U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:54 AM

635 posts, read 1,405,248 times

Advertisements

Ok...I'm planning a Florida vacation and I wanted some input on the reliability of these online package websites. So far Priceline sounds amazing on prices for the Melbourne/CoCoa Beach areas. But I used travelocity before and was even sent a confirmation but the reservations were wrong with the hotel (not even for the right month).

Has anyone had good luck with these packages? Do you reserve and get tickets in the mail? How do they work? If anyone has a better idea to get a good deal...please reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We live here, why would we plan vacations here? You might be better off asking this on a travel board.
No reason...Florida seems to be a vacation hotspot. I figured I could get advice from any state from anyone that uses online travel discounts. I just figured that I picked Florida so why not post it in Florida. I'm not asking for a travel planner...just some input on the websites. I am sorry if that offends you.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:43 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,373,253 times
I have booked most of my recent vacations and trips to see my family through Travelocity and have had a good experience each time. I usually only use them when I do a bundle of airfare with a hotel. I always use a specific car rental company because I get a company discount. If I only need the hotel, I usually go through the website for the hotel directly. Like I said, I have had very few screw ups with this planning. I usually also compare 2-3 websites for the same package as well as move my flights to different weekdays to see if there is a dramatic change in the price.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:09 PM

9 posts, read 20,019 times
From my experience, I recommend you look through the various websites to get an idea of what you want and then go to a travel agent to book the trip. The reason why is because Travel Agents can offer discounts above and beyond what Travelocity and Priceline, etc. can. Even more importantly is that if you start to have problems with the trip, good luck trying to get thru to an on-line agency. Their focus is to sell and will give you the runaround if problems arise. The biggest problem is if you are flying from a city where winter weather can cause havoc on your travel plans, and you run into delays or cancellations, you can call a travel agent right from the airport to rebook you on the next flight. You will sit on hold forever trying to get thru to a an on-line agency. And contrary to popular belief, you Do Not pay extra for a travel agent's services. They earn their money thru commissions. The only thing they charge for is if you are just buying an airline ticket and everyone does that these days. I hope that helps.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I have booked most of my recent vacations and trips to see my family through Travelocity and have had a good experience each time. I usually only use them when I do a bundle of airfare with a hotel. I always use a specific car rental company because I get a company discount. If I only need the hotel, I usually go through the website for the hotel directly. Like I said, I have had very few screw ups with this planning. I usually also compare 2-3 websites for the same package as well as move my flights to different weekdays to see if there is a dramatic change in the price.
Thank You. If I just want a hotel I just go to their site too. I found it to be quick and reliable and I have gotten internet specials that way.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naeren View Post
From my experience, I recommend you look through the various websites to get an idea of what you want and then go to a travel agent to book the trip. The reason why is because Travel Agents can offer discounts above and beyond what Travelocity and Priceline, etc. can. Even more importantly is that if you start to have problems with the trip, good luck trying to get thru to an on-line agency. Their focus is to sell and will give you the runaround if problems arise. The biggest problem is if you are flying from a city where winter weather can cause havoc on your travel plans, and you run into delays or cancellations, you can call a travel agent right from the airport to rebook you on the next flight. You will sit on hold forever trying to get thru to a an on-line agency. And contrary to popular belief, you Do Not pay extra for a travel agent's services. They earn their money thru commissions. The only thing they charge for is if you are just buying an airline ticket and everyone does that these days. I hope that helps.
Actually...that is very helpful. Thank you. You are absolutely right about calling the online agencies. When my plans fell through, I could not get a hold of anyone. I do not want to be left holding the bag if something does not work out the way it was intended.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:20 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,373,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Thank You. If I just want a hotel I just go to their site too. I found it to be quick and reliable and I have gotten internet specials that way.
TripAdvisor is a great website for seeing others hotel review and what hotels are generally considered the best in an area as well!

Old 11-25-2009, 03:40 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,810,090 times
I have used Priceline for Car and hotel rentals, never had a problem, saved lots of money bidding. If you use priceline and decide to bid, go to Priceline and Hotwire Forum to see what people are getting before you bid.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,000,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Ok...I'm planning a Florida vacation and I wanted some input on the reliability of these online package websites. So far Priceline sounds amazing on prices for the Melbourne/CoCoa Beach areas. But I used travelocity before and was even sent a confirmation but the reservations were wrong with the hotel (not even for the right month)..
Biddingfortravel.com has the best explanations of how Priceline works. Read all the FAQs.

Last April, I was able to book 3-4* hotels throughout Florida for $30-40 + taxes and fees on Priceline and was exptremely pleased. The prices were roughly 30-40% of the Travelocity/Orbitz/Expedia prices.

On the few occasions where I have had problems with the on-line services, I have had little problem getting resolution. My experiences with on-line have been SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER than my experiences with the large travel agencies - Carlson Wagonlit, Maritz, Gerber, etc.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:45 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,659,080 times
I have used both along with Expedia. I also used trip advisor to check out the remarks made by people in the area I am looking at. Although I also look at the agenda of the people makeing the remarks. As in I don't need room serivice and resort and if someone is complaining in the manner they do I take that into account.

When I book tickets now I look at the prices of each outfit see what kinds of discounts they offer then I call the places, car rentals etc I want to use and tell them I can book for this price but if I go through you can you give me a better discount. It seems to work. As far as air travel I have found today it is cheaper and better upgrades to deal with airlines themselves along with hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel