Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:07 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea26 View Post
And for your san diego- rome comparation- please let me know when sd will visit as many tourists per year as rome. And that is also a fact that makes one city better than the other- if san diego was worth visiting than lots of ppl would visit it. and i don't know how many europeans vish to visit san diego but i know that there are loads of american tourists in rome.
Show me the numbers. You're all talk, but without any proof. San Diego has tourists year round, because it is warm here all the time. Rains only a couple of times a year, sunny, and gorgeous beaches. In fact, it gets to be quite annoying having to deal with huge crowds every single day, when all the locals want to do is enjoy their city. San Diego has some of the best beaches in the world. Most American tourists who go to Rome do so as a cruise ship excursion, and are there for a few hours at best. And maybe it's because of the cost of visiting San Diego that the Europeans don't want to visit. After spending 20 Euros on coffee, they don't have enough for travel.

Not only do tons and tons of Europeans visit here, but many live and work at the local universities. In fact, UCSD employs more people from Europe than anywhere else! Some of the neighborhoods near the university are filled with so many of them, that English is rarely, if ever, heard.

You're trying to make it seem like Europe is this amazing place. It's not, really, so get off your high horse. Like I said, I was born and raised there and the majority of my family is still there. I've been all over Europe, since our family trips entailed going to neighboring countries. Is it nice to visit them? Of course, because then I appreciate the US a lot more. I have dual citizenship and if I had to choose, the US will always be #1 cause quite frankly, we're just that much better than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Quoted for the massive truth contained. Paris is the New York of France, and if anyone thinks Parisians are rude to foreigners, they should see how they treat other Frenchmen. I freakin' love Paris, but the locals are busy people with things to do and places to be, and that's just the way it is.
The ironic thing is, that Paris is no more representative of France than New York is representative of the United States. They both exist as islands of seperate and distinct cultures on their own.

As for the French, well they seem to hate everyone. And everyone returns the favor. English hate them, Dutch hate them, German's hate them. It's all historical/medieval/religious/soccer crap. American's wouldn't understand.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:54 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
As for the French, well they seem to hate everyone.
Do they? I have been to France many many times and never experienced any "hate". On the contrary, I have always found the French to be rather pleasant.

There is an awful lot of stereotyping in this thread.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:06 PM

16 posts, read 38,515 times
oh mak come on. It seems that you are trying to convince yourself that usa is great.
Well it is great that you like usa that much and that you think it is a great place to live- i think that same about europe.
p.s- rent some michael moore movies about your great country.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Michael Moore is a blow-hard and the only audience that adores him is overseas...

He is an embarrassment... but... no law against that.

With his money, he could choose to live anywhere and he hasn't moved yet.

It goes both ways when one's opinion is formed through the eyes of Hollywood make believe...

Old 12-21-2009, 02:42 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Michael Moore? Is that the best you can come up with? If you are so against the US, why are you even considering moving to NYC? We don't want you here, stay in your close minded little world. Like I said, I've lived many years in both places, have tons of family in Europe and posess dual citizenship. I'm speaking as a native of Europe when I say that the US is much, much better. There really is no comparison.

It really sounds to me like you need to get out and travel some more, especially since you think Michael Moore is the authority of the US. Mark Twain's quote sums you up perfectly, "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Old 12-21-2009, 03:18 PM

i didn't say in any of my posts that usa sucks or anything else. I only said that I don't like ppl complainig about prices when travel. You can complain about gas prices but you must use car- so that is ok- but why complain about prices in Europe. Nobody force you to go here.
only you hate everything here. If water costs 10$ on statue of liberty- i wouldn't write title: DONT GO TO USA.
I don't know what is "much, much better" in usa, but if you think so-ok. I don't have problems with your opinions. I'm just wondering why are you so histerical about my opinion- that europe is also good (not much, much better as you said)

Old 12-22-2009, 03:36 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea26 View Post
i didn't say in any of my posts that usa sucks or anything else.
Who do you think you're kidding? You've spent every post going on about how much better Europe is than the USA and then you sarcastically refer to the USA as a great country.

Quote:
If water costs 10$ on statue of liberty- i wouldn't write title: DONT GO TO USA.
And all of us have equally giving the OP a hard time about that as well - in terms of that, I think we're all on the same page. But having a superior attitude about Europe over the USA is not the way to prove the OP wrong. That kind of arrogance is no less ignorant than refusing to go to Europe over some expensive water.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:19 AM

PA2UK don't you read what Mak wrote. He wrote like in every post how usa is better- and i didn't in any of posts.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:34 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Ed, when we were in Sweden/Norway and Finland, there where sections (towns, provinces) that used the Euros! Was a bit of a pain as we had to carry both currencies. Stores and establishments had signs next to their entrances stating which they accepted! Then there were the signs denouncing Euros!!

If I visited these countries (or Switzerland), I'd make a point to use the local currency, Crowns, Pounds or whatever.
These contries refused the Euro for good reasons (many Germans are also against the Euro, they make the joke Euro= Teuro which means everything is getting more expensive because the Euro).
A lot of Europeans don't agree with the official government propaganda that Euro is a success, right now an Euro country (Greece) is experiencing a grave financial depression that could overlap to other European countries.
The only good thing about the Euro (in my opinion of "seasoned traveller") is that it enables me to travel more outside of Europe because it is a strong currency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel