visa logo from a well known bank, and if a rental company needs to hold funds for renting the car, then that is no problem either.

Does anyone have experience with Enterprise's rental policies recently, that I can learn from? Thanks ... and if anyone knows of rental companies in Seattle that DON'T rely on your credit score to determine if you are a worthy human being, then please share with me as well. I would be grateful. Thanks!
I have rented from Enterprise with a debit card... but they only allow that when you have a round trip flight itinerary. They requested a copy and allowed me to rent a car.

If you have that you should be fine.

Otherwise you'll need a credit card. I know a lot of rental companies are relaxing their policies but with Enterprise this is the only way I was able to rent with debit.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:57 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
I typically use Alamo, and they don't have a problem with debit cards as long as you have proof of return flight. Should Enterprise falter, Alamo is a good place to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel