U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:54 AM

3,292 posts, read 10,593,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by datafor View Post
I am going to Europe next month. Well, if beer is cheaper than water, I'd rather drink it only.
Works for me.

I haven't found beer to be cheaper than water, but I've found beer and wine to be generally cheaper than the U.S. overall. In terms of how much cheaper, that depends on where you're going. You can also drink tap water in most places. The only places I've heard where it can be "iffy" are Portugal and Hungary. My father accidently drank a glass in Budapest and his stomach got a little upset. I did the same thing and was fine (but I was also fine when I accidentally drank tap water in Peru, so I think I have a strong stomach). Otherwise, we always ordered tap water in England, France, Spain, Italy, and Austria (on a side note, Venice's tap water is amazing, don't even bother with bottles there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 12:00 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,362,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Stay at home and save money.

Get rid of the Travel thread- travelling costs money!

Better yet, there are some who should stay home so the Queen's Loyal Subjects won't think ALL of us Yanks are stupid and can't do research...

Old 12-04-2009, 02:32 PM

21,363 posts, read 33,063,111 times
I took a backpack trip last summer 08, I kept the same water bottles and refilled them with tap water. The water in most of Europe is way better than tap water from the states.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:55 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,559,537 times
Posts like this amaze me. Travel doesn't come cheaply, never really has, hello, just follow the economy or economic conditions and there's the answer!

I traveled to England the first time 25 yrs. ago in 1984, it was a great experience. I went back in 1996 and in 2005, yes things cost more and so be it, I wanted to go and it doesn't come cheaply.

When I was in Germany, Austria etc., I always had beer with my lunch, cheaper than anything else. In Italy, Greece of course it was wine. I didn't drink one Pepsi or other soda on any of my many trips and never paid for water. If I wanted water, I filled my water bottle, I've never gotten sick (of course, I don't drink water in Mexico or a 3rd world country).

I don't buy water here, so why would I buy it on vacation? I'm a water drinker, I drink a great deal but I will not buy bottled water.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:59 AM

233 posts, read 655,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyear View Post
Euro's and Europe{aka amsterdam} will rip you off!!

Just ask this Canadian that had a son and daughter travel for 1 week. Watch your baggage!! Water is 7 euros??? what?? Beer is cheaper than water? I don' t get it. It"s amazing the cost to visit the UK. If you are going to go, check everything online.
don't blame euro's , europe or any other countries currency. Blame Ben Bernanke for debasing our dollar, making it worthless

Old 12-08-2009, 07:50 AM

12,329 posts, read 18,437,797 times
The only issue I had the other week in Netherlands was the size of the beers - little 8 oz milk glasses. Netherlands isn't a beer country like Germany or Belgium.

Water isn't 7 euros, maybe 3 or 4. The thing is that it isn't automatically provided with your meals. Regardless of the exchange rate, things are expensive in Europe. My expenses were paid by my company, but when you are on your own you just budget for it and learn how to save (buy lunches from little markets, stay at budget hotels, etc). You think people really get socialized health care and the other entitlements offered to their citizens for free? They pay for it in everything they, or a visitor, buys. You are potentially experiencing the US prices of tommorrow.

Some things are cheaper and more readily available in Amsterdam - train travel, some excellent museams...and I will stop there.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:37 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,172,315 times
Ha I can't imagine paying that much for water! When I backpacked through Europe in 2008 I bought 1.5 liter bottles for a day and if I remember correctly they ranged from .75 to 3 Euros. The OP must have not strayed very far from the tourist sites.

To my shame I did buy some very expensive water one time while in Florence. I was climbing a hill with a wonderful view of the city and forgot to by my bottle. Well, upon reaching the top in the hot sun I was parched and there was one guy up there with a cart and he was selling small bottles of water for 5-6 euros i believe.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

Beer is not cheap. If you want to do Europe on the cheap, don't drink. Save that for Asia.
Depends on the countries I believe. Much of Asia has expensive alcohol compared to buying soft drinks or water. Even China.

Some European countries have expensive beer but others like Portugal are quite cheap comparatively. I would love some Super Bock or Sagres right now!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,058,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyear View Post
Euro's and Europe{aka amsterdam} will rip you off!!

Just ask this Canadian that had a son and daughter travel for 1 week. Watch your baggage!! Water is 7 euros??? what?? Beer is cheaper than water? I don' t get it. It"s amazing the cost to visit the UK. If you are going to go, check everything online.
I was in France/Belgium for two weeks [business] last month and the large cities are very expensive now.
A little cheaper in the outlying areas, but not much.
We (5 people) had dinner at a restaurant in Belgium one night that came to €1400

But having a thread telling people 'not to go' is a bit silly, IMHO.
Travel has always been expensive.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I was in France/Belgium for two weeks [business] last month and the large cities are very expensive now.
A little cheaper in the outlying areas, but not much.
We (5 people) had dinner at a restaurant in Belgium one night that came to 1400

But having a thread telling people 'not to go' is a bit silly, IMHO.
Travel has always been expensive.
It's expensive only if you make it so. If you want to go to the poshest place then you can expect ridiculous prices! You could easily have had a laid back and filling meal of Belgian cuisine for under 10 Euro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel